tori0609

When can you become a citizen when here on a PR visa?

Hi everyone - I have been reading through the government websites but getting a bit confused and can;t find a clear answer - can anyone help to let me know when we are liable to apply for citizenship after being here on a permenant resident visa? ok so we only arrived 2 weeks ago but would love to know!!!

thanks in advance to any knowledgable people out there!

thank-you - we thought it was about that but doesn't seem to be very clear so thanks for clearing up our all-evening long talking!

I think it's 4 years (1,460 days) of time spent in Australia. So if you activate your visa on 1st Jan 2010 you can apply around 1st Jan 2014, but if you had left the country for 20 days in those four years you will have to wait until the 20th Jan 2014. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Used to be 2 years but changed about 18 months/2 years ago and now 4 years from your arrival as PRs.

Used to be 2 years but changed about 18 months/2 years ago and now 4 years from your arrival as PRs.

Can you tell us where you got this info from please?

Did it change for everyone or just those that activated there visa less than the 18 months/2 years you are talking about.

We activated ours 29 months ago so has ours changed from the 2 years to 4 years you talk about?

As far as we were aware it was always 4 years for us.

Thanks Rob and Mel

Does anyone know if there is anyway around the time in the country, as my poor husband works offshore on ships so will never meet the requirement unless he takes a year off!?

Thanks if anyone knows

Gill x

Time flies - it was longer than 2 years, my appologies. My daughter and family arrived 5 years ago and got their's after 2 years. It changed after that 2007? (even before we first started thinking about emigrating).

Time flies - it was longer than 2 years, my appologies. My daughter and family arrived 5 years ago and got their's after 2 years. It changed after that 2007? (even before we first started thinking about emigrating).

Check this link (there was a transitional period)

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/law-and-policy/legis_changes/res_req_changes/

Cheers,

Cooler