Just starting out with application - assessment trouble! Can anyone help please?

Guest Joshl

Guest Joshl

Hi everyone!

My wife and I have been busy getting her teachers qualifications certified so we can move to South Australia, but primary school teachers have been removed from the SOL.

So now we are back on my qualifications.

Basically I have been self-employed since 2004 in the construction industry. I do just about everything from wall and floor tiling, decorating, bathroom and kitchen fitting and general plumbing.

The trouble is that I cant seem to find out how to go about getting any of those skills assessed through the TRA ( http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/Pages/default.aspx ) whom Im supposed to be using to get my skills assessed according to the SOL.

I have contacted them via email, but they basically only answer me with a standard reply they have saved on the desktop or something saying I have to contact the relevant assessing authority and ask them for help.

As far as I can tell THERY ARE the people who needs to do the assessment, but on their own site it only gives a handful of trades they are assessing. It does not include all the ones listed on the SOL.

I hope any of this makes sense?

I would appreciate it very much if anyone can tell me how they went about this process from the UK because it seems like there are no offices or help here in the UK to get your skills assessed.

Thanks very much in advance!

Josh.

Hi, have you had your situation assessed by a migration agent? A personal assessment of your circumstances is usually free. I am a tradie but didn't use TRA assessment route here. You seem to be a bit of an all rounder, where I think you will need to be more trade specific. It's all a complete mine field, and we wouldn't have made it here without an agent. TRA are a law unto themselves, so best let an agent see if you stand a chance of getting visa. Prob not what you wanted to hear. Good luck with it.

Not sure why you're at a dead end with TRA - you'd think they get similar requests all the time! Things may well have changed but the process when we followed it was that you chose the occupation from the list and contacted the assessing authority listed alongside the occupation asking them to send you the application form and any other documentation associated with the assessment. Contact details for all the assessing authorities can be found on DIAC's site as follows:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/assessing-authorities.pdf

I hope this helps.

Jim

Guest Joshl

Thanks keldaz!

May I ask what agent you used and how much they charged? Just seen a company in AUS who can help you get you AQF III based on your experience, but they cahrge $2495 or something! How on earth did you get around not using TRA? I think I would probably go with either wall and floor tiling or painting and decorating. Those are the ones I did most of here. Not sure which one pays best in Aus though...

Guest Joshl
Not sure why you're at a dead end with TRA - you'd think they get similar requests all the time! Things may well have changed but the process when we followed it was that you chose the occupation from the list and contacted the assessing authority listed alongside the occupation asking them to send you the application form and any other documentation associated with the assessment. Contact details for all the assessing authorities can be found on DIAC's site as follows:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/assessing-authorities.pdf

Jim

Thanks Jim!

Thats basically what I did. TRA is the assessing authority from my trades. Maybe I should give them a call and see what they say instead. Might be better than waiting for an email. Thing is there is not much time left until 1st July. When they change the application proccess. Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing to be honest.

Will have to wait and see. Don't think I will get my assessment and everything else done before then.

Does anyone else know what exactly the new system will do to the application proccess?

Thanks again!

Josh.

I hope this helps.

Hi Joshl, tap Migrate Mates into Google, thats who we used. Can't remember exact fees and it was a couple of years ago we paid. Just remember we thought very reasonable. In my earlier post was just trying to point out, although I didn't make it very clear I admit, that TRA may not have responded due to you not being trade specific. Think it depends on your location in UK as to whether or not you use TRA as assessors. I am from England, and TRA only got involved once I was in Aus. I did a course (in Aus) that had a Scottish guy and some Irish lads on it, think I remember right, the Scottish guy went through Vetassess as I did, but the Irish lads were assessed through TRA. Can't help with Wales I'm afraid.

I know its all money money money, but I would get an agent to check you out first (this bit should be free), at least that way you won't waste your time.

Sorry to hear your OH's prof of primary teacher is off SOL list, as this would probably have been best route for you both. Good luck.