niknjas

Bizarre - Learners licence question

Hi

I finally decided to bite the bullet and join the mad aussie driving.

Held a provisional in UK and have done nothing to re-instate until recently.

Been swotting up like mad to learn give way and multiple choice.

Didn't tell anyone, even hubbie that I was going for it this morning. Geared myself up to take a test (feeling really sick with nervousness and feeling like bolting out of the door). Went to the desk, paid for my licence which I thought was odd before sitting my test in case I failed, had my photo taken and got given my temporary licence.

Asked the girl behind the desk "Don't I take a test"? Her reply was no. So they are now ready to let me out on the roads, not knowing my previous knowledge and only sighting my UK provisional!?!?

At what point do you take the test to know that you know your rights of way etc or have they cocked up or is it because I have previously held a provisoal and am only slightly :biglaugh: over 21?

Help someone please from a very **** scared but very excited Niki

Hi

Sorry still was in UK mode as regarding wording. They gave me my learners permit, but I thought I had to sit a test to get it (like stated in the log book and online), otherwise I would have gone in months ago. Not going to get in the drivers seat until I know the full facts and know I am not breaking the law...

Very confused

Edited by niknjas

maybe its because they assumed you having a uk one you have already done that bit, even though uk drivers do it at the end. Id give them a ring but hey if they dont think you need to sit the test then i wouldnt imagine you would be breaking the law, good luck x

maybe its because they assumed you having a uk one you have already done that bit, even though uk drivers do it at the end. Id give them a ring but hey if they dont think you need to sit the test then i wouldnt imagine you would be breaking the law, good luck x

Will do. Thank you for the advice and the good luck wishes

Why do you think there are so many red (injury) and black (fatal) marker boards on the road sides! Considering theres very little traffic there appear to be loads of accidents - especially in the rain. From watching the lorry drivers I don't think they have to sit any kind of test.

Guest ReadyPenny

My daughter had a UK provisional license but still had to take the test to get her learners permit? Could be an age thing?? She was 19 when she took her test and is now on her P 1s after successfully completing the log book. Did you have any lessons that you can prove in the UK? If so, you can get the hours credited against the log book method of learning to reduce the amount of hours you need to do from 75. My daughter had done 50 hours with BSM, I got them to send me a letter stating this and Service SA reduced her required hours to 25 which she completed quite quickly.

Hi ReadyPenny

I've held a provisional licence for years and taken lessons on and off over the years. Took my first test when i was 18 and failed due to my own stupid mistake. Moved out of home and didn't do it again for ten years. Pregnant with my eldest and had mush brain and stopped and then started again and then fell pregnant with my youngest and then decided to moved out here. My last instructor just said I had to get my confidence up. I probably could get a letter from him. My first one I think passed away a while ago now Not bothered about driving again from scratch just wary of aussie drivers and want to know I am doing the right thing.

Thanks Diane - I agree wholeheartedly with all of that - always questioning hubbie why are they doing things like that

I would recheck the license they've given you. They swapped someone we knows UK provisional for a Australian full license. We assume because she was a mature person and they didnt really understand the provisional bit, then they assumed it was a full license.

Have another look at it, to be sure they havent done this to you to.

I would recheck the license they've given you. They swapped someone we knows UK provisional for a Australian full license. We assume because she was a mature person and they didnt really understand the provisional bit, then they assumed it was a full license.

Have another look at it, to be sure they havent done this to you to.

Hi

Thanks for the advice. Looked at it and it is definately written as a learners permit. Will wait to see the roper one when it comes through.

Did go into the police station though and check it out as thought they were bound to know. Explained everything to them and he said if that is what they issued, that that is fine and if I got stopped for any reason, it says that I have a learners so not to worry?!

Still not convinced but does not seem to think I have to sit it. May be because I have my UK provisonal and am over 21?!

I know someone who had a British Provisional for years also.When they went in to the licence Office here in Adelaide they were issued with a full licence.Needless to say,they kept it QT.

If it's a learner permit then you need to abide by the restrictions or you'll get pinched and it will hurt big time. In SA the purpose of a learner's permit is to drive under supervision/instruction and there are a number of restrictions on driving, regardless of your previous skills. When you pass your practical test or the logbook hours you get your Provisional and then later your full licence.