Hi all

Guest stickman

Guest stickman

Hi all, just a quick post to say "hi" after having signed up smile.gif Signed up to Poms in Oz last week, and then discovered you guys over here so thought I should sign up as Adelaide looks to be topping our list of places to settle at the moment.

So, by way of an intro... I'm Tony, work as a creative director (ponsy title that I hate, lol) in the web industry, live for my sportsbike and twisty roads. I'm married to Lou, who's a nurse, and our daughter Daisie, who at the age of 12 still insists that she's too young to quit school and finance her own life ;)

The idea of a move to Oz is a new one on me... having spent the last few years planning a move to NZ, it seems my wife and daughter have changed their minds in favour of Oz's better weather for one thing, and the hope of better high street shopping for another... sigh. I'm still confused about the whole thing and having settled on Christchurch being our next expected place to live, I now find us facing the prospect of starting the process all over.

Interesting to see the Adelaide is actually Christchurch's sister city.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you guys, reading more about the Adelaide area and South Oz in general, finding out which suburbs we should be looking at as city living doesn't appeal at all. We currently live about 20 minutes from Leeds in a lovely little village surrounded by fields, and looking for a similar amount of space - would much prefer to extend the commute than to live in a city. Also looking to find info on here about schooling in the area.

Better get back to work I suppose,

Tony

Guest Libby1971

Hi Tony

I found PIA in exactly the same way as you. I don't visit PIO as much as I used and sometimes for months at a time without going on!

Hope we can be of help to you...as you say, have a read through some of the old threads and get back to us with any questions you think of

Libby

Hi Tony,

Welcome to PIA. I'm also on PIO but prefer to spend my time on here. I know exactly what you mean regarding city living. I'm a London boy but moved away from the big smoke 15 years ago and wouldn't move back if you paid me mega bucks.

Hope you find the site interesting and useful. I have and I often wonder how people did this migration lark before the internet.:wacko:

Pete

hello tony and family and welcome to pia :wubclub:

check out www.adelaidebound.com - that will answer many of your questions re adelaide itself!!

just like you we don't want to be in the city but still haven't made our minds up if northish or southish or hills :wacko:

good luck with the whole process!!

Guest stickman

Cheers for the warm welcome folks

Thanks for the heads up on www.adelaidebound.com - we've been having a nosey around there and have requested the info pack so hopefully that should turn up in the next couple of weeks

SO much to take in and think about with this "I know, let's leave this hole and move somewhere else" lark isn't there? :jiggy:

We're under no delusions and don't expect to make the right choice straight away, but it'd be good to try and get in to the right sort of area. Obviously, a visit would make perfect sense, but we're not sure about us being able to afford to do it, though we'd love to.

All our funds are going to be needed for the application and move, so we're a little hesitant to throw £buckets at flights and a holiday, but the risk is huge. Just found out that getting the dog shipped over is going to cost more than flights for the 3 of us :biglaugh:

Hmmmmm... expect a "dog for adoption poster" some time soon :unsure:

Hi Stickman and Family

We would love to visit Adelaide for a reccy also but there is 5 of us and it is just not financially sound for us all to go. We also have no definate date to go, all dependant on our house selling quickly, think we are going to put it up next week and rent if we sell so we are free to go. If we visited Adelaide now, got our visa in place by summer then didn't sell our house until early 2009 we know that Adelaide is growing so rapidly that the area we want to live in now will probably have changed by the time we sell our house. We have decided to research generally and rent when we get over to Adelaide and decide when we are living there. Might mean a bit of mucking about with schools and moving but a chance we are willing to take. Hope all goes well for you all.

Guest caoimhe

Hi Tony, Lou and Daisie

Welcome to PIA

I have been to Adelaide on hols but Stephen and the kids havn't. I also done sydney and Gold coast, I know you can't base the rest of your life on one holiday but Adelaide was the only one of the three I would consider, but we are all different

I have family there too which helps and at the beginning we will rent somewhere near them until we find our feet. I think the advice that those that have already taken the plunge give is to drive around when you get there and see what feels right, that what we plan

Good luck in the application

Jacqui

Hi Tony and Lou

Good luck with your plans for Adelaide. Interested in what you said about Christchurch and Adelaide. We currently live in NZ (north island) but plan to be in Adelaide at the end of 2008. My OH is a kiwi but I am a brit. Weather-wise, Christchurch has been almost as hot as Adelaide this year but it has been the warmest NZ summer on record and they do get very cold winters there. Christchurch also has a reputation for violent crime and young kids driving around the streets going crazy. The drugs problem is quite bad there too. Shopping is definitely not as good here - very poor compared to the UK and not as good as Oz . Our daughter and son in law are moving to Adelaide in the Spring and for them Oz definitely has more opportunities and generally more to offer than NZ. There is a huge number of kiwis leaving for Oz as the salaries are higher and taxes lower etc - mainly young professionals . NZ has changed - even over the last few years - so I think you have probably made the right decision. NZ is a beautiful country - breathtakingly beautiful in places - but you cant live on beautiful views alone. Best of luck for your plans.

Mariane and Cliff