Guest misschief3003

Shipping my dog out help needed

Guest misschief3003

Hey guys does anyone know who the cheapest to ship your dog out with us? I'm on a serious tight budget now and looking for prices for my Dalmatian who is 40 kilos any help would be hugely appreciated thanks in aadvance siobhan x

Guest La1ney

Hi, our dogs leave at the end of August (a springer spaniel and a Jack Russell), we are using Golden Arrow, i'm not saying they are the cheapest but they have been fab in sorting the boys. Out of the quotes we got they came in the middle.

Hi there, we are using Petair Who are not the cheapest either but have so far been really helpful. I found they were the only ones that considered calming the dogs by spraying the crate with a pheromone which is given off by nursing bitches. Our vet confirmed its good stuff. We fly in September and fingers crossed all goes well. Make sure you get the rabies jab ASAP as your dog has to have a blood test done 30 days later and then they cant enter until a further 150 days and then the 30 days quarantine. If you enter before 150 days your dog will be longer in quarantine which is more expense. In all 180 days from blood test following jab. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck

Guest misschief3003

Oh really?? I fly in September. Oh no. So she can't come out till next year then?

You need to allow at least 5 months before shipping for the rabies blood work etc. Then the 30 days quarantine in Aus, so 6 months all up.

Fwiw it's not weight based but size, so you will need to measure your dig as exact as possible so a crate can be made to the right size, allowing room to turn round and stand up.

Please be aware that cheapest isn't always best. I'd be wary if a company comes in really cheap.

You can do the paperwork yourself also to help save pennies. Perhaps contact some pet shipping companies and get some quotes.

Guest Dazzlin

Hi Siobhan,

We used Transfur for our cat recently for the UK to Melbourne leg of the journey. They were very reasonable but were more of a hands-off approach. For example, we arranged the final vet inspections and had to deliver our cat to Heathrow. This made it cheaper overall, but the instructions they sent us didn't make it clear that we had to take the rabies test results with us and, if it wasn't for some frantic e-mails and the government vet at the airport giving us a break, she wouldn't have travelled. Having said that, Transfur arranged for the import permit, flight, quarantine stay and the shipping box, which was delivered early to allow her to get used to it.

I met the Golden Arrow guy when I was at Heathrow and got talking to him. They were clearly very professional and had some good tactics to ensure safe passage, like taping an envelope to the outside of the box with a copy of all of the documents in it, in case the pilot 'loses' the documents (it can happen apparently). We had heard them recommended by others but didn't go with them because we lived near Heathrow whereas they are up near Shropshire somewhere. As part of their service they board the animals with them for a few days while they sort out the final vet inspections, tablets, etc. for you, which would have meant our cat travelling all the way up there only to come back again a few days later. Given how difficult the flight and quarantine was going to be we didn't want to put her through that.

Presuming you're coming to SA, you will also need to separately arrange a further transfer from Melbourne (where the nearest quarantine centre is) to Adelaide. We used Dogtainers, who were very good and our cat was delivered to our home without any problems. They arranged the domestic flight, movement from quarantine to the Melbourne airport, and then collection from Adelaide airport and delivery to our rental property.

Unfortunately, as you've now learned, the UK came into line with EU laws on animal movements from 1st January, which means that the rest of the world now treats the UK as the same rabies risk as continental Europe. Consequently, all animals from the UK must have a rabies jab followed by a successful blood test (3-4 weeks later) six-months before they can leave quarantine (calculated from the date they pass the blood test - our cat failed the first one and had to have a booster followed by another 3-4 week wait before another blood test).

Hope this is helpful. Good luck with it.

Daren

Bob at PetAir is a fellow vet and I would trust him with my babies, maybe have a chat with him, he is over on PIO.

Guest jewels

Hi there,

Over the last few weeks we have checked out all the UK Pet shippers, we have seen the majority face to face, the one we were extremely impressed with was Golden Arrow in Shropshire, they are absolutely fantastic, what a set up they have, my friend has previousl used them and by far I think they are the best, wow what a departure lounge they have for the pets waiting to go its fantastic its like a royal trip, they arent the cheapest but gosh what a good service, we viseted them face to face. The care of the animals is of upmost important and if they areunwell they dont go, have a look at the website, call them

Guest Jennet

We have used Golden Arrow, they are keen with a good strict schedule, they like things correctly structured they even speak to your own vet if there is any issues. my cocker spaniel flys 24th July, i rang three different pet shippers and i found them the cheapest so if any pet shippers out there are cheaper than them then MMMmm not too sure,

Guest RobJ1978

Hi

We also got caught out with the rabies injection and we had to leave or dog behind on 10th March...but she will be arriving in september...and we can't wait. We have used Animal courier, my husband has sorted it all out but assures me they have been fab. Always available to talk etc and they will collect our dog from the house where she is at the moment and take her to the airport.

hth

Nic

Guest misschief3003

Thanks guys. We leave a fortnight on Monday and Mollie can't come as she only got her rabies blood tests end of July. I'm going to go woh golden arrow I think as they seem the best by everyone's recommendations. So gutted I can't have her with me for a while. Just love her so much it's like leaving my daughter behind. X

Thanks guys. We leave a fortnight on Monday and Mollie can't come as she only got her rabies blood tests end of July. I'm going to go woh golden arrow I think as they seem the best by everyone's recommendations. So gutted I can't have her with me for a while. Just love her so much it's like leaving my daughter behind. X

We used Golden arrow for our 2 cats and they were brilliant, we then used Dogtainers to fly them from Quarentine in Melbourne to Adelaide they were also so really good.

Guest misschief3003
    We used Golden arrow for our 2 cats and they were brilliant, we then used Dogtainers to fly them from Quarentine in Melbourne to Adelaide they were also so really good.

How much did dogtainers charge to do that flight. So desperate to get my baby out. Feel sick at the thought of her not being with me

Guest RobJ1978

I know how you feel. our dog arrives on friday after leaving her on 10th march...im sooooo excited. but it is also true that when you get here there will be so much to sort out. you will still miss it lots but it wont be the prime focus.

Nic

Guest katynric

Hi

We too are using Golden Arrow, they seem really on the ball with everything and trust them completely. Hugo our Bull mastiff flys out in Dec we are sooo excited to see him...we ll be an emotional wreck when he finally arrives!!!! :)