Guest donna T

Kangaroo Island

Guest donna T

Just back from KI and thought I would add a thread on some of the places we went to as we didn't have a clue before we left!

The drive to Cape Jervis was lovely - went through Normanville and Lady Bay on some curvy roads through the hillsides.

Ferry (Sealink) from Cape Jervis to Pennishaw was comfy and a bit bumpy! but only took 45 mins.

It might be worth looking at KI Ferries who went into Kingscote which was a bit more central (depending on where you are staying on the island.

Distances are quite long and we put in 650kms in 3 days so be prepared for a bit of time in the car (especially with 2 little ones along:mad:)

We stayed in Emu Bay which was beautifull - long sweeping white sand beach, small playground for the kids and good fishing off the jetty.

There are no shops or cafes here at all so come prepared.

We drove to Pauls Place via the North Coast Road - 32 kms in 2 1/4 hours - get a 4WD!!!

Pauls place is a must see, just off Stokes Bay Road and a great couple of hours feeding Roos, Emus, Koala. Also Sheep shearing, snakes and pony rides - great fun as Paul is a complete nutter:)

Vivonne Bay is beautifull (named best Ozzie beach a couple of years ago). Again much easier with a 4WD as the road is unsealed and the walkway down to the beach is steep if you have older (my parents) or younger (3 year old) with you.

Seal Bay is gorgeous and definitely worth spending the extra $ to walk on the beach with the seals - the groups are up to 25 people at a time and take about 45 mins.

Don't miss the Pelican feeding at 5pm in Kingscote, just in front of the harbour masters office - a $2 donation is all he askes and he puts on a good show. You can get very close to the Pelicans who are quite enourmous!

We ate in Bellas restaurant - great Pizzas, good with the kids and a very very hot Thai curry

Missed the penguin feeding at 830 as it was absolutely freezing:shocked:

A great time was had by all - 3 days was too short - I would reckon 5 days would give you some relaxation too. Weather was pretty dreadfull but this time last year it was 41 degrees so who knows!

It is usually about 5 degrees lower than Adelaide so go prepared with some fleeces etc.

We stayed at Searenity on Emu Bay which was new, very well appointed and really clean and well facilitated.

Hope this is of some use to anyone planning a trip - we would definitely go back.

Guest Roo1

Glad you had a fab time mate. I don't need to ask you about it now - as I already know!:o

Now you are back I expect you down the gym this week, no more excuses young lady! :biglaugh:

Judi xxxx

Guest Guzzler&Sas

wow Donna, sounds fab - i so want to go and am doing my best working on guzzler to get over there!!! but had already heard that you needed more than a weekend to really appreciate the place. great post, thanks

see you soon

regs

sas

xxx

Guest Donna

I agree, KI was great and we spend a beautiful weekend there - but we need to go back and do the North part of the Island. Kelly Hill caves are great as well for anyone planning a visit!

Guest Nick11

Lovely to hear you had such a lovely time.

Did Russ and your parents enjoy it?

Typical of you to go on the coldest weekend in summer ever!

Guest donna T
    Glad you had a fab time mate. I don't need to ask you about it now - as I already know!:o

Now you are back I expect you down the gym this week, no more excuses young lady! :biglaugh:

Judi xxxx

Bloody sargeant major:biglaugh: How about tonight??????? See you at 6pm!