Guest ali

Am I the only single?

Guest ali

Hi guys,

Reading your posts has led me to thinking that probably I'm one of a few single members on this forum. Any single gals/guys out there who've made the move or are planning to?:smile: Tell us your stories if you like:wink:

As for the lucky couples/families please do share with us your advice and stories.:smile:

This'll be good

Guest Richie_T

You're not the only singleton on these forums, but it is generally those with families who share their stories on here. Plenty of opportunities to meet other single people though, and have met loads who join dating agencies and things. Is that the sort of advice you are looking for?

I have a networking event for expats tomorrow at the Hotel Richmond after work if you're interested. Its not meant to be a dating event, but I know many people use it as one!

Guest ali

Thanks Richie,:smile:

No, the purpose of this post isn't dating anyone. I'm just curious, as I'm single and moving to Adelaide and would like to know how single migrants have coped with life over there. When families move, they have each other to rely on, to share stories with, to talk to, to dine with. Of course there is always a possibility of making friends along the way. But I'd love to know the stories of single people who're already there and those who are making the move like myself.

Thank you for the invite Richie, but I'm not there yet and if I was I would drop by to meet other expats, share stories and a few pints of Stella. Good luck with the networking event and have me in mind once I'm there.

Cheers:smile:

Guest Richie_T

Ah... uve not moved yet! Well, I met a great bunch of friends from this forum when I arrived in July last year. This aswell as other forums; joined a few groups on facebook. Went to a few meetups and events, met some more friends in a similar situation to myself.

It is hard coming by yourself. You are right that other people have families to go home to. I think luckily for me I bonded well with some really nice people. I broke my arm in October, and could have done with my home friends and family around me, but I survived through that!

At work, there were 2 other expats who joined within 2 months of me, but they all have families, and live in Glenelg. They were also helpful and regularly invite me around for barbies. I keep telling them to join this forum, but they have friends who they have made from Church, and surf clubs etc.

Sorry about this post, its a bit all over the place and hard to read, but I am trying to recall my earlier days here. Every so often I think to myself why I came by myself, and I really appreciate the friendships I have made here in Adelaide. I survived the 7th month depression as Ive read on forums.

If you are still single when the time comes, give me a shout as I have a fairly sized group of friends who regularly go out and try different activities etc.

When are you planning on coming over?

Guest ali

I guess I'll finally make the move some time around August. As I'm moving by myself I'll be travelling light. Not much to bring with me.

So Richie you're living in a shared accommodation? How's that working for you?

I'm considering it but not that seriously. I guess the pros would be making friends almost instantly, living with people who've been there before you and know ins and outs of the city and so on.

Will keep you posted when I get there and help you out with organizing events and so on.

Good luck with the event tomorrow and have a blast.:smile:

Hi Ali

I moved here on my own in 2006 and it's the best thing I ever did. I'd never been to Australia before and didn't have a job lined up but everything turned out great. I sold my house in the UK so I had a bit of money behind me and the exchange rate was 'normal' back then so I was lucky in that respect.

In terms of meeting people, the way that it worked for me was that I met people through work and I also joined a soccer club and met people that way and friendships have developed from that. Aussie's are very friendly and open but you obviously have to put the effort in and get out there and literally never turn down an invite to any social event. Moving into shared accommodation could be a good thing to do initially as a way of meeting people!

In terms of being here on your own and not having any support from family only you will know how you will cope with that. It didn't bother me in the slightest but I think it would be an issue for most people to varying degrees.

Also, don't be put off when you hear that Adelaide is too quiet or there is not enough going on. There is plenty to do for young / single people if you know where to look.

PM me if you wanna know any more

Mick

Hey there, I moved to Adelaide on my own in 2007 - well I say 'moved' - I came on a one year working holiday visa and then ended up staying after I found a permanent job and convinced them to sponsor me. Yes, agree this forum feels very much family orientated, but sure you're not the only single person here!

Guest ali

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the comment. The way you describe it is the way it should be. Yes in order to meet people I should get out there. I'm a very sociable type of person, luckily play football (soccer) sometimes, and have managed to make a balance between a slow paced lifestyle and a fast one. Your post has covered a lot of areas and there are similarities between you and I notably prior the move both of us haven't been to Australia.

I've lived on my own in other countries and places I had never been before. The hardest experience I've had was back in Malaysia. I didn't know anything about the culture, language, I couldn't pronounce street names and was completely at a loss but only for two weeks. After I rented a place in the city center it all started to get better. I started to make friends with the neighbors, the neighbors friends and friends of friends. So I was so preoccupied with friends and new friends that I didn't feel the glum of not having family around.

I'd indeed like to continue being in touch with you and hopefully join you for a pint and kick around the park (I'm not that good a footballer though)

Ali

Guest ali

Hi Soo,

That is brilliant. Don't you just like it when it all shapes up like that. And I bet that you didn't have a hard time persuading them to sponsor you as you must've done a brilliant job for them and they wanted to have you around. Thanks for posting and telling us your story. Keep in touch and good luck.

Ali