Guest Lindsaypu

river fishing

I am! Will def be bringing my course fishing gear with me....but have no idea what to expect. I hear Carp are a major problem and need to be killed if caught.

Guest Barney Rubble
    I am! Will def be bringing my course fishing gear with me....but have no idea what to expect. I hear Carp are a major problem and need to be killed if caught.

Correct, will be doing a spot of fishing at friends shack this weekend.

We keep a machete next to the rods

Carp are a real pest here.

Guest paddyfg

Hi,

I am an avid fly fisherman and have done all sorts of fishing including course fishing. You dont have to travel far to catch carp and the lower sections of the Torrens is a great place. The upper reaches are stocked with trout, as are all the major streams throughout SA. The River Murray is plentiful and a recent trip saw 300 caught in 3 days. Got to admit I was bored hauling them in.

I have found the Broughton River to be the best river in SA and has a varity of fish including Murray Cod. The river around Spalding flows through private property and the landowners are easily approached. A stay in the Spalding hotel is a must.

My only advise is join a local club (freshwater fishers or the like) as I did 25 years ago...I gained a wealth of knowledge and met new friends.

Having exhausted the rivers of SA, I will soon be moving to Tasmania to continue with my passion.