Guest matt n mel

When do I tell my employer I'm emigrating?

Guest matt n mel

Hi,

I just wondered what experience people have had with informing their employers that they are leaving their job, and the UK for that matter, for sunnier climes and blue skies....

I only need to give a month's notice, but should I give them more of a heads up?

Up until now, I've not spoken to anyone at work. Still early days as we haven't even booked our meds and pcc yet (although we'll be doing that v v soon- got a case officer today yay!)

What do you think pros and cons?

Thanks

Mel

If you are only obliged to give a months notice I'd only give that. Maybe two tops. That way you'll be all sorted, know when your flights are booked etc. Of course, you'll have to keep your plans for migrating quiet at work but that is probably not a bad thing till you know it's all finalised.

The only reason I'd say anything beforehand would be if they are being contacted for employment references, otherwise that could make it tricky.

I told people at my work I was thinking of emigrating about a year ago and I'm still in the UK. I have my visa now and we're hoping to be in Adelaide by the end of August. I've been keeping my manager and team informed at all stages of the process, mostly because everyone is so interested and exicited for me, but also so they know that I'm definitely going and can start thinking about managing my exit. I'm lucky though that I have a really great employer who are really supportive and understanding. I'm not sure I would have been so open if my employer wasn't so great though.

Nicola

Hi Mel,

I would wait a while ... you just do not know how people will react. Also, it is quite nice to have a part of your life that stays normal while your brain and every other part of your life seems to be in chaos during the planning stages ... just a thought ...

Ails

Guest Paula H

Hi ya

My OH's employers have known from the start because they had to write a reference for the visa etc.... My employers however don't know & only a select few colleagues know. I'll be giving 6 weeks notice, counting down the days :-)

Guest matt n mel

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It would be great to scream it from the rooftops but praps hold fire on that one....

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

I would wait at least until you have your visa granted and you know there's nothing going to get in your way of going

I kept mum until I had my visa and then gave them a month's notice.

You shouldn't worry about burning your bridges; I bet the staff and your colleagues will be most envious of your new adventure.

Hi Mel

Just a bit a caution before telling your employers about emigrating.......we decided not to tell my husbands employees that we were emigrating - and it paid off, as redundancies came up at his work place and he was made redudant ( usually this would be a sad state of affairs ) but it meant he got a nice pay out !

If he'd had told his employers of our plans to emigrate, they wouldnt have paid out as he was leaving anyway...

Sarahx