Guest Dr Scotland

Getting mobile phone contract

Guest Dr Scotland

I was trying to find an email address on Telstra website but without success... Any advice about what you need to get a contract phone ASAP after arriving? Do you need to have a permanent address? Would like to have a decent smartphone (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S2 or 3) soon after arriving to allow good internet access - as I am sure there will be a lot of googling going in the first weeks. And any advice about providers? Thanks, Simon

Getting an SA driving licence will make things easier. Even if you are only in temporary accommodation the licence will show your address (just get a 1 year licence). That, your bank details and your passport are all thats needed. Phone contracts all seem to be 2 yr standard over here rather than the 1 yr in the UK. Telstra offer by far the best coverage. Getting the phone / contract is very quick and while you wait. If you are a Dr and work at the Uni you can get a very good deal via the Uni of Adelaide / Telstra contracts - only the Rundle Mall Telstra shop can arrange this.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

We got Telstra prepaid sims when we first arrived no problem. When we tried to get a contract phone with them after a couple of months they wouldn't give us one because we didn't have the credit history. Hubby had a job, SA driving license, all the other ID and they wouldn't budge. The guy said we'd have the same problem when it came to broadband, Foxtel etc too and said go away, rack up some credit and come back in 6 months!! We got the Galaxy S2 on contract the next day from vodafone. They had to email a copy of a wage slip to their credit department for the OK but then it was approved. We also got our Internet with Adam without any issues whatsoever.

You need 100 points of ID. SA driving licence is 70, Medicare card is 30. I think passport is 70 and a bank card is 25. But all companies differ.

Guest Crushfamily

I use Amaysim - they do a PAYG and a monthly deal which is $39.90 for unlimited calls to all Mobiles, Landlines, 13 + 1300 nos, unlimited texts and 4GB of Data (or is that Darta!!)

Just another option - three/vodafone offer 100 mins of UK landline calls for an extra $5 a month which is a great option for me, I use these to call my Dad and Grandma who aren't Skypers. Bargain...