guspjmh

What to do with household stuff when moving

Hi all. When we make the move to Adelaide, we are selling our house and getting rid of most of our stuff, bringing only very little across. Does anyone know of any reputable firms who do house clearance, but pay for the furniture etc in the UK?

I have too much to put it all on gumtree etc, but it would be a shame to let it all go for free.

Guest css

How about having a garage sale ? Put a big sign outside your house saying the date you'll be having it and remove all your precious things or put them in a separate room,could be fun !

Has anyone ever tried this? I live on a quiet cul-de-sac so unlikely to attract many people, otherwise it would be an option. I was just wondering what others in this position have done?

My advice would be to bring as much with you as you can. We were the same as you. Im not taking that I can buy new over in oz, but when you get here and you price things ip and see how quick money goes you will wish you had spent that extra on shipment and brought it with you :)

Guest Guest6899

I agree with Sharon, starting all over here again and having to purchase new or second hand things here can be expensive, i would also suggest bring what you can. we bought a 20ft container full but as our new house is much bigger we have had to purchase new furniture to fit and spent 1000s. i would dread to add up if we had needed to start again, i would even have bought the cars with hindsight!!

Edited by Guest6899

Don't panic, chaps!! You can't beat K-Mart, Target or Coles for kids' clothes in Oz (this includes all beach-wear/school trousers/polo shirts etc). Kids' clothes are not more expensive in Oz than the UK. When I was in Adelaide last (Oct,'11-Jan,'12), for example polo shirts for boys (aged 11) were only $2 -- equivalent to £1.25. That's dirt cheap by anyone's standads -- and perfectly fine, qualitywise. Just go online(K-Mart; Coles; Woolies; Target) and find out for yourselves before you start stocking up with stuff for the kids.

I promise you there's no need to panic-buy before you leave the UK, as things are not as expensive in Oz if you shop around as you might be led to believe.

Guest Guest6899

I don't think they were talking about clothes, yes clothes are the same as UK. Have a look on IKEA adelaide, fantastic furniture, super amart, the good guys,lecornu they will give you some ideas of costs. You can also buy second hand and pick up some bargains but when you move and you paying out lots in fees, bonds, cars etc it can be expensive to start all over again. Nobody is saying "panic" just giving opinions as we have been though it recently.

Edited by Guest6899