Guest Damien

Road trip to Gold Coast

Guest Damien

Has anyone driven to the Gold Coast? We're thinking about taking a road trip there in the winter to get some sun.

Guest hulltigers

yer friends of ours went there from hallett cove couple months back, no sun in mount gambia ?

Guest Damien

Yeah Phil, nice and sunny at the mo but I know it'll be a grey winter so just getting ready for it mate. It'll be a 5000km round trip but will be fun....you fancy coming?

No, but it's one of the road trips that my husband dreams about, realistically I know we will have to wait until the kids are off our hands, or a bit older. He did it with a mate back when he was in his 20s. We drove to Broken Hill last year and that's about my daughter's limit. We were thinking of driving from the Gold Coast to Adelaide, as when we moved from the UK we flew into Brisbane and had a holiday on the Gold Coast first. The route we planned was down the coast from The Gold Coast through Byron Bay (lovely), then on to Coffs Harbour (always wanted to visit it - I did once but was fast asleep on an overnight coach!), then Armidale, Tamworth (figured there would be plenty of accommodation there), Coonabarabran, Dubbo, Nyngan, Cobar, Wilcannia (don't stop there!), Broken Hill (a great place), then Adelaide. After Dubbo you could go Parkes, West Wyalong then across the Hay plain but the scenary gets a bit boring that way. Going the Broken Hill way you go right through the desert/outback, I love the scenary out there. Would be pretty cold at night in the winter, plus it gets dark earlier so you have less driving time, it's not recommended to drive after dark because of kangaroos/cattle on the road. The drive would take several days, it's about 5 hours just to get to Broken Hill. As long as you've got plenty of time on your hands it would be great, but if you are driving both ways it might not leave you with much time in the Gold Coast.

Guest teamV

Nic Manchester off here drove across with the kids in the car ,when her hubby couldn't find work ,I think they just drove all day and stopped at night ,I bet it was hard work.

Kev.