Kayak fun...

Guest Damien

Guest Damien

A few weeks ago I had the daft idea to buy a proper fishing kayak as the little bays down here are usually nice and calm. Anyway, I had my second go from the 'yak last week (finally recovered and able to write this). I launched in Gerloff's Bay with a mate, Hoggy (a SARDI diver) and promptly fished the spot where I caught KGW on the maiden voyage, only about 100m from shore. After about an hour Hoggy, bless him, decided my anchor wasn't good enough and gave me about 2kg of lead attached to some rope. We paddled back out, I went to set the anchor and, with my cacky balance and the swell, well, to put it simply.......I fell off my kayak! Problem was for the first time I hadn't put my $500 worth of rod and reel into the holder, so not only did I get a proper dunking but I lost my favourite rod. Bugger.

After lots of ribbing and giggles Hoggy towed me in and then lent me a telescopic rod that I reckon would have graced the pages of an Argos catologue. The reel was even worse. I didn't want to fish after that but thought 'no, better try as he went to the effort'. I reluctantly relaunched but thought better of anchoring so drifted and BANG! Snagged my first legal snapper! 47cm! On a telescopic rod! It towed me right round the bay. Great fun (and bloody good eating).

Even better, Hoggy went diving the next day and I couldn't believe it when he came into the office with my rod - he'd found it! Star!

Bet you can't catch KGW and good snapper from a kayak Metro hey!

Damo

Guest yogi64

Well Damo, I hate to burst your bubble but theres plenty of Snapper, KGW, Yellow fin, Mullet, Squid, Mulloway and Salmon, caught in the metro all the time, not far out and sometimes in shallow waters.

Kayak fishing does rock though, plenty of good spots both offshore and in the river systems.

Keep up the good work and tight lines.

Mike

Guest Damien

Hi Mike,

You need to come down here for a visit mate, the average KGW is 35-39cm with 40cm+ common place! Then there's the mulloway, shark, snapper, big salmon (3kg+) etc......the SE is a hidden gem!

There's always a bed in my shed for fishos too....come on down!

And I haven't heard of many 47cm snapper from a kayak metro, the Stanvac Barges are a bit far for a kayak!

Guest yogi64

You don't have to go out to the barges, like a said plenty of spots close in, are you a member of AKFF, you'll soon see plenty of 50's do get caught in the Metro area.

Will be coming down your way soon but not sure if I'm taking the kayak, more of a 4x4 trip I think.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mervo44

I intend to get a kayak. I've been to the store on Daws Road, near South Road. I've viewed all the models and they have a great selection. The rod holders

look really spiffy. I can just see myself parked beyond the end of Brighton Jetty, hauling in Snapper and Whiting, much to the envy of my pals on the jetty. :-)