Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mervo44

Fishing for snapper

Guest Mervo44

Here's a question for everyone. When I go fishing for snapper, what's the best rig to have. Is it best to have the sinker at the swivel,

with the line and hooks dangling from it, or the sinker at the bottom. The former would allow the hooks to drift somewhat and the latter

would have them more or less anchored above the sinker.

Your thoughts ?

Merv

Guest Guest75

A lot depends upon where you are fishing - boat??, how deep?? ,sitting anchored or drifting.

Not much taken metro land based ,you have to be really persistent!

My suggestions are for boat fishing.

You can use a standard paternoster rig with say 4/0 hooks upwards.

Shallow ( up to say 15M) I'd stay on Paternoster rigs at anchor.

Drifting and deeper I find a running rig works best.

Running rig on main line,swivel and clip, my own tied hooks (7/0's) on a meter of line.

start off with 4oz weight and see what works. This way you can feed a lot of line out from where the sinker holds to the bottom.

Drifting or ripping tides ( I fish Tapley Shoals) dictate heavier weights to say the least, I've fished with a pound and a half of lead on.

I've just gone back to mono from braid. Had some real tangle probs with braid, had fish wrap around two lines and the berley bag.

On .35 20lb mono . I like thinner lines and enjoy the sport of having a big one on fairly light lines. I play em on my Okuma overheads.

Evenings are seeing lots of sea lice raiding baits at the moment.Had em strip a full squid head in minutes!!!

Just noticed you have a Kayak - you might have to experiment with the above set ups.

Hearing there are plenty around metro in the evenings at the moment.

Edited by Guest75

Guest Guest5035
    Here's a question for everyone. When I go fishing for snapper, what's the best rig to have. Is it best to have the sinker at the swivel,

with the line and hooks dangling from it, or the sinker at the bottom. The former would allow the hooks to drift somewhat and the latter

would have them more or less anchored above the sinker.

Your thoughts ?

Merv

A lot depends upon where you are fishing - boat??, how deep?? ,sitting anchored or drifting.

Not much taken metro land based ,you have to be really persistent!

My suggestions are for boat fishing.

You can use a standard paternoster rig with say 4/0 hooks upwards.

Shallow ( up to say 15M) I'd stay on Paternoster rigs at anchor.

Drifting and deeper I find a running rig works best.

Running rig on main line,swivel and clip, my own tied hooks (7/0's) on a meter of line.

start off with 4oz weight and see what works. This way you can feed a lot of line out from where the sinker holds to the bottom.

Drifting or ripping tides ( I fish Tapley Shoals) dictate heavier weights to say the least, I've fished with a pound and a half of lead on.

I've just gone back to mono from braid. Had some real tangle probs with braid, had fish wrap around two lines and the berley bag.

On .35 20lb mono . I like thinner lines and enjoy the sport of having a big one on fairly light lines. I play em on my Okuma overheads.

Evenings are seeing lots of sea lice raiding baits at the moment.Had em strip a full squid head in minutes!!!

Just noticed you have a Kayak - you might have to experiment with the above set ups.

Hearing there are plenty around metro in the evenings at the moment.

Sounds alot easier to go to the fish market and buy one AND i'm guaranteed a fish!!:biglaugh:

Stevo

Guest Guest75
    Sounds alot easier to go to the fish market and buy one AND i'm guaranteed a fish!!:biglaugh:

Stevo

Ya numpty :tongue:

It's all the anticipation and the challenge............... having a 28lb Snapper fight is something else :swoon:

Guest Guest5035
    Ya numpty :tongue:

It's all the anticipation and the challenge............... having a 28lb Snapper fight is something else :swoon:

It's all the anticipation and the challenge............... having a mud fight with the wife is something better..:biggrin:

stevo

Guest Guest75

Nah,that's just bravery............

Apparently Sport fishing is when you go fishing on your wife's birthday..................... Done that!

Guest Damien

If fishing from a kayak you'll probably be in fairly shallow water so go unweighted, use a min 3/0 long shank to prevent being bitten off and the longer shank adds a bit of extra weight. No weight means the bait drifts around in the current and you'll pick up snapper, trevally etc. Great fun and you'll get towed around a bit.

Just don't fall off like I did ;)

Guest Mervo44

I don't as yet have a kayak. If I gave that impression, my apologies. I have a feeling that a sinker above the hooks would allow the

bait to drift a bit as opposed to a sinker at the bottom. I think I'll give that a try. I fish off Brighton Jetty where some big snapper have been

caught recently.

Guest yogi64

I use both paternoster and running sinker from both the Kayak and boat, also had quite a few just recently on Whiting rigs.

Mike