Selling up in the UK

Guest guest8040

Guest guest8040

We hope to have our Visa in a few months and my head is battered trying to work out any kind of timings in my head! Ideally I'd like to get the house on the market and book our flights for march/April next year but I'm worrying about the house, by some miracle, selling quickly then what we do with our furniture etc and finding somewhere to live in the mean time. The alternative is wait for the house to sell then pack up and go which would seem too rushed. Every time I think about it my head feels like its going to explode! What have others done?

Would you not consider a rental for 6 months in the UK till your leaving date or thereabouts. Most leases are for 6 months then renewed, so if it sells quick you'd at least have options on having elsewhere to stay for a while. Then perhaps go out a bit sooner if you wanted.

Guest brookesy

Hi,

We are also lokking to get over to adelaide march next year. We put our house on the market now and sold it within a week (sods law). We are going to rent in the uk till we leave this will allow us to build up a rental history.

Hope this helps.

Brookesy

Guest marcandjo

i think the house sale is the most stressful part, i would sell it and get one headache out the way, renting will be easier to time in with when you want ot finissh the lease, rathe rthan waiting on a house sale, or it not selling.... good luck and strike whilst its the english summer as word is houses sell better in better weather...

Hi

I would agree with those that say sell sell sell. We sold 8 months before we flew out, so we rented a small place in the Uk before we arrived. We ended up selling most of our furniture...just keeping what we needed (beds, sofa tv) then sold everything a week before we left and spent one week with my parents. (if you didnt want to sell your furniture, you could just pay for storage until you leave)

It worked well for us, as we had money from our house sale to buy one in Australia...and had no ties with the Uk

It is a bit of a head mess, and everyone does things differently - need to find out whats gonna work best for you.

Sarahx

Guest guest8040

Brilliant replies guys I love this forum! We would want to take our furniture so I guess renting and storage would be the best option especially as I hadn't thought of the advantage of building up a rental history as we would want to rent for a good while when we get to Oz so that would be useful. I'm assuming the majority of shipping companies offer storage?

I reckon that selling, then renting is the best way to go. We rented for six months, it made it easier to arrange flights and removals that way. We brought all of our furniture over, but I sometimes wonder if the cost of buying new gear would have been better than bringing it all over. Plus we wouldn't have to have waited for the gear to arrive. We slept on air beds for six weeks and borrowed a lounge suite!

Guest vikkiann

We put our house on the market last October/November. We have sold it but are still waiting for the sale to go through. I would put it on the market ASAP.

As they have announced that we have double dipped back into a resession, it could make property drop again.

Getting the visa was the easy part compared to selling the house.

Good luck

We have 2 friend who are desperate to sell but can't both been to validate there visas & cant wait to get here, so sell sell sell. We sold our house before we even got are visas by 10 months I just wanted to be on a position to go as soon as we got them. I found a place that did cheap container storage 82 pounds a month & stayed at relatives was a squeeze but worked out for us.