Seeking employment, any advice or help please.

Guest pitrat

Guest pitrat

Hi all, just joined this week and want to pick some brains! We are coming over in Feb to SA, possibly around the Hallet cove area, as my wife is Australian and wants to return home. I will be coming over on a permanent resident visa (sub class 100). I am a fully qualified mechanic/diesel fitter and also have 10yrs experience as a rail technician fixing and overhauling rolling stock, does anyone know how or where I would best to start looking for employment in any of these roles? I have worked on all types of vehicles in the private and public sector such as cars, light vans, buses, coaches, heavy goods wagons and trailers and also trains (fault finding, general maintenance and overhaul). I can adapt fast to any workshop conditions or work alone as have done on call recovery and breakdown in the past. Any help gladly received.

Just to finish, my wife is a pharmacist and just waiting to sit her conversion exam so if anyone knows of any pharmacy's or hospitals that looking to employ would be a great help.

Sorry to be demanding first off but will be using the site and giving my help if I can to anyone in the future, I was advised to be bold and network so have put this out in the hope of help!

Thanks for taking the time to read, hope someone can help.

Steve.

Edited by pitrat

Guest mers

Hi Steve, I too am a railway fitter from the UK from both freight and passenger trains. I now work on the railway in Adelaide on the suburban trains, little two car sets. In Adelaide there are several railway depots, Unfortunately not very near Hallett cove, most are north of Adelaide city around Dry Creek area ( thats where I work). There is a Depot opening at Seaford in a year or so but you'll have to join the fight to get out of Dry Creek.!!

some of the rail companies are Genesee and wyoming, Downer EDI, United Gonninan, these are mainly freight loco's/ wagons or there is a depot at mile end (keswick near city) that repair the Ghan and the indian Pacific, however I have heard that pay and conditions Aren't great with them.

Most rail companies start you off contracting, usually 3 months maybe longer, The rates of pay are good but you don't get any sick pay or annual leave, The company I was through was REXCO people, thats who our company use( BOMBARDIER)

You are welcome to send your email adress and I am more than happy to give you names and phone numbers of any contacts I know of.

Hope this is of some help Andrew

Guest pitrat

Hi Andrew, thanks for that, had a look on google earth, how long would it take to comute from just south of cbd? I am also a qualified wheel lathe operator and frequently have to profile and machine wheel sets, is there a need for this anywhere, the machine we use is a Hegenscheidt U200 underfloor wheel lathe.

Steve

Guest Mitchell
Hi Andrew, thanks for that, had a look on google earth, how long would it take to comute from just south of cbd? I am also a qualified wheel lathe operator and frequently have to profile and machine wheel sets, is there a need for this anywhere, the machine we use is a Hegenscheidt U200 underfloor wheel lathe.

Steve

Hi Steve

Google maps is your resource for this. You can get it to give you directions to drive which includes a time estimate. Then you can click the transport button and it pulls in data for trams, trains and buses so you can get an estimate for that too.

Hi Steve, there is a wheel lathe at EDI dry creek another brit works there. From south of the city it is about 1/2 hr ish drive depending on time of day. You could go on the EDI website to seecurrent vacancies, I believe the depot manager is called either Kieth or Mike Duthie. cheers Andrew