Guest jlbrown1308

Opportunity

Guest jlbrown1308

Hi - new to the site today. Last week I was offered a job in Adelaide - HELP. looking to move with whole family. Never been to Austrailia before, but looks on the face of it an opportunity we cannot turn down. As I am new to this could do with some basic advise. Areas, schools and the million dollar answer to the question - Is it worth it???

Hi welcome to the site. Feel free to have a wonder around previous posts, use the search engine etc and ask about anything that is unclear. The answers to the question about which area to choose are as varied as the people on the site! A lot will depend on the type of people you are, the place where you'll be working, your budget, your lifestyle.... remember that no-one else will have exactly the same tastes as you, so really only you can choose! Some good sites to have a browse on also include http://www.realestate.com.au for rentals, http://www.whereis.com and http://www.raa.com.au/maps/ for distances and directions

Guest jlbrown1308

Well money offered is better than UK. so cant complain about that. But it is all a bit rushed. Think my wife is ready to pack and go. Will be around 12/15 weeks before I can go out and start and the family and furniture will have to follow later. The company have offered to pay for flights, moving costs etc so they must be keen. My biggest concern is finding right areas to live with the family (2 children 10 & 8). I suppose my questions are quite simple as the company are willing to assist on a lot of fronts. House rent or buy, findingcars - getting finance. cost of living - make sure my calcs are right. the usual worries. Shipping problems - what to bring what to leave behind.

Guest jlbrown1308

Thanks Diane - we are more the country type currently live in Peak District and i work in Manchester - my kids are quite sporty (two girls 10 & 8) swimming, gymnastices. My wife horse rides and would like to continue. i just bring home the bacon. But one of the main reasons to consider the move is to be together as a family more. Getting fed up with the 70h working week for no recognition.

Guest Guest5035

Wherabouts is the job located as from Gawler in the north to the most southern burb can take 2 hours+ to get to.

Stevo

Guest Ihadtouseanewname

Hi jlBrown1308...not sure really what ur looking for suburb wise,but we are breaking our lease in 12 weeks time in Golden Grove,we have lots of sports recreation facilities on our door-step,my little girl also horse-rides and its a 15 min drive to her riding school,which is fantastic faciltiy.The schools ive heard great things about my DD is only in kindi so have not availed of them.Its quite a big house wit 4 beds,2 baths,big family room,sep sitting room,laundry room,and master wit en-suite and walk in wardrobes.We currently pay $ 370 weekly if you decided on the north PM me if u think u might be interested :-)

Nothing wrong with asking questions (that's what a site like this is for) but imho it's probably more value to browse through various posts on here for a feel of the what the place is like (searching against key words to zone in on what you're looking for). Whether it's the best suburb, cost of living,, schools, or your big question of whether it's worth it, you'll soon see there are no definitive answers, only lots of opinions one way or the other. Amongst the views and squabbles there'll be pointers to help you do a bit more research, build a mental picture of things and narrow down your choices. Research is the best preparation you can do, although there's no substitute for actually being in the place to see if it's what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Jim