Handing notice in...

Guest Chris_J

Guest Chris_J

It looks like I am going to hand in my notice some time next month, which at the moment I'm pretty nervous about. Normally I wouldn't be bothered, but I've only been in this job since January so feel a bit bad about it.

Should I feel bad? Any advice? I'm going to say my Wife has got a job out there. Think I should start saying something before I hand in my notice? The time I want to leave, my colleagues are also on holiday :confused:

Guest Helchops

I know this is harsh, but they probably wouldn't feel bad firing you, so don't feel bad firing them!

On a nicer note though, just talk the company up a bit and say lots of 'thank you for the opportunity' if you need a reference...then walk out and forget about it!

Guest Chris_J

Thank You, and true they wouldn't feel bad making me redundant I guess. No reason to dislike the company, it's just a very small company though unfortunately.

Hi Chris,

My husband's company suddenly announced this week they are cutting all products and will be moving everything to the US by the end of the year. Other than that they can't give a time frame so all the employees are left in the lurch. Luckily for us, we are moving over to Aus in August so we are okay. This must have been coming for quite a while but no hint was ever given.

My point is, companies only really care about the bottom line and as long as there is someone to take your place they will be okay.

So don't stress about it, do exactly what suits you, and don't feel bad about it!! Leave on good terms by all means so you will get a good reference and your last few weeks will be easier.

You sound like a really conscientious person (if you weren't you wouldn't even think of this) so I'm sure they will be sorry to lose you but they will wish you well if they are decent!!!

I wish you the very best of luck!!

Guest matt n mel

I also handed my notice in after less than a year in the position due to the oz visa, and i just explained that it was a 5 year plan that happened in half the time so hadn't felt the need to mention it when I 1st accepted the position as I wasn't expecting good ol' diac to move so quickly. I prepared them for it, and then 2-3 weeks later handed in my actual 4 weeks notice so it wasn't a huge shock when I submitted my actual letter.

It's such a weight off when you do it....

And the feelin when you buy a one way ticket........ unbeatable!!!

Good luck

mel

Hi Chris

I've been through this myself over the last couple of months and all I can say is that you need to put it right at the bottom of your list of worries. I too had only been in my job since Jan and handed in my notice as soon as we got back from our reccie (end March), so infact I'd been doing the job 8 weeks and only been with the Company for 13 months.

I was dreading it and didn't sleep for a week. In the end, they were great. Sure, they're making me work my notice, but as I'm not leaving to go to a competitor, they are very positive and clearly a lot of colleagues are quite jealous that we are being brave enough to take the plunge.

Moving to Australia is a massive decision and takes a lot of balls; if you then put handing your notice into context, it's a tiny part of the jigsaw.

I agree with others that if the Company had a downward turn in fortunes, they would probably not be overly emotional at getting rid of their staff. Remember, it's a contract - they pay you, you do the time. I had loads of stories planned about the timing, why etc etc just to justify things - none of it mattered in the end. With hindsight, I think the scariest bit was the fact that once you hand your notice in, it's really real.

Good luck!

Emma

When I was in the UK I decided to be upfront about planning to emigrate to Australia after I had been in the job for about 9 months or so and especially when my boss told me they were thinking of going to New Zealand. A few months later I was called into the top bosses office and basically sacked because he said "they did not feel I was committed to the organisation because I wanted to emigrate"!! At this point although we were pretty certain we were going to get in, we were still going through the process (although we were near the end of the process) and had not yet put our house up for sale, but I still needed a job until we went. I learnt my lesson and kept my mouth shut in the next job and needless to say when I handed in my notice after 8 months there they were not too pleased. Sometimes no matter what you try to do you can't win.

Guest bigal

I agree with all previous answers, but when you come to Aus you better toughen up, companies that look after loyal employees are virtually non existent, it's all about cost cutting and if your hours need to be cut they will without batting an eyelid,I know some guys who are on a 3 day week, 4 hours a day starting at 4am, 12 hours a week.

Jobs are tight, a bit of a dog eat dog situation with even some of your work colleagues trying to move in on your hours you gotta be tough,Poms have had it good for so long ,in this country you've got to be able to turn your hand to jobs you previously thought were "not my job" anyway enough pessimism just toughen up nobody is indispensible there is probably a hundred men waiting to jump into your shoes and as luck would have it the guy may be better at the job than you.

Guest bigal
When I was in the UK I decided to be upfront about planning to emigrate to Australia after I had been in the job for about 9 months or so and especially when my boss told me they were thinking of going to New Zealand. A few months later I was called into the top bosses office and basically sacked because he said "they did not feel I was committed to the organisation because I wanted to emigrate"!! At this point although we were pretty certain we were going to get in, we were still going through the process (although we were near the end of the process) and had not yet put our house up for sale, but I still needed a job until we went. I learnt my lesson and kept my mouth shut in the next job and needless to say when I handed in my notice after 8 months there they were not too pleased. Sometimes no matter what you try to do you can't win.

Surely that is not a sackable offence they sound like Morons,you should have taken them to an industrial tribunal, employers like that shouldn't be in business.

Guest Chris_J

Thank You for all the answers and definitely some food for thought there. I guess it's because I've never handed my notice in before, as I was at my last place for 12 years and made redundant. The new company have been pretty good so far but I knew I had to do it at some point so can't complain. The job is needs must I guess as I did try and find contract work but got nowhere. Ah well, whatever happens will happen. They can't refuse my notice can they?

Guest Mitchell

Don't worry Chris they can't refuse your notice! The closest they can get is to negotiate a different end date however they must pay you at least the months notice if they want you to leave early and later end dates are only if you agree

I agree with all previous answers, but when you come to Aus you better toughen up, companies that look after loyal employees are virtually non existent, it's all about cost cutting and if your hours need to be cut they will without batting an eyelid,I know some guys who are on a 3 day week, 4 hours a day starting at 4am, 12 hours a week.

Jobs are tight, a bit of a dog eat dog situation with even some of your work colleagues trying to move in on your hours you gotta be tough,Poms have had it good for so long ,in this country you've got to be able to turn your hand to jobs you previously thought were "not my job" anyway enough pessimism just toughen up nobody is indispensible there is probably a hundred men waiting to jump into your shoes and as luck would have it the guy may be better at the job than you.

I agree with Bigal's comments - I've worked with some great employers and some of my colleagues still remain good friends but I have worked with one or two that haven't been great. My brother on the other hand has worked with some shockers....in fact most have been shockers. I suppose it sometimes depends on the industry that you work in. But you do have to look after yourself and worry is not a good thing. So don't worry, look forward - hand in your notice when it suits you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chris_J

Well I've told them. They're disappointed because I was fitting in and reliable etc but have been ok. Think I'm getting a bit of cold shoulder treatment but hey ho it's only a few weeks now. Notice going in this week so they have plenty of time til the end of August.

No not Woolies :) that closed down ages ago. I'm in IT its a very small company

I was referring to Bigal's post. IE 12hrs a week starting at 4.0am. Woolies in Adelaide is a chain of food supermarkets. They don't sack you they just cut your hours down.

Guest bigal
I was referring to Bigal's post. IE 12hrs a week starting at 4.0am. Woolies in Adelaide is a chain of food supermarkets. They don't sack you they just cut your hours down.

No its not Woolies, I'm not game to say who it is, but it's a big company from the fruit market that supplies produce, sorry can't say anymore.

Guest bigal
No not Woolies :) that closed down ages ago. I'm in IT its a very small company

Woolies alive and kicking in Aus [not FW Woolworth] but Woolworths a supermarket chain.