Skilled migrants having trouble getting jobs?

Hello All

Back in November 2008 I posted the thread below with an article attached from The Advertiser.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/7014-newspaper-article-skilled-migrants-having-trouble-getting-jobs.html

I am now in the process of completing a qualification in Career Development and I have chose to use skilled migrants as my target group for my first assignment.

I am interested in skilled migrants opinions on what you feel are the issues faced by skilled migrants eg barriers to employment and any other issues you feel are relevant to making your new life a success or reasons why record numbers of migrants are returning to the UK, especially as 3.5 years has now passed since the article was printed. Is the article still applicable in April 2012 as it was in November 2008?

I would especially appreciate the input of the people who contributed to my initial thread to see how things are 3.5 years later and whether your views have changed.

Thank you

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jennet
Hello All

Back in November 2008 I posted the thread below with an article attached from The Advertiser.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/7014-newspaper-article-skilled-migrants-having-trouble-getting-jobs.html

I am now in the process of completing a qualification in Career Development and I have chose to use skilled migrants as my target group for my first assignment.

I am interested in skilled migrants opinions on what you feel are the issues faced by skilled migrants eg barriers to employment and any other issues you feel are relevant to making your new life a success or reasons why record numbers of migrants are returning to the UK, especially as 3.5 years has now passed since the article was printed. Is the article still applicable in April 2012 as it was in November 2008?

I would especially appreciate the input of the people who contributed to my initial thread to see how things are 3.5 years later and whether your views have changed.

Thank you

this sounds a really interesting assignment to do, it will also help the migrants problem finding and getting jobs, good research will find those many issues that are causing the migrants not getting work, you may mind valid points too. I am not there yet have 12 weeks till we fly but i have been researching the migration process for years and i could easily give you a few answers what i think is the issue and speaking with my migration agent based in adelaide some are obvious. but not willing to state on here.

hope you enjoy finding interesting answers and points:idea:

This may sound like a rant so here goes:

After reading posts on this forum it appears that most migrants want to live in Adelaide next to the beach. However South Australia is a teeny bit bigger than Adelaide - next to the beach.

South Oz has lots of regional and rural areas that need skilled migrants. I'm sure that if people were willing to live in outlying areas they would find work...and could visit the beach for holidays.

This is Poms in Adelaide though, not Poms in rural South Australia.

I've been here a year and can't find work. I managed to get a 3 month contract and ended up working there for 10 months. As soon as they discover I am from the UK they seem to lose interest and inform me I lack enough local experience. Even when interviewing for a job that I could do with my eyes shut. Is it 'cos I is English?

Decided to give up on Adelaide. Apparently I'm not inbred enough.

That's correct, this is Poms in Adelaide. But visas are granted in the hope that migrants will live where the work is, especially SS visa class.

I'm shocked that employers have given you the 'lack local experience' line. My hubby is a mechanic and had too many job offers to chose from because he's a pom (well that's what potential employers told him). Even now after 5 years he still gets other 'garages' trying to poach him! Apparently poms work harder bla bla bla.

Hey Jim and Adele,

Like I said, I was having a rant. I think it depends on your trade etc. I think it also depends on where you are willing to live/travel. We know of people who won't budge from the CBD/metro areas and they are really struggling but if they moved to the Barossa they would survive...and thrive...and the beach is only an hour away!

I'm shocked that employers have given you the 'lack local experience' line. My hubby is a mechanic and had too many job offers to chose from because he's a pom (well that's what potential employers told him). Even now after 5 years he still gets other 'garages' trying to poach him! Apparently poms work harder bla bla bla.

I think it all depends on your profession though. Some jobs are the same all over the world, and some differ greatly. Mine does differ quite a bit in Oz. Although I managed to do the job with no issues for the ten months, that seems to count for nothing. I would happily move to a regional area, but all of my work seems to be in and around the CBD.

Hi Jessica, I arrived in Adelaide in 2009 with my partner on a skilled/regional visa 496. My qualifications are postgraduate level marketing plus more than 25 years experience in marketing and public relations. My partner worked for Cadburys chocolate and is also a qualified butcher. Since we arrived he has been in work almost the whole time working in an industry that has pretty much disappeared in the UK - manufacturing of car components. This new area of work has given him a new trade and a renewed confidence in his abilities a new group of friends from many diverse cultures and backgrounds.

I have had more problems with work and it took me 4 months to get a job initially. I worked at the same place for six months and when the contract ended I thought I would find it easier to get another job because I now had experience of working in the Australian job market and some good references. However, I was out of work again for six months, apart from a couple of freelance projects, and eventually landed a temp job through a friend of a friend. It is very much 'who you know' I have found - Adelaide is just a big country town that looks out for its own.

Since then I have had various other casual positions but permanent roles seem to be more evasive despite reaching the interview stage several times. I have become more relaxed about the situation and make sure that when I am working that I save for the down times and this seems to be working, especially as I have had several long holidays overseas and in Australia that wouldn't have been possible if I was in a permanent job.

I would say that in 2.5 years I have applied for more than 100 jobs and had about a dozen interviews - more than 50% of applications were not acknowledged at all and I gave up following up - there are only so many hours in a day! Sometimes, months later, I will receive a letter telling me I have been unsucessful with my application for a job I had completely forgotten I applied for it was such a long time ago! Quite bizarre that someone, somewhere is being paid to compose a letter which only draws attention to the company's inadequacies..... I also found the slow turnaround for jobs very frustrating - sometimes weeks would pass and then I would get a call out of the blue asking me to attend an interview. I also found on around half my interviews the line of questioning was completely out of sync with the job description because often the HR contact isn't fully aware of what the manager is looking for. I would advise calling the manager to make sure the job description contains the essential criteria required to do the job so as not to waste your time.

I have also signed up for about 20 agencies over the period and some have put me forward for informal interviews but I didn't get the jobs. I have not had a lot of luck with agencies in general. One job I did get via an agency didn't even require an interview and was the most successful position for me - I have been back to the same place twice over a period of 4 months and made some good contacts.

I find myself comparing the job market here with the UK - I always felt I had the safety net of temping while in the UK and was never out of work for long. The temping market is different here and only very few stand out as being professional and efficient as far as I am concerned.

It has been a difficult couple of years but I have learned to be more grounded about my career aspirations and not to take rejection too personally.

I am hoping that now I have started to build a network and a work reputation plus gaining Australian residency will open more doors for me. Good luck with your assignment. I will be very interested in reading the results and others' experiences. It would be good to see which professions are more successful in securing casual/permanent work and which age groups are also finding it more difficult.

I came over as a gardener/tree surgeon. Worked in that field for 1 week and made the final decision it wasn't for me. 1 month later and I landed a new job/career in customer service/warehouse management. Love it and never been happier. Maybe I was lucky but I believe I must have done something right to get where I am.

I came under the System Administrator (IT) category 5 years ago. I found contract work within a week, a permanent job in 3 weeks which I stayed in for 4 years and last year decided it was time to move on and within 2 weeks and the first interview I had, I had secured another permanent position. I have not found any issues gaining work. I currently earn more than double what I used to earn in the UK and I am at a higher level. Life in Australia is very good for me.

Guest Jennet
I came under the System Administrator (IT) category 5 years ago. I found contract work within a week, a permanent job in 3 weeks which I stayed in for 4 years and last year decided it was time to move on and within 2 weeks and the first interview I had, I had secured another permanent position. I have not found any issues gaining work. I currently earn more than double what I used to earn in the UK and I am at a higher level. Life in Australia is very good for me.

thats really good hope that happens for me when i apply for a job glad you put that on hereas it's needed to have positive aswell as negative

Guest Paula H
Well after a year we are giving up on life in Adelaide and heading elsewhere. Three weeks left here until we leave. There just isn't any work here for me. Looking forward to the move and a bigger city.

Hi

What's your trade?

Guest Guest5035

i came over as a boilermaker, stuck it for 2.5 years then into machine operating, never looked back since, i earn twice the amount as a skilled boilermaker.

stevo

Guest DanandJanna

Hey Jessica

We weren't here in 2008 so can't help you there, since we arrived a couple of years ago we have both done ok for work. Janna had a job to go to but has since moved to a different place and finds it better, she's a nurse so theres plenty about. I was out of work for a couple of weeks when we arrived then found work, got layed off after 6 months but found another job within a week and have been there since, i work in the trades. I know people have very different experiences when it comes to finding work, i think if you need any sort of training to be able to work in an australian industry it counts against you as employers just can't be bothered, this isn't always the case though. On the whole i think there is plenty of work here, you just need to go about your search with the right atitude, be tenacious and of course have a bit of luck.

As far as record numbers moving back i'd say its basically because despite all the obvious pros of here, weather, work, beaches, potential for adventure etc, when it comes down to it its just better in the UK and that eventually sinks in after the initial buzz of moving has worn off, especially if you are living in Adelaide which doesn't although a lovely place lacks a bit of soul. Its hard to define 'better' but if your are born and bred in the uk you probably find everything from pubs, architecture, weather (a proper winter, spring, summer and autumn), culture, humour, landscape, tv, sports, food, roads, driving, proximity to Europe among other things better in the UK. And thats without mentioning all your friends and family being there. Of course it all depends where and what you have left behind. If your not really close to your family, have few decent mates, hate the weather and work then oz is probably a great option. I know its not how everyone feels but i also know a lot of people do feel like that but put a brave face on things here, especially if they have kids as the option of moving back is a nightmare so its a case of making the best of it.

I'd be interested to hear what conclusions you come to once you've done your study.

Evening,

I came over and joined SA police in 2007. Left two years ago and have since secured two Govt positions. Both govt jobs were advertised to everyone. I have not discovered any local favouritism at all.

The missus hadn't worked for eight years when she arrived. She applied for a part time receptionist position at a local hotel three years ago. She is now running the place.

I guess it comes down to attitude. Come with a smile and strong work ethic and you'll go far.

Good luck.

Tony

Morning

Came over 6 months ago on a 176 visa, had job offers in the 1st week, The hardest thing was getting trades changed from UK to AU qulifications. worked as a trades assistant for a while, once I had all my licences theres been no looking back.

Take on whats put in front of you and do it with a smile you'll go along way.

I guess it comes down to attitude. Come with a smile and strong work ethic and you'll go far.

Good luck.

Tony

That pretty well sums it up.

After I got out of Public Service I had almost a dozen years working as an Equities and Bond Trader for a few major banks and knew that Adelaide didn't have a wealth of these positions available. So, I compromised and am still in the field but in a different capacity. We didn't want to move to Sydney or Melbourne (husband has a good job here) so a happy compromise was found however not within a month. It took almost 6 months to find a mutually beneficial fit for both the employer and myself. Also, despite the rosy economic picture the Feds spin in the media, South Australia's economy is moribund at the present.

Sometimes I think that Adelaide is a great place to live... but too bad about the people. But for the most part I manage to find a silver lining in daily interactions with the denizens/locals. The few friends I have here are almost all Aussies and they have been a great help as I have found it is better to mix with the locals during my peripatetic lifestyle; it may be cathartic to whinge with the 'landsmen' now and then but I found it resulted in increasing my sense of isolation and disengagement. My spouse is a great help and is fairly well-connected, so my frustration living in a big small town was quelled somewhat by accepting what I couldn't change; however, I do try to change what I can't accept.:cute:

Edited by emmie

• 2 weeks later...
Take on whats put in front of you and do it with a smile you'll go along way.

Another great quote. In the 5 years I have been here sometimes I have felt as though I am back in my Office Junior job I had when I was 16, getting the boss a steak sandwich, flattening cardboard boxes that the stationery had arrived in and writing out addresses on envelopes because the Accountant couldn't be bothered to write an address, but as you say I smiled sweetly and got on with it and kept in mind the big picture and where I was aiming to get to and that attitude and approach got me to where I am now.

Guest Damien
That pretty well sums it up.

After I got out of Public Service I had almost a dozen years working as an Equities and Bond Trader for a few major banks and knew that Adelaide didn't have a wealth of these positions available. So, I compromised and am still in the field but in a different capacity. We didn't want to move to Sydney or Melbourne (husband has a good job here) so a happy compromise was found however not within a month. It took almost 6 months to find a mutually beneficial fit for both the employer and myself. Also, despite the rosy economic picture the Feds spin in the media, South Australia's economy is moribund at the present.

Sometimes I think that Adelaide is a great place to live... but too bad about the people. But for the most part I manage to find a silver lining in daily interactions with the denizens/locals. The few friends I have here are almost all Aussies and they have been a great help as I have found it is better to mix with the locals during my peripatetic lifestyle; it may be cathartic to whinge with the 'landsmen' now and then but I found it resulted in increasing my sense of isolation and disengagement. My spouse is a great help and is fairly well-connected, so my frustration living in a big small town was quelled somewhat by accepting what I couldn't change; however, I do try to change what I can't accept.:cute:

Bloody hell, too many words I don't understand in this one!

Edited by Damien

Guest Damien

We came over on a SS 176 visa, me working as a brickie. I found it really tough and just when I'd had enough I managed to secure a job with the government, one of way too few in my role in the entire state. I know I was just lucky, I'm the first Fisheries Pom in the state (maybe the country) and my nationality never came into getting the job. I'm now living in the country and have mostly Aussie mates, the mrs doesn't like the weather (much colder than Adelaide) but they send you where the work is. It's certainly a slower pace of life down here, keys left in the car, doors unlocked etc but it's just great! The kids absolutely love it here. Yeah there are ferals but nothing like you get in the city.