getting 176 visa after a few years on 457

Guest stu&nic

Guest stu&nic

Hi my wife and i are to move to Adelaide soon on a 457 sponsorship visa and plan to stay permanenty on the 176 visa.

My wife is worried that we might not get the 176 as her job as a midwife might be removed off the skilled shortage list.

Can anyone shed any light on this subject as we dont want to be shipped out if or when the time comes.:unsure:

Thanks in advance for any feed back

Hi Stu & Nic

I am no expert, but this is how I understand it (I base this on our own experiences, as we came on a 457). As you have a 457, I assume you must have an employee sponsoring you. Therefore, once you arrive in Oz, the skilled shortage list becomes irrelevant to your situation. It comes down to whether your employer wants to keep you on.

With regard to visas, it seems to be a lot easier to get them once you are already over here. Plus, UK trained nurses are craved for here. If I were you, I would speak to a fabulous lady on here (Gollywobbler) to clarify your situation. She is a goddess on visa info, and is very very helpful and approachable. We had similar fears when we were in the early stages of our rollercoaster, and she sent a fabulous and detailed PM to explain our options.

All the very best with your journey.

Paul

Guest stu&nic

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info it much appreciated will get in contact with Gollywobbler will let you know how we get on.

how are you getting on with your new life down under as we keep hearing alot of negitivity about finances and jobs it would be nice to hear positve feedback.

Thanks again

Stu & Nic

Guest Twinkle

Hi there

Don't know about the 176 visa, however my husband and I came over on a 457 visa (he was sponsored by RAH- nurse). We went through a nursing recruitment agency who told us that the hospital would sponsor us for permanent visa's on arrival in Oz. Many people told us that this was incorrect and we would have to wait 2 years before we could get a permanent visa. However on arrival RAH said they would nominate us for permanent visa (857) after he completed his 3 month probation period, which they did and it took 16 days to get the visa.