Fresh water.

Guest pennyblack

Guest yogi64
That's a good insight Damien, thank you. Can you assist with the following

1. What native freshwater fish do we have in SA waters.

2. Is there not a recreational market for fresh water fisheries to include those types of fish commonly found in UK. or is this too simplistic. Facinating subject as it appears to me that many Australians jump on the 'kill the carp' bandwagon without actually knowing why. As you point out stirring up the water is not a real problem, it's the competition with native fish and their potential eradication

As far as I can remember Cod, Callop, Catfish and Silver Perch, there will be more, but I think these are the main ones.

Mike

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Damien

That's right Mike, they're the main spp.

Pete - I don't think there's anything in the Aussie pysche to have a freshwater fishery for UK spp and certainly current legislation doesn't support it. Aussies are rightly protective of their native flora and fauna. I do agree that they can have a 'kill! kill!' mentality without always knowing the arguments behind the need to do it but it's the way of life here.

Guest Zako999

But the aussies catch and eat their native fish, so i don't get it. The carp don't eat the fish alive, they eat their spawn because they are hungry. fish for carp and keep them fed and they wont eat the spawn. Simple. If there is a lake JUST with carp in, a man made lake. So this means no banking the carp supposedly 'eat' away, they STILL kill them when their is no harm being done.

Single-minded.

Guest Damien

Your wrong there Frank, carp eat spawn, fry and fingerlings. My mate banked a 30lber from Ardleigh on a deadbait fishing for pike. Anglers here regularly target the carp on lures, why would they be so successful if the carp don't eat fish?

Guest pete66

Damien, I think we are using you as a bit of a font of knowledge on this subject.

Are we not messing with simple evolution when culling these European fish. It seems to me that most fish in the UK get along fine and swim together. I dare say some are predatry, but they all appear to survive. What do the native Aussie fish eat? The catfish, for example, will eat smaller fish. The callop is carniverous and will eat smaller fish, so I can't get to grips with that argument.

Edited by pete66

Guest Guest75
It's the whole competition thing Pete. The carp are thriving and out-competing the natives for these smaller prey species.

Very true Damo.

It's an incredibly fragile ecosystem here and one small introduction can push a huge plethora a species out.

Think :

Cane Toads ( Had first hand experience)

Rabbits.

Flipping Millipedes!!

Guest pennyblack

It seems all your rude comments towards me are acceptable on this forum the moderators wont remove them.

Damien, Tyke and Yogi you are not only Rude but also ignorant and naive to think people don't put Carp back in Lakes, land locked lakes are ok, just go to your local tackle shop and ask. I ask a friendly simple question without abusing anyone and got one reply that was helpful, make one comment and get abused because none of you are fully aware of the facts and go off half cocked.

You really must get your facts right with experience and not by just quoting what you've read on some web site. get out there and do some fresh water fishing, love the magnificent Carp and leave them to fight another day.

Tyke, its obvious you didn't freshwater fish in the UK so please don't try to tell me what the situation is over there I fished lakes over there for 30 something years, Carp 30 to 40lb, Rudd, Roach perch, Tench all living happily together I might add. some fool even mentioned something about me coming over here and breaking the laws, what a hypocrite he is, have they ever driven 62 in a 60 zone or 52 in a 50, I just know you have, so don't even bother answering that one, you three make me laugh the way you, you all jump on the goody two shoes band wagon.

I only got one reply that was of any use to me and that was from Damien about where to get the fishing gear from, any more members want to shed some light on the subject.

Please no more rude comments or name calling, unless you're willing to say it to my face, if you are I will gladly meet with you to discuss it.

BTW I have been reading the DEBATES on strike and hook and other forums and there are as many agree as disagree with putting them back. I think personally the ones that agree with putting them back are the true fisherman who love there sport and don't want to see any fish harmed.

Guest Damien

Hey PB,

Can you please point out where in my original post I was rude to you because, despite reading it several times, I simply can't see it and if I offended you in some way then I apologise. I think those that know me would say I'm just about the least offensive person you would meet (well most anyway). And as for ignorance, I think you're looking at the wrong people. I think I am in a better position to quote the Fisheries Management Act 2007 than any tackle shop. IT'S MY JOB TO KNOW IT. Like it or not it is against the law to return carp to any waters as they are noxious spp, it is also an offence to own, control or possess them, this legislation even goes as far as koi carp in a garden pond. Hey, of course I know carp get returned all the time, most don't choose to declare their intentions on a public forum that's all.

Anyway, fish away my friend and why not give the natives a try if you wanna go freshwater.

Damo

Guest Damien

Forgot to add, why is it ok for you to call me a fool? I never called you any names........And I daresay I do sometimes creep over the speed limit, if I do I slow down and correct myself, the difference between that and what you proposed is the intent.

By the way, if you read some of my previous posts in this thread you might see my qualified opinion as to why carp can happily live alongside other cyprinid spp such as rudd, roach and tench but are too competitive for native Australian spp.

Lighten up, enjoy the forum and you may learn a few things along the way...:)

Guest Helchops

Damien, Tyke and Yogi you are not only Rude but also ignorant and naive...

Please no more rude comments or name calling, unless you're willing to say it to my face...

None of my business but just to say that some of the members you're insulting yourself are the most active, helpful and amusing on this forum.

Guest Guest75
None of my business but just to say that some of the members you're insulting yourself are the most active, helpful and amusing on this forum.

Cop a cyber hug < hug>:notworthy:

We need to catch some fish now to go with all the chips on shoulders...................:biglaugh:

funny cat shark.jpg

Guest Helchops
Cop a cyber hug < hug>:notworthy:

We need to catch some fish now to go with all the chips on shoulders...................:biglaugh:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4617[/ATTACH]

**copped**

Let's stick to saltwater fish for those chips eh?

Edited by Helchops

Guest pete66

Oh dear, well how about a good old fashioned UK knees up to lighten the mood. 2nd June, party, Brighton rugby club, Queens Jubilee and all that. All welcome........

Guest Guest75
Oh dear, well how about a good old fashioned UK knees up to lighten the mood. 2nd June, party, Brighton rugby club, Queens Jubilee and all that. All welcome........

Ya only want me there so ya can gob me for my comments on here!!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Kidding................

Guest Damien

Not sure I like being called helpful and amusing. Prefer old and grumpy. Grrr.

Oh, you were referring to Tyke, bugger.

Guest Damien

Can I wear my uniform lol

Guest yogi64

Oh and by the way, the Carp is a magnificent fish and although I don't target them when I'm fishing if I do happen to land one I wont be leaving it on the bank to suffocate and die, (Animal rights must have something to say about this) it will be laid on a wet fishing mat until I have the hook out then it will be slipped back in the water unharmed.

Thanks for any advice. :wubclub:

I'm aware that other people return Carp back to the water, but the fact is, in black and white, in the quote above, that you will return Carp back to the water, which, what ever way you look at it is an illegal act, I have never made a statement admitting to doing anything illegal.

I have experience of freshwater fishing in the UK and here, which you obviously do not, by the lack of your fishing gear.

Also you comment about meeting face to face, that might be viewed as a proposed act of violence or intimidation, although I personally might just take you up on that, a nice chat over a cup of tea.

You do seriously need to chill out and relax, why be so negative all the time, people fish to relax and get a feed and mostly it's all about the fun.

Mike

Edited by yogi64

Guest Guest75
I'm aware that other people return Carp back to the water, but the fact is, in black and white, in the quote above, that you will return Carp back to the water, which, what ever way you look at it is an illegal act, I have never made a statement admitting to doing anything illegal.

I have experience of freshwater fishing in the UK and here, which you obviously do not, by the lack of your fishing gear.

Also you comment about meeting face to face, that might be viewed as a proposed act of violence or intimidation, although I personally might just take you up on that, a nice chat over a cup of tea.

You do seriously need to chill out and relax, why be so negative all the time, people fish to relax and get a feed and mostly it's all about the fun.

Mike

Liked muchly again Mike!!!:notworthy:

The last sentence is so true.................. Spent countless hours chilling out on the boat doing research (erm - not catching fish) ,but just loved it.

The tide is against you PB (pardon the pun):tongue:

Guest Guest75
Not sure I like being called helpful and amusing. Prefer old and grumpy. Grrr.

Oh, you were referring to Tyke, bugger.

Oi! I resemble that ya young pup!!!:biglaugh:

Can we all just put a stop to this thread please enough has been said?

No it's the best thread that's been on here for ages........great entertainment:biglaugh:

Funny though how someone can go to live in a new country and think that it is okay to break or intend to break their new country's law - just because they do not believe that law to be correct.

From my experience it is usually those people that are the first to complain when immigrants into their native country break their native country's law - because the immigrant does not believe it to be what they think is correct.

Anyway, I can't wait to get back sea fishing in Oz and if anybody would like to volunteer to show the ropes again it would be very much appreciated :wink: