R & H

Driving Licence

Hi

Can anyone confirm if we will need to take an Australian Driving test, if so is there a timescale to this.

Also my son is 20 years old and just passed his test in the UK, I would assume that he will have to take an Aussie Test. Does anyone know how many lessons he'd have to take and how much a lesson costs?

Thanks (it's another box we need to tick)

R & H:biggrin:

its a straight swap over for your licence no test involved you have 3 months to do it in. Not sure about your son...

But don't forget u need to pay for them and you get them in 1,3,5 year license.we paid $300 for a 5 yr license.. cannot rember the other price for the 1 and 3 yr license

Your son will just get a full Ozzie lecense to. Our daughter came with us at 19. Had been passed 11 months in the uk. They just gave her a full license. Didnt go on 'P' at all

Donna

Yep,our son passed 3 weeks before we came here.Straight onto full Licence,no problem,though he did notice no one here drives like he was taught to!:shocked:

Guest ali

OK then, I'll be getting my license a few weeks before I get there. So I'll get a full license then? Nice:wink::smile:

Woah! That's pricey for a license!!! Do you need to change your license if you move inter-state?

Each state or territory has they own system so you would have to change over if your living there.

Woah! That's pricey for a license!!! Do you need to change your license if you move inter-state?

Guest Guest9815

so you don't have to retake your driving test? its just a case of changing your existing uk licence for an aussie one? and theres me telling my wife she has to retake her test after 17 years of driving.. lol

With regard to your son, i think it depends where you go to change over the licence. When we arrived my daughter had a full licence but had to go on her P's (Victoria) I also recall someone on here having to do the same (in SA)

I also recall (either PIA or ad brits) someone handing in their provisional licence and getting a Full licence in return as they'd had their provisional for years in the UK. (i think they'd had 2 or 3 lessons in the Uk many years ago!)

The answer is not always straight forward lol

Hi Sueoc,

Can you tell me where your son changed his licence please? as the latest post on this thread seems to indicate that it's quite important where we choose to get the Aussie licence so that he doesn't go on 'P' plates.

Thanks

H