Spiders - yuk!

Guest The Waite Family

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zx6roo
Dont forget the 4inch centipedes!:biglaugh:

Ah yes the big red ones. I had two this week. But for everyone in the UK don't worry. I get 1-2 ever 3-4yrs. And remember I live in the hills. They would give a very nasty bite but never heard of anyone being bitten yet. If you see the brown ones (they look like they are hairy but it's actually they're legs) leave them. The house centipede is the main bug that eats all other nasty bugs and are perfectly harmless, just look funny.

I had 4 scorpions last week! That is really unusal and haven't had any for at least 10+yrs, think it's the freaky weather.

Talking of bug spray. They have recently released a new one that is plant based and not as harmful to people or animals, and slithgly more environmentally friendly. Plus it smells nicer.

My main tip is tip your shoes (or stand on them then tip) before you put them on everytime and don't leave dirty laundry piles for too long. These are the two areas I always get the red centipede, millipedes and white-tip spiders. Huntsmen are always above the door and wolf spiders are always on my kitchen floor (no matter which house I'm in). And to show that it's not all bad... I had 4 kangaroos in the garden today :jiggy:

Guest Louise

Hi Diane,

I have been living in Glenelg since Nov 2007 and have only seen 1 spider which was on my patio so I just got my dustpan and killed it DEAD!!!!.

Louise

Guest isandev

Oh Dianne

I know exactly how you feel we arrive 18th August and i know the first thing i will be looking for is spiders and cockroachers erg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We did live in Australia for a year a long time ago and i was lucky enough never to see the big hairy variety but im sure coming to live for good i may come across a few. God help us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest zx6roo

Aug 16th... just in time for the weather to start warming up.

It's freezing here at present, only a low 18 tomorrow although the weekend is set to be slightly higher and sunny. I forgot to gather wood so I'm sitting here with my jumper on trying to save money and not put the heater on, LOL.

Hopefully you won't seen too many bugs down on the flats. Unfortunately my scorpions & centipedes has turned into an infestation and I need to get some people in to help. But I'm not complaining cuz I'd rather them to the spiders any day. :)

Guest Diane

One of my friends deals with the occasional Huntsman by spraying it with super fix hairspray, carrying it to the end of the garden and telling it to pray for rain!

And the daddy long legs spiders are apparently extremely poisonous, but their fangs are too small to penetrate your skin - that's why if you get bitten by a white tip you may or may not be in trouble: they eat daddy long legs and although not themselves poisonous, if they have eaten a Daddy L-L before biting you, they may inject some of the D-L-L's poison into you (they don't clean their teeth after meals) and you may end up getting a very bad reaction!

Have a watch of this to confront all your fears...

Diane

xx

Guest jojo

ooh we had a huntsman and i vacumed it up with the dyson, thats when i managed to corner it after it jumped at me, arghhhh it was horrid:huh:

i had to kill it after the OH was sat on the sofa with his legs up crying kill it will you !!:biglaugh:

Jo xx

Guest theforrests

That link is excellent!:biglaugh:

Mustn't also forget about the inch ants (especially the flying variety!) in the list of nasties!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LukeM

I don't mind the spiders... it's the wasps/bees/hornets/scorpions I don't want to see!!

I know we get wasps/bees/hornets in Britain, but that's really beside the point is it not?

Anyway, a good website to search for is OzAnimals (Google it!) and it shows you all the species of animals, from insects to birds and mammals... I saw the wasps and bees on there, I was both amazed (and horrified) by the sizes and some of the colours and appearances of the wasps/bees/scorpions/hornets!!

Particularly the blue banded bees... how do you do it Australia?! :confused:

OMG - this is enough to put anyone off:shocked:

Seriously - I hate spiders with a passion so am dreading them, "friends" keep telling me about all these deadly creatures - they're so kind - if I'm not bitten by a spider/snake, eaten by a crocodile, thumped by a kangaroo, attacked by some bird with huge claws etc etc you never know I might survive!!! :biglaugh: Still its not going to put me off - I'll make sure I've got some very sturdy shoes for squishing things.