Guest Dennic

Medicals????

Guest Dennic

Hi all,

Our next step is the medicals which we are a little worried about, can anyone tell me what happens? We know that we will be tested for TB, HIV and have our DNA done just wondered why for the dna? My children are 10,7&3 what will they have to go though? Do I need to prepare them for bloods, eyes, hearing?

Just as we get over one thing that worries us an other one comes along!

Any help or advice would be most welcome

Thanks

Denni :)

Guest vikkiann

I believe that when we had ours 4 years ago, i just answered questions on the kids.

We had an x-ray, blood tests and general questions.

Its nothing to worry about.

Hi, had ours done just over a year ago, its blood test, urine test, chest X-ray, basic medical test. Yes worth getting eyes tested before you go, if the doctor says please read from third line on chart on wall, and you say what wall? You'll have failed on something stupid. Children under a certain age are excused the chest X-ray. I think I'm right in saying yours won't have it. If your all in good health you'll breeze it. Having said that, you do start to worry abit about having something wrong you don't know about. It's nice to get it ticked off.

Ps. Don't remember anything about a DNA test, is that gossip? or have you read it on medical paperwork. Even if its true, unless you are a secret serial killer, I wouldn't worry about it lol!

Hi

Had our meds last week and we all passed.

TBH- I found them to be really thorough and more in depth than I expected. We did eye test, BMI, HIV blood rest, reflex test, general all over med examination (that was the bit that shocked me...having to strip to underwear) and chest X-ray.

They took a couple of hours in all for two adults and two kids but not too bad..

Good luck

Anna

Guest Dennic

Thanks everyone all sounds easy as medicals go, just read on a site that dna was taken and stored, it was last year and haven't seen it again, so was more than likely wrong, was more worried about the kids & needles, they seem to want to know how meny times thay are going to be stabbed in the arm. So nice to see that I can put their minds to rest about that. Think my OH will be a bit harder as he has a fear on needles & doctors!

Lol should be fun :biggrin:

From memory kids just get weighed, height measured and eyesight (only if they can read letters). They are also checked by the doctor for posture - ie stand up straight, swing shoulders, touch toes. Nothing to worry about. Mine were 4 & 7 and quite enjoyed the process - especially as we had to have needles etc and they didn't. Adult fee was around $ 300 for about the same value of work but kids were $ 180?? for not a lot of medical work.

We had ours done back in February and although my husband and I had bloods and x-rays taken the children didn't. We all had to give a urine sample though which proved tricky for our youngest (who's 6); she was bribed in the end and that along with the fact that we told her we couldn't leave till she had a wee speeded it up.

It was all fairly simple but as someone else said ours took a fair few hours (in just after 9, out around 1.30pm) so if you can take some stuff with you - things to play with and eat & drink, we didn't and regretted it; ended up playing charades with them and the 10 year old read the Telegraph!

Ditto on the last post....eye spy is very limited in an office waiting room...we forgot the DS's......they spent s long while reading leaflets and asking loads of questions as kids do!

Guest La1ney

Hi, we had our meds done in Sept 2011. Kids only had to give a urine sample, no needles for them. The doctor we had didn't even ask them to undress, (us adults had too) he did check there reflexs and blood pressure any eye test, they both had chest xrays.