kayaking in adelaide

Guest Al+nic

Guest shella_n

Also a new company run by a fellow pomme in port noarlunga that rents out kayaks called Easy Kayaks ( or mabye it was eazy kayaks) u can google it & find his website. He is based by onkaparinga river & u can take a nice paddle down there. We used him & he was fab. His name is Chris

Guest yogi64

You can lunch at the garden island boat ramp and have an excellent paddle around the mangroves, its nice and sheltered around there, good variety of bird/wildlife, dolphins and fish, loads of places to explore, just keep away from the North Arm area, although very nice down there, not a good place to go for the inexperienced as the tidal flow is quite high.

The Onk is a great place to go as well, just be careful of where you launch, some places look OK but can be quite muddy.

A bit further a field you have the Murray river which is an awesome place to go in the winter for a paddle very quite, with great views, I'd recommend Morgan upwards for some great cliff views and great counter meals when you come back and also areas like Port Gawler, Thompsons beach and Port Parham, all easy beach launch and mostly only a couple of meters deep.

The scope in the area is fantastic, I fish from mine, which is good fun, with some good exercise thrown in.

Mike

Guest yogi64

All most forgot, Port Augusta has some awesome Kayaking as well, river and outback views are stunning, cheap places to stay/camp, great for a weekender.

Mike

Guest rachinadelaide

We do quite a bit of kayaking and our absolute favourite trip is a three day camping trip from Loxton along the Murray, up Katarapko Creek where there are riverside campsites which are usually deserted and beautiful and out the top of the Creek and back down the Murray finishing in Loxton again.

There is a lovely man in Renmark (can't remember his name) who will take you out on the Murray and is full of info about the area. We went out with him last time we were there as we needed to hirs kayaks as I was too pregnant to lift ours on and off the roof of the car! There are some fabulous creeks around Renmark - we've seen lots of European Carp, turtles, birds galore, emus, roos and 2 snakes in the creeks!!

Port Adelaide area is great too. There is a creek called little Amazon (launch from garden island boat ramp and turn left and it's on the right) which at low tide you can get a way down. Take your mozzie spray though! If you go to the kayak shop on Daws Road you can buy maps of the Port River (and other places) which show all the creeks. There is quite an extensive creek system off the Port River and we've only explored bits of it. Diane mentioned Adventure Kayaks - they are great and they do a variety of trips. They will take you into the creek system for a few hours if you fancy it. They also do a sea cave all dayer from Rapid Bay.

We've also launched from North Haven Boat Ramp (although they now charge for parking) and kayaked down to Largs for lunch and then back. That's a nice jaunt on a calm day too.

We can't wait for our daughter's first birthday to but her her first PFD and get her afloat!!!!

Happy kayaking,

Rach

Guest Al+nic

Thanks everyone for all the info and advice think i will try the company Easy kayaks and give it a go next weekend,will let you know how it goes .Cheers Nicola

• 8 months later...
Guest Karen Werner
Thanks everyone for all the info and advice think i will try the company Easy kayaks and give it a go next weekend,will let you know how it goes .Cheers Nicola

I realise that this information is too late for you, but since I just found your thread, I thought I'd add my info for others who find your thread too. Berri, in the Riverland, 240km from Adelaide is the home to 'Canoe Adventures" - http://www.canoeadventure.com.au We do kayak hire, guided tours and overnight canoe camping, in lovely spots like Katarapko, Loch Luna and anywhere else you wish to go. We have kayaks, canoes and sit-on-tops. Kym is a local with good knowledge of current conditions and can give advice on where to go, where to camp, what to take with you etc. You can contact him on 04211 676 45 Thanks.