Kingpin

Dick Smith Hallett Cove - closing down

There are a several dozen across Australia that are closing - HC isn't the only one. Staff told me a couple of weeks ago that it's a company restructure. Seems they're owned by Woolworths (who also own Big W) so the thought is that in a lot of cases where a Big W and a DS exist in close proximity to one another the DS will close as most of their product lines can be sold via Big W.

Yes I heard the Dick Smith chain was up for sale - they interviewed 'the' Dick Smith about it on the radio apparently he is not happy if his name gets into foreign hands ... but then once you've sold your name to someone, then surely you lose all say in how it's used or who it's sold on to?

Guest Chelseadownunder

I think under the surface many of the retailers at Hallett Cove are struggling with the high rents and the fact people are not spending. Its only got to be a matter of time before one of the coffee shops goes under surely. There must be 4/5 plus maccas selling coffee?

Edited by Chelseadownunder

I think under the surface many of the retailers at Hallett Cove are struggling with the high rents and the fact people are not spending. Its only got to be a matter of time before one of the coffee shops goes under surely. There must be 4/5 plus maccas selling coffee?

I agree but it is normally the larger retailers that can weather the storms.

I love all the cafes but agree we need more variety. A Cotton On Kids, maybe.

Guest BrianS

All shopping centres are built the same be it a Westfield centro other company, same boring shops same boring layout and 95% of the time the same dull atmosphere. Even the s/c near us is having a revamp at the mo and is putting a cibo in, bores me to the core

It is annoying having shops in the shopping centres, you'd have thought someone would have broken away from the norm by now and filled one with with something other than shops.