Guest skoobzz03

Doggie Quarantine

Guest skoobzz03

Hi folks!

I moved back to the UK last June to try and work out where I was meant to be.... apparently tho, it's not England, lol, so am now saving up to get myself and my four legged friend back to Adelaide quick smart!! My dog is like my shadow and curls up in a ball and waits for me to come home when I leave her. When I moved over here, she had to fly 3 months later cos of her rabies vaccs and my old housemate told me she pretty much sat on the sofa, looking out of the window, waiting for me to come home for 3 months.... only got up to eat and go to the toilet!! I'm therefore stressing about the 4 week quarantine period.

I thought perhaps I could stay in a hostel in Melbourne for a month so I can visit her in quarantine but this will of course be rather expensive and it will delay my job search and I can only visit 4 days a week anyway. Also thought I could fly to Adelaide at weekend and do job interviews etc on the Monday/Tuesday but what a mare that is likely to be!

Has anyone had a similar experience with their dogs and how did they cope with being in quarantine for a month? Do they get over it or are they scarred for life??!

Would be great to hear your thoughts

Cheers!

Emma :)

Guest westie1972

Have you thought about a Pet Passport, I think that they do them here as I was looking into them?

Zoe

Guest skoobzz03
    Have you thought about a Pet Passport, I think that they do them here as I was looking into them?

Zoe

Hiya, yes, brought Kizzy over to UK on one last year, however there is still 4 weeks quarantine coming back into Oz (without it, it would be 6 months!). Such a shame!! :D

Guest westie1972

That's a pity, I didn't realise that dogs have to go into quarantine with the passport.

Don't honestly think there's a way around the quarantine to be honest. You can organise for someone to come in and play with your dog or take her for a walk several times a week whilst she's in quarantine. They take pictures and email them to you so that you can see she's being cared for. I'll try and find the name of the firm we used when Trevor was in quarantine in Sydney and send you a PM if you like.

Guest cooksinparadise

Hi Emma,

The only thing that I can recommend for your four legged friend are some Bach Flower essences. Walnut is great for changes, along with Star of Bethlehem which will help to minimise any

stress (usually given after suffering a stressful incident but would be okay to give just in case). I would also recommend that once your doggie arrives in Melbourne in Quarantine that if you visit

and are allowed to do so, leave an item of your clothing that you have recently worn with your them which will give them great comfort. Even if you visit once a week that will help. I moved my horse

out here and he had to have 2 weeks quarantine in the UK and 2 weeks in Melbourne too. I gave him flower essences and homeopathic remedies too and he travelled really really well which was such

a relief. Good luck and make sure you thoroughly vet the carrier you are going to use...have heard some heart breaking stories...so be strong and make a noise so they know how precious

your cargo is!!!!

Kindest Regards

Yvonne