Parents visiting for the first time

Guest Paula H

Guest Paula H

Hi all

How many weeks would you say is best for parents visiting for the 1st time? My m wants to book her flights now for next jan (we move this sept) but we are all not sure on how long it should be for esp as we would be putting them up accommodation wise

Any advice is appreciated

Guest leeannekays

Hi Paula, my mum is flying out in January next year, she leaves the uk on 20th Jan and arrives in Oz 22nd Jan and returns to the uk on 13th Feb. She wants time with the childen home from school then time once they go back to school (around 1st Feb) to join in school runs etc and us also having time together.

Leeanne x

Hey, totally depends on you really - my mum, step dad, brother and grandma came out for the first time Christmas 2010 for 3weeks, then Mum returned on her own for 3 weeks in Jan 2012. Both were awesome! For me, I'd want them to stay as long as possible as I miss them and we have a close relationship... that said, it was definitely easier having just one guest rather than four - but that's totally normal I think.

It also depends on your lifestyle, if you can have time off work etc, budget, family expectations.

A few things that I think have made visits a success - family or friends - for me over the past 4 years:

- Not trying to be 'the entertainer' or 'host' 24/7 - ends in tears/exhaustion!

- Asking visitors what they want to do - some will be ultra interested in eg wine regions, others couldn't care less and will just want to spend heaps of time at the beach etc. My mum loved wandering all the botanic gardens and spending up a storm on Jetty Road Glenelg!

- Consider getting visitors a pay as you go sim card to put in an old mobile phone/their UK phone if unlocked so you can be in touch easily and cheapily if you're at work etc and they're out and about

- Having an extra car that visitors can use is great if you're working when you have guests - I was able to borrow a work car and leave my car for my mum some days, so she could do a few trips on her own.

- A few days break in the middle of a long trip can be very healthy for all parties when you have house guests. Budget permitting, if you could treat your parents to something like a long weekend break in a wine region/similar, you can have a bit of 'you' time to catch up on 'normal life' and you can all then re-convene fresher... alternatively, maybe they could go on a tour of kangaroo island/flinders ranges/trip to melbourne or sydney for 2 or 3 nights whilst you work?

Hope that's some food for thought =) Enjoy having your parents stay!