Problems getting a job on a SIR Visa?

Guest C&Z

Hi

Wonder if any can offer advice. We have just found Poms in Adelaide website after receiving our SIR 495 visa last week.

On another immigration website there was a mention that some people had had problems getting work on a SIR visa as it is not PR. On looking at jobs on seek.com etc most jobs asked for PR. My husband is the main applicant as a Gardener and I am just a PA/Secretary. I am not too fussed about whether I work in my type job (though it has also been mentioned that admin jobs don't go to foreigners in Adelaide on a thread). But after reading this, my husband is worried because obviously he needs a permanente job to meet the SIR visa criteria to get PR.

Can anyone share any experiences with us, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.:huh:

Claire and Zack

Guest Lulujim

Hi, We have the same concerns as you. We are going out on a SIR 475 visa and have the same criteria to fill as you guys. My hubby is a Manager, and I won't be working (as will have 2 small children) so he is feeling the pressure hugely.

My understanding is that you get 2 years to hold down a 12 month position within and then you can apply for PR. We're hoping he'll find something that he can do for 12 months and that'll pay for the rent. Then when we have PR more job opportunities will be open for him??

I will watch this thread with interest and hope that people can be reassuring!

Take care

Hi,

there are some jobs and some employers that require PR but the jobs i have looked at on seek and careerone most just state residency as they don't want lots of applications from people overseas or who have no right to work.

I will be arriving shortly on a sir495 and if your visas have the same conditions it is 12months full time (over 35hours a week) work, this can be several temp jobs, 2 partime jobs at the same time, or self employment you do not need a permanant job to change to PR later.:)

Simon

Guest Unch&dougs

There is a letter on the official immigration website that you can print off for prospective employers setting out the criteria - seems like most jobs are open to you other than defence ones etc. Check out the DIMA website under 495 visa

Hi

Wonder if any can offer advice. We have just found Poms in Adelaide website after receiving our SIR 495 visa last week.

On another immigration website there was a mention that some people had had problems getting work on a SIR visa as it is not PR. On looking at jobs on seek.com etc most jobs asked for PR. My husband is the main applicant as a Gardener and I am just a PA/Secretary. I am not too fussed about whether I work in my type job (though it has also been mentioned that admin jobs don't go to foreigners in Adelaide on a thread). But after reading this, my husband is worried because obviously he needs a permanente job to meet the SIR visa criteria to get PR.

Can anyone share any experiences with us, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.:huh:

Claire and Zack

Hubbies had 5 job offers since getting here - not one has asked which type of visa he's on.

Just as long as you have a tax file number there should be no problems.

There are some jobs where you need a permanent visa - police , government, airports.

Just as long as you stay clear of these - you'll be fine.

Nick

x

Guest Libby1971

As far as I know you need 12 months worth of payslips in full time employment to show immigration. They do not have to be consecutive (sp?). As soon as you have it, you submit your application for perm residency. You do not have to wait for the x years to be up.

Libby

As far as I know you need 12 months worth of payslips in full time employment to show immigration. They do not have to be consecutive (sp?). As soon as you have it, you submit your application for perm residency. You do not have to wait for the x years to be up.

Libby

The 2 year time restriction does still apply if you are seeking permanent residency through the state sponsored route after a 495, however if you have an employer who is willing to sponsor you then the 2 year rule doesnt apply. Know this becuase we are currently debating whether its worth accepting sponsorship from OH employer or waiting another 6 months to go through the state sponsorship route.

Cheers

Thank you for all your replies and help.

Does anyone know that if you are on a SIR Visa whether the tax rate that you pay is of a PR or a sponsored temporary resident?

Thank you.

Claire