British Tuck shop Glenelg???????

keldaz

Guest butchy2k

Guys

we all moved here to AUSTRALIA!! not little britian, enjoy the food you can get here and not worry about chocolate fingers tasting the same!!! Sure we all miss the things from back home but I am guessing you all moved here for a better life whatever that entails including the small sacrifices of yorkies and monster munch! .......................and the fight started....

Guys

we all moved here to AUSTRALIA!! not little britian, enjoy the food you can get here and not worry about chocolate fingers tasting the same!!! Sure we all miss the things from back home but I am guessing you all moved here for a better life whatever that entails including the small sacrifices of yorkies and monster munch! .......................and the fight started....

I get the sentiment but regarding the bits I've put in bold: how can you enjoy pies you don't like? and, not in our case - we came for the adventure knowing it would be hard to top the life we were already living (which is just as well or we'd have been disappointed - especially with the food) ;)

Guys

So agreed...!!!

Guest The Dimmocks
amazing how everyones taste buds change, last time i went back the sausage rolls were crap, as were the chips..

stevo

I agree with you Stevo when I went back to UK I had a list of things I wanted to eat again but didnt enjoy many of them. I did love my chicken tikka meat and chips from old local chip shop. I had some chocolate which was way to sweet and the curries we used to get from Asda ended up in the bin uneaten. Since moving we make alot of stuff from scratch.

I did go into the new sweet shop in local shopping centre and brought hubby some flying saucers.

Guest loublack
Keldaz,

I am most definitely a girl; if you have any problems getting hold of the readybrek, i am off to the plaza on saturday.......

will pick some up for you, if you want!

Getting meself some blackjacks,..........and angel delight; oh god yes, angel delight!!!!

It's interesting to read what people miss about the homeland; if anyone is going back soon, for a visit PLEASE bring me some Thorntons toffees.......finished the box i brought back, and oh how i would love to have not been such a piglet!!

Regards

Jane

Last time i was in David Jones they had a huge Thorntons selection of goodies...pricey but when it comes to their original toffee definitely worth it!!

Keldaz,

I am most definitely a girl; if you have any problems getting hold of the readybrek, i am off to the plaza on saturday.......

will pick some up for you, if you want!

Getting meself some blackjacks,..........and angel delight; oh god yes, angel delight!!!!

It's interesting to read what people miss about the homeland; if anyone is going back soon, for a visit PLEASE bring me some Thorntons toffees.......finished the box i brought back, and oh how i would love to have not been such a piglet!!

Regards

Jane

Hi Scousemouse, very pleased to hear you are a girl, had visions that I'd just told a tattoo covered man with a beard and a beer gut, I loved him for telling me about choc ready brek outlet. Thanks for the offer of picking up ready brek for me, if you weren't on the totally opposite side of the city, I'd have taken you up on it. Can't believe your a billy no mates, your too nice.

To All, interesting reading the comments on here. Another ex-pat said to me 'go home then', after I had said I wasn't that impressed with the food. Little bit strong I say. We've only eaten out twice in a non fast food setting, and the food was excellent. Whenever we've been abroad we always try local food, ok so it usually ends up with us laughing and spitting it back out, but we do give it a go. Lots of food products here are high quality, but choice is limited. Jim and Adel have hit the nail on the head, not going to pretend to like pies they don't like.

Butchy2k, yes thanks for your post, we know we are in Australia, we very much do not want little Britain, we came over with a 'give it a go' Aussie rules apply attitude. One day, if I ever get to the end of it, I'll post on here exactly what I've had to go through to get my trade licence, I've taken it all in good spirit, but I can promise you it'll make your toes curl. So please don't slate me for wanting some comfort food.......and the fight continued lol.

Sure I saw some Thorntons in the lolly shop on the street with the antique shops in Strathalbyn. Next time I'm around there I'll check and if they do I'll get some and pm you.

Jim

Lush!!

Jim, you are my hero.........if i get there first, i will pm you, and get you some as a reward

Jane

Oh Dear,

I totally missed the "fight started" comment...................

NO NEED for it, imo; and The LORD knows I am more than happy to weigh into a good "sparring match"! Scousers are known for throwing a punch, then ducking out befor the cops arrive, hahaha

Findon is hardly Moana, Seaford, Hallett Cove...........and i sure as H aint knocking those areas; but to castigate someone for their dietry desires is a bit much......we ALL have stuff we miss, food is just the tip of the iceberg!!

I agree that there are alternatives, and some even better ones, but c'mon, play nice, its only bloody readybrek!!

I am constantly telling expats that this isnt Engerland, deal with it, and a few don't like it, but thats about issues unrelated to this particular topic!

Keldaz, i don't have any tattoos, scared of needles ( yes even nurses don't like them); and as for being "nice", please dont ever say that again! "nice" is the jumper your nana knitted, or a dress the missus looks like a sack of spuds in!! LOL!!! The offer stands, btw.

Scousemouse, ok I withdraw nice and replace it with scary. If you ever saw a jumper my nana knitted, you would realise it wasn't nice either, mainly due to the fact it was twice as big as me, and you could put it on by stepping through the neck hole lol.

At the start of this thread I was only asking if anyone knew of a British tuck shop in Glenelg, I wasn't for one minute suggesting we all walk around wearing union jack t-shirts and eat nothing but British pies. Have had some really well balanced conversations about differences with Aussie's, with some Poms it seems everthing has to be set in stone. I hate marmite, some people love love it, I'm cool with that.

Guest Guest75

Juicy haddock ,in cripsy batter, thick cut (yes CUT) chips - fried in beef dripping..............

One of the few things I miss!!.

Mrs Tyke's cooking is fab and even better over here so not short of a good feed!!

I enjoy real Gammon from the Pommy butchers at Southgate Plaza, Reynella.

After a while you miss less.

Guest ladyarkles

In the interests of research (and cos I happened to be passing), I took a couple of pics of the shop window.

I would have taken more, but the shop lady was looking at me with suspicion.

Note the jar of cockles in case you are missing that particular delicacy!

(why, oh why?)

~ Rach xx

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Guest sarahtwinn82

Coles at Noarunga Collanades sell some British stuff too, my little thing is proper colemans mint sauce. But for the life of me I can't find Primula cheese spread in a tube or Dairylea, and a big decent tub of Gravy wouldn't go a miss.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tterrier81

bh.jpg

just for u tyke, and yes this was in oz, juicy haddock, hand cut chips, couple of pieces of scampi, curry sauce and a dandelion n burdock to wash it down with.......yuuuummm!!!!!!

Guest butchy2k

Nothing like a nice heated or not, discussion raised from a simple what I like! lol although have to admit, why anyone would choose to eat the brown sludge cleaned out of the bottom of an engine sump put it in a jar and label it food is beyond me! lol and dont even get me started on pie floaters!!!!! its just standforths and bachelors on a plate with a dollop of ketchup! but hey who doesnt love West End.................oh yea thats right anyone with taste buds! heres to the freindly rivalry between the UK and her prison island! Hip Hip.................:-)

Guest Tterrier81

haha thats the best chip shopo curry sauce money can buy, oh i forgot u southerners dont eat stuff like that, stick to ur jellied eels n pie with parsley gravy?????

haha thats the best chip shopo curry sauce money can buy, oh i forgot u southerners dont eat stuff like that, stick to ur jellied eels n pie with parsley gravy?????

I think they were pulling your leg.... never seen anything that looks like that apart from in a bowl after a bout of food poisoning!! Always knew you northerners had wierd taste.....and it's pie 'n' mash for us Londoners! None of that green stuff!!

Guest Barney Rubble
I think they were pulling your leg.... never seen anything that looks like that apart from in a bowl after a bout of food poisoning!! Always knew you northerners had wierd taste.....and it's pie 'n' mash for us Londoners! None of that green stuff!!

Was born in Battersea and i MUST know you Diane, pie 'n' mash is in my top 5

When OH went back we had it 2 - 3 times a week, the boys loved it.

Here goes:

1. Sausage, mash, peas n' gravy

2. Pasty (with meat in it) chips, peas n' gravy

3. Toad in the hole

4. Pie n' mash, peas n' gravy

5. Hog's Breath steaks . . . . . all of them !

Mmmmmmmm can feel the midnight munchies coming on:wacko:

Guest Katangel

One year before we moved to the UK, we made an online order at bestofbritish.com.au where my hubby racked up a bill of nearly $500 ordering his favourite English foods just for xmas. It was lovely receiving it and eating it but now we are in the UK and miss the aussie food! Every now and then friends and family post some stuff to us. I love getting tins of milo which they don't sell here and shapes, cheese and bacon balls and i.m really missing farmers union ice coffee! Hubby imports tooheys extra dry beer as you just can't beat it and we get our English friends to try it and they love it! You do learn to adjust to the new foods of the new country but you will always have onus favourites :-) i miss egg custards from Greggs when in oz and bisto gravy and pot noodles lol pretty sad hey :-)