Guest beckeithking

Spouse visa waiting times???

Guest beckeithking

Hi, My husband and I put in our spousal visa in February - received at IMMI on 16/2/12 and are yet to be allocated a case worker.

Can anyone tell me how long this normally takes?

And how long should I expect to wait for the visa to be granted?

Prehaps I am being impatient but 6 weeks seems ages! But we did it ourselves and not with an agent - assumed this is why it is taking longer.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Bec x

Hi becks,

My wife's visa took about 5 months.

It only took 5 days for a case officer to be granted from day of posting.

We did it all. In my opinion you don't need an agent for a spouse visa

If I can help with anything else just ask.

Mis

Ps good luck

I think the current turnaround is about 5 months ATM from what I read elsewhere. Doesn't seem to be much under that and can be longer.

And unless you have a complicated case you shouldn't need an agent. Doesn't make it any quicker either as I understand it.

Guest beckeithking

Thank you Mis,

We are a pretty basic case but still get nervous.

I am concerned that we don't have a case officer. Should that not have happened by now?

Will give it a bit longer.

Might take you up on the questions if needed!!

Bec xx

Hi becks,

My wife's visa took about 5 months.

It only took 5 days for a case officer to be granted from day of posting.

We did it all. In my opinion you don't need an agent for a spouse visa

If I can help with anything else just ask.

Mis

Ps good luck

I think 6 weeks is a long time for a case officer. Call Australia House in London they will be able to help. If you do not have any joy there let me know.

Our spouse application took about 4 days. We were told if you lodge a complete application, there's usually no waiting.

I think it has changed a little now Leigh as they don't like you loading your application with the Police checks and more especially the Health Results...................I could be wrong though. Ours was quite straight forward as we provided loads of info to show that we were a genuine couple and didn't have any strange requiests from the CO for extra info. Even so it still took 5 months and that would seem about average when you look at PIO site.

We only did it less than a year ago? And they told us to front load the application.

But we were in oz, so maybe offshore applications differ slightly.

Could be the offshore ting then. I know that they don't like to front load now offshore as they have the new medical computer links and you need reference numbers to link you medical to you visa app. ^ weeks is still along time to be waiting for a CO though onshore or offshore!

Guest beckeithking

Thanks all,

I phoned the embassy and it appears we were allocated a case worker after 2 days but the e-mail never made it to us.

Back on track now and getting medical and police checks done. They said about 5 months to wait.

Fingers crossed all goes smoothly, Thanks for the advice.

Becsx

Glad they sorted things out for you. I though it was strange that you hadn't for so long. 5 months is about the average time who is your CO? Don't put their name on here just their initials. I was going to suggest that if they were being unhelpful to drop me a PM as I have a very useful contact in Australia House who usually gets answers, quickly ;-) Good luck with the Police checks and the medical. Mis

Guest beckeithking

Our CO is WP, was very understanding and we should be sorted soon. Thanks for the offer - will keep that in mind.

Just a quick question - do you have duel citizenship? I haven't but have been thinking of it for a long time.

Bec x

Glad they sorted things out for you. I though it was strange that you hadn't for so long. 5 months is about the average time who is your CO? Don't put their name on here just their initials. I was going to suggest that if they were being unhelpful to drop me a PM as I have a very useful contact in Australia House who usually gets answers, quickly ;-) Good luck with the Police checks and the medical. Mis

Hi Bec,

Are you from Oz or your partner from Oz? If you are from the UK you can get citizenship once you have been in Oz for 2 Years.

My two kids have dual citizenship and also have Aussie Passports. I have a UK passport and an Oz one now.

Cheers,

Mis

Guest beckeithking

It is me that is Australian and as of yet - no UK passport. Was thinking it would be a good idea.

You never know when you might need it!

Bec x

Hi Bec,

Are you from Oz or your partner from Oz? If you are from the UK you can get citizenship once you have been in Oz for 2 Years.

My two kids have dual citizenship and also have Aussie Passports. I have a UK passport and an Oz one now.

Cheers,

Mis

It is me that is Australian and as of yet - no UK passport. Was thinking it would be a good idea.

You never know when you might need it!

Bec x

A few possible snags in this. You'd need to qualify (time wise) for citizenship and then hold a UK passport. As you (well your partner has) lodged a visa application for a spouse visa to go live overseas it doesn't exactly comply with the requirements of applying for citizenship as I understand it. You are supposed to apply with intent to stay as a resident of the UK, not apply while in the process of planning to leave. Applying for it now, when its clear you are as a couple applying to live elsewhere could be problematic. You have to be truthful in your application. I know my hubby has looked into this as he is an Aussie.

Also there is the cost. Its over £1000 for citizenship application iirc. Then the passport on top of that. I'd do your homework carefully before applying for it. If you plan to leave and are already in the system with the visa application to Aus then it might be risking it being refused or some such.

Of course, it might not be a problem but I do know when we did research into it those things cropped up as concerns and things to be wary of. Also the main thing that I recall was that we hadn't started our (my) visa process for Aus and so there would be no big concerns there as we are going to be in the UK for a whiles yet.

Guest beckeithking

Thank you Snifter,

I was wondering about this - should have done it ages ago ( been here over 12 yrs!!)

But moving has come quicker than expected with job situation.

I will definitely do some serious research, have a feeling I might have missed that boat! Never mind - not the end of the world.

Appreciate the comments.

Bec xx

A few possible snags in this. You'd need to qualify (time wise) for citizenship and then hold a UK passport. As you (well your partner has) lodged a visa application for a spouse visa to go live overseas it doesn't exactly comply with the requirements of applying for citizenship as I understand it. You are supposed to apply with intent to stay as a resident of the UK, not apply while in the process of planning to leave. Applying for it now, when its clear you are as a couple applying to live elsewhere could be problematic. You have to be truthful in your application. I know my hubby has looked into this as he is an Aussie.

Also there is the cost. Its over £1000 for citizenship application iirc. Then the passport on top of that. I'd do your homework carefully before applying for it. If you plan to leave and are already in the system with the visa application to Aus then it might be risking it being refused or some such.

Of course, it might not be a problem but I do know when we did research into it those things cropped up as concerns and things to be wary of. Also the main thing that I recall was that we hadn't started our (my) visa process for Aus and so there would be no big concerns there as we are going to be in the UK for a whiles yet.