Spiders - yuk!

Guest The Waite Family

Guest The Waite Family

I have a very bad phobia of spiders and keep making myself look at pics of them so I know what i'm up against

I've noticed alot of peeps on here keep saying they either bash them or suck them up their hoovers :shocked:

I have had horrifying experiences doing both of these things:

1) stomped on a spider once and although it died immediately it's hundreds of babys that it must have been carrying did not and scuttled away all over the place :shocked: - luckily it was outside but have never ever squashed a spider since and don't intend to.

2) Sucked one up the hoover and was sure it would suffocate in all the dust - that one must have been preggers aswell because during the night hundreds of tiny little baby spiders came marching out of my dyson! :shocked:

So I am a bit concerned (well terrified actually)

I must be mad even contemplating coming to Oz! :goofy:

Dianne

-x-

Guest salisbury massive

The main thing to remember is there are some to let live and some to kill.

i don't get any more spiders in the house than i did in the Uk, and I have 1/2 an acre, quite rural. Huntsmen won't hurt you, i can now put a glass over them and chuck them out. the ones that can bite you I just spray with stuff you buy from the supermarket then chuck em away. I leave them alone if they are outside, only move them if its near where the kids play. Believe me you'll moan about flies more than spiders. I've got more of a mice problem than spiders. In nearly 3 years i reckon i've had 7 spiders in the house. Have you thought of hypnotheraphy before you leave?

Jo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zx6roo

LOL, my hubby bashed one with the vacuum cleaner. Broke that and the spider stood up and walked away!!! And today I found one swiming around in the pool, took me a while but I did get brave and eventually got it out.

(youcan't suck an adult huntsman up in the vacuum cause they are too big, plus you then have to take the bag out and that hasa hole in it!!)

I know what youare going thru. I had therapy before I came out and after all this time I'm ok witht he small ones but still the huntsman freak me out, espically the big ones. I got trapped in the beroom not long ago as it was on the wall by the door. I know I can laugh now but it freak me out big time. I had nothing to hit it with, no phone to call for help. I ended up throwing socks at it but then it went in my wardrobe and in a shoe.... nedless to say after my mum drove 30mins to help me I throw the shoe away, hahahaha.

Huntsman are harmless. There are brown in colour, just big and hairy with long legs *shiver*. If you see one the same but is orange or has white on it underneath or stripey front legs then its a badge spider and they are poisonous and aggressive.

The main spider I've always got are the whitetips which are about 10-20cm long. Kill them because there are two types but you can't tell the difference. Won't go into it as you'll hear about it.

We also get daddy-longs-legs spiders (yes just like the fly). I leave them, even though they are big I have learnt to live with them because they eat redbacks and other nasty spiders. I suggest to learn to love them too.

There are plenty of orb spiders, harmless again but i know your dilemma and to begin with they are terrifying even though so small.

Black house spides, again big, will bite but generall live outside.

Wolf spiders, get the heaps in the hills. Big, walk around on the ground but squash easliy.

Spraying them with the can from teh supermarket i actually really inhuman as you need to cover it's whole body area and it dies in agony. I suggest squashing them.

I wouldn't worry about the spiders. What aboutthe centipedes, scorpions, sharks, snakes, etc. LOL, sorry don't mean to scare you as I really do know what you are going thru. I'm thinking about therapy but the idea of having to touch one makes me feel so sick that I'm put off before pick up the phone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pottertons

I might invest in a spider vaccum before i go out there for the harmless spiders. Its not gonna harm them i can get it up without going too nesr. Like you im dreading the first time i see a huntsman. Even though they are harmless its the size. I just think that tarantulas should be behind a glass case in the zoo!!!! How rude that they are allowed to tresspass in to your home! THe thing that worries me is if they crawl on you in the night_ How do you stop that!!!

Have only seen a couple of Huntman's since we've been here, they're big but harmless. Who cares - hit them with a shoe anyway! The things that REALLY pee me off here are the flies and the ants! I can guarantee if I step out the door with food in my hand then a gazillion flies will instantly appear and head straight for me! If you have a bbq and are foolish enough to invite children, the little darlings will drop food all over your garden and your house and you will be overun with ants within about three minutes. I spend an absolute fortune on ant powder, fly spray, fly swatters, citronella candles - all to no avail, there's just to bloody many!:arghh:

Guest The Pottertons

Ants-Marks favorite course of action is the blowtorch! Keeps him amused for hours and out of my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dont suppose it would make much difference but its great fun apparently!!! Does anything eat the ants?

Guest mossmac

Like you, Dianne, I also hate spiders and am hoping the spiders in Australia are no worse than the ones I saw in Africa, where I lived for many years! Huntsman spiders sound really gross. Are they really as big as people say they are? A friend of ours got bitten by a white tip or is it white tail spider about six years ago in bed and still has the bite mark. I think I will be investing in a mosquito net, like I did when I was in Africa. Don't like the idea of a spider finding its way into my bed!

Sarah

Guest kenmcfadyen

So it seems that I won't be out of a job when I move to Adelaide with all you spider phobics! (I'm a Clinical Psychologist).

The key to diminish a fear of spiders is to get a perspective on spider behaviour (I say diminish because it is actually psychologically healthy to have a small fear of things that can bite etc.!!). For example - how many spiders in the UK come charging at you because they know you are human? How many humans do you really think a spider sees and can identify? Given the prime instinct in all animals is survival, would it not make more sense for the spider to avoid you?

That said, I hate the things, but think I can now tolerate them! Would be happy to do some sessions for those who completely freak out, but I don't know whether medicare covers phobias?!!!!

Ken

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:Believe me Huntsman are THAT BIG(up to 15cm ish across) we had one in the lounge on our reccie ,Jac heard it scuttling across the tiled floor , when we found the bugger it was only a baby but the large wine glass still didnt cover it, it's legs stuck out the side:biglaugh:, its the wolf spiders iam not looking forward to ........Huntsman on speed i've been told and just as big, not taking the pi** it just helps me get over the experience:goofy:good luck fellow spider hunters. Cheers Graham

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Yes Huntsman and Wolf spiders get pretty BIG, on one occasion I went to remove a Huntsman using a Pyrex 1 pint jug and could not fit it in:shocked:, couldn't stand on it for fear of twisting my ankle,

These are the least of our problems at the moment since moving into our new home we have had 3 scorpions visit us, beware it's like a jungle out there,

Guzzler

Guest soggy

Maybe if your not too keen on spiders you should live nearer the city, I have only been here 3 weeks but have only seen one spider in the house( about 1" across easy to sqish) and not noticed any outside, did find a big lizzard(about 15") looking at me when I opened the front door one morning, pehaps he eats all the spiders. The house has been invaded by ants several times,just can't kill them quickly enough.:)

Simon

Guest zx6roo

The largest huntsman I've come across I needed to use one of those 5 litre house buckets to put over the top of it and it's feet touched the sides!! Most aren't that big thnkfully.

Ken - come get rid of my phobia and I'll be in debt to you for the rest of my live. I can't get past thinking about their legs to get along with them *shiver*

I'm not as bad as I used to be. I can almost cope with them as long as I'm not trapped, have some escape route out of the room it's in. The worst was when my daughter was 4. In the back of the car she says "mummy there's something furry on my sealtbelt". I turn round to see the feet on either side of it (spider underneath). Now how do you take the belt off, get the kid out, don't has histerics.... without disturbing the spider. I did it but refused to go in the car again until it was found.

The secret is - don't park your car under a gum tree.... don't leave the windows open.

I had a scorpion yesterday. Haven't had one for about 8yrs so was good to see again.

Guest Tracijbc

Oh dear God. Ken, set up a clinic and I'll see you in May....

I freaked out last night when there was a teeny tiny spider above my side of the bed and wouldn't go to bed until Matt had got rid of it. How on earth am I going to cope in Adelaide???

What with my fear of flying (large metal tube of death, 30,000 feet in the air, argh!!! :wacko:), and my fear of spiders, I reckon I should stay in the UK......

See you soon

T xx

You''l be fine just kill kill kill.I was petrified when i left England.I was going to get Hypnotised but it cost a fortune.I'm glad i didn't bother now.I think my impression in the UK was that as soon as i stepped off the plane millions of spiders would come get me and follow me everywhere!!At first you find yourself looking for them and winding yourself up,tipping everything upside down and constantly checking clothes and bedding.You soon get sick of that.In 4 month we've had 2 red backs in garage which i just spray to dazzle them squash(just think its them or you).We had our first hunstman in the house Sunday and i must admit i could feel the colour drain out of me.Christ they are BIG.Half a can or spray later it was like a white christmas in my bathroom.I left it as long as i could before i had the nerve to pick it up,god the hairs on those legs yuk!!

The way i see it you cant revolve your life around spiders.Look for them and you'll find them and if you see one kill it.Theres house bombs and lots of spray so you'll be good.Its the silver fish that get on my nerves.

Guest caoimhe
You''l be fine just kill kill kill.I was petrified when i left England.I was going to get Hypnotised but it cost a fortune.I'm glad i didn't bother now.I think my impression in the UK was that as soon as i stepped off the plane millions of spiders would come get me and follow me everywhere!!At first you find yourself looking for them and winding yourself up,tipping everything upside down and constantly checking clothes and bedding.You soon get sick of that.In 4 month we've had 2 red backs in garage which i just spray to dazzle them squash(just think its them or you).We had our first hunstman in the house Sunday and i must admit i could feel the colour drain out of me.Christ they are BIG.Half a can or spray later it was like a white christmas in my bathroom.I left it as long as i could before i had the nerve to pick it up,god the hairs on those legs yuk!!

The way i see it you cant revolve your life around spiders.Look for them and you'll find them and if you see one kill it.Theres house bombs and lots of spray so you'll be good.Its the silver fish that get on my nerves.

Dear Lord I have never in my life been afraid of Spiders, in fact I take them out of the bath and put them outside as I really couldn't harm one.

But now I am B***** terrified:shocked:

Please stop all this scary talk or I might have to stay here:biglaugh:

Guest zx6roo

When you get here come and visit me. I have heaps of different kinds of spiders in this house (walked into a golden orb weaver on the way in tonight, YUK). It'll give you a first hand idea of what to expect and how to avoid them. Ken come too and we can have group theropy, hahahaha.

I have always been terrified of spiders. Not knowing the ones you get here before I came until I met them face to face hasn't stopped me loving this place.

Just remember not to have bushes by your letterbox and spray it from time to time. LOL, one day I put my hand in and came out with a giant spider, freck me out big time. A few years later I put my hand in and felt something so you can image I freaked out... was a liazrd, hehehehe.

Guest paul_smart
I might invest in a spider vaccum before i go out there for the harmless spiders. Its not gonna harm them i can get it up without going too nesr. Like you im dreading the first time i see a huntsman. Even though they are harmless its the size. I just think that tarantulas should be behind a glass case in the zoo!!!! How rude that they are allowed to tresspass in to your home! THe thing that worries me is if they crawl on you in the night_ How do you stop that!!!

I saw a few huntsmen while out in Adelaide (hills and further) I was told they are a good spider to have about as they eat all of the poisonous ones, so I was never worried about them after that, I was bitten a few times by spiders, on the hand and face both during the night and both times I didn't notice until the next day, I didn't wake up, the one on the hand itched but after some white vinegar it was fine, the one on the face caused my Jaw to swell and it was hard to eat normally for a coulpe of days.

Can't say i'm worse off for the experience, I was in the outback at the time, they're stamping ground.

I don't remember even seeing one inside while in the city, though the spiders are a lot more aggresive than the one's over here, spray spray and spray I reckon!!!

Guest kenmcfadyen

Yes, I think a group will be more time efficient given the number of comments about spider fears!!! I have always been struck by the number of Australians who hate spiders too, naively I thought they wouldn't be that bothered. I guess like a lot of people have been saying, you don't have to like them, you just have to get used to them. And there is always that spray - perhaps we could band together and buy shares in the company that produces it, although using our own profit shares to buy more spray would defeat the purpose of making money from the shares in the first place!!

Guest maggie

Hello everyone,

HUNSTMANS, SCORPINS, REDBACKS..........think i'm gonna be sick really really really dont do spiders or anything that crawls and looks ugly what i'm i going to do HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marie x

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hello everyone,

HUNSTMANS, SCORPINS, REDBACKS..........think i'm gonna be sick really really really dont do spiders or anything that crawls and looks ugly what i'm i going to do HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marie x

Dont forget the 4inch centipedes!:biglaugh: