Nette

SIR and 'full time' employment

Can anyone please advise re: the 'full time' 12 month work requirement that is attached to the SIR 495 visa.

I emigrated to South Australia 6 months ago and am employed as a junior primary teacher. My contract states that my position is a 'full time' position (and I get to work at 7.30am and leave at 5pm,) however, my big problem is that my pay slips only pay me for 27 and a half hours a week as I am only paid for 'contact time' with the kids.

To qualify for permanent residency, immi.gov.au states that any employment will not be classed as 'full time' if it is below 30 hours per week.

Will immigration accept that I have been working 'full time' even though my pay slips contradict this!:confused:

Thanks for any advance in advice.

Guest Libby1971

I believe so.

Don't quote me on this but I think in order to support your statement, someone from your school would need to confirm this on headed paper that you are in a full time position. It wouldn't need to be much - name, start of employment, what position held, what hours being paid and in what capacity i.e. full/ part time,.

To be on the safe side, contact someone at immigration preferably by email if you get the chance so that they email you back. That way you will have something in writing that confirms what you have said so in 6 onths time, they can't change their minds.

Please please contact Immigration now though. It would be terrible if you waited and then had confusion later causing you any stress.

Let us know how you get on.

Libby

Guest Nick11

I'm sure I've read somewhere on DIAC website about the full time rule - but certain professions are exempt - teachers, lecturers spring to mind.

I would give them a ring.

I'm 100% positive you'll have no probs.

Thanks so much for all your advice.

I have been trying to contact immigration but i can never get through to their helpline.

Will keep trying and let you know how I go.

Thanks again! :D