Guest Katangel

anyone have any tips for older passengers on long haul flights?

Guest Katangel

My parents are flying to the UK from Adelaide in 2 weeks to visit us. They have been on domestic flights to Perth but have never been out of the country let alone to the other side of the world! Lol my dad will have his 73rd birthday here and mum is 65. They are both in pretty good health, slightly overweight (aren't we all! Lol) but just wondering whether anyone else.s parents or elderly family or friends have done the big flight and whether there's any advice or tips for them? I know how hard the flight is for myself so i can only imagine it.d be tougher later in life! Maybe! Thank you! :-)

I have two daughters with five grandchildren living in different parts of the world, so I travel each year to see them. In fact, I'm off to NZ tomorrrow. I am older than your Mum and more than slightly overweight!!!!!

First, it is worth tryng to book an aisle seat. I hate having to ask people to move so that I can get out and you can look at the plane diagram to choose where looks best for you. I pay Qantas $20 extra to prebook my seat on long haul flights. It is worth it, I think

I take a few lightweight books or magazines and leave them whereever once I finish. I carry a neckpillow when I have room. Otherwise, I keep my hand luggage to a minimum as it is a nuisance to carry around airports.

It is difficult to walk around planes, but I try to walk as much as I can at the airports in between flights. I try to do the recommended DVT exercises on the plane and always take asprin (as recommended by my Dr.) I drink lots of water and never the airline coffee or tea. I always plan to sleep and take a sleep mask and earplugs, even if I don't always use them. I fly to UK in one trip but I always break the flight in Singapore or Hongkong for a few days coming back, as it really seems to help with the jetlag.

Each time I start out, I think it is a long way, but it"s the only way to see them all and just resign myself to the trip. There are lots of people our age travelling.

Guest miraclebabycaw

I agree with Cliffy. Also they can try book the last row of the plane which is normally only 2 seats or a bulkhead chair as this gives a bit more space for movement. It is VERY important that they move around even doing just basic exercises like rotating ankles etc to keep the blood flowing. They should make a point of walking the length (or as much as they can) every hour. My mother will be travelling with us to Adelaide in December and she is 75. She is not looking forward to the long plane journey but is looking forward to Adelaide.

Guest ali

Try and book seats away from the wings and the aeroplane motors. One more thing, book seats with extra leg space so they can relax and not get cramped into the front seat.:smile: