average wage

Guest Gmulv

Guest Gmulv

Hi there,

I'll be moving to Victor Harbor in August if all goes to plan. Can anyone give me a rundown on the average wage etc in Adelaide and what realistically would be classed as a wage in Oz that would keep me "comfortable" or fairly well off. I'm coming over on my own, so no family etc to support.

I know it seems like a stupid question, but in the UK I know what a specific wage will give me, but in OZ I just have no idea, I know roughly what I will be paid but not really sure what that will get me.

thanks

Graham

Guest Mark&Yvonne

Hi

We have just recently returned after validating our visas and after all the research we did, we found that as a family of 4 we could manage with myself earning $30 an hour, im not saying this would give us a fantastic lifestyle but we would be compfotable.

We aren't far from you (Leyland) Visited Victor harbour whilst over, what a great place, though i was told they aren't the safest beaches in SA

Good luck with everything

Mark

Guest Mark&Yvonne

I was speaking to some ozzy guy from Queensland who liked a bit of surfing and he said the best beaches for surfing in SA where down that way but there are some large nasty fish in there, but i suppose they are everywhere really you just have to be careful

Hi G will PM you

Hi Mark

How's the house sale doing any news?

Don't worry about the sea true there are big fish, but more creatures in Qld that will do you harm, Adam got a new wet suit yesterday so he can start surfing again. The beaches are pretty safe around Adelaide or I wouldn’t let him surf.

Say Hi to Yvonne for us all & James team won their first match 16 to 1

Mark

Guest Guest6899

Hi as previously said it really depends on what you do.. im a nurse and earn around $31.00 hour + penalties.. you would need to be more definate to get correct answers on that one. As for Victor Harbor, we love it down there.. its usually windy but just love the coastline. they call it gods waiting room due to the amount of older people living there. Tbh i would move there tomorrow but dont feel there is enough for our boys to do and uni etc. My (personal opinion only!!) would not go into the water, its full of weed and some areas around are dangerous and people have been killed by rips etc.. one about a month ago. BUT i dont live there so will leave some for others to comment on the waters. But it really is a nice place.

Lisa

Edited by Guest6899

Guest JayandEm

I would say around $60k should be enough, renting is pretty reasonable down here and there are a lot of fully furnished places to rent as well. Horseshoe bay in port Elliot is one of the safest beaches and in the 9 months I've been here I've not heard of any official shark sightings in the area, a lot of unofficial ones from people that have been out fishing though!!

Guest Gmulv

Great all sounds good, I'm not worried about the wind as long as its warm in the summer!! I'm a GP so listening to what has been said I'm sure I will be comfortable - It's good to get an idea though of what to expect!! Can't wait to get there - I'll have a good explore too when I land 3 months seems such a long time now!!

G

Two people can cope on $45k but it's more of an existence than living. $45k upwards per person is fine. Obviously the more the better things will be.

Average wage is between $55k and $60k depending where you look. That's for SA. Melbourne for example is probably $10k higher.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has me worried! While we do have a reasonable pot of savings, but we'd like to keep this more or less intact for a house deposit further down the line. It also may take me a while to find a job and as I don't have local experience I imagine my wage would only be $70-80k PA initially. We don't want my wife to work until the little ones go to school - although family assistance will add to around £400 ish per fortnight.

Is this likely to be realistic? I've done a budget planner and it seems to say I would just about be ok on a weekly rent of $400, but it'd be good to get some local feedback and opinion.

Guest Guest5035
70-80k is a good wage........if you get that then you are on the right track

if u r on more what track are you on then

stevo

Guest smit
You should aim to earn at least double your age in dollars and you're doing fine.
I think what your saying is good............but a fantasy for most!!!!

Guest Guest5035
No way?!? A fantasy is 3-4 times your age lol. 2 is about normal isn't it?

what a load of mumbo jumbo:unsure:.....i should be on $108k then:idea:.....8 weeks left for the end of the financial year.....$52k to go:nah:

stevo

Guest smit

Another reason why views on such forums are diverse..........some people earn a lot more than others and subsequent differences in expectations and way of life.

Another reason why views on such forums are diverse..........some people earn a lot more than others and subsequent differences in expectations and way of life.

This is true. I've only my experience of my time here in Oz, but always thought earning your age in the UK in £ was about average.

Isn't minimum wage about $38k full time here?