Guest Sachertorte

The pressure of "delivering for the nation"

Guest Sachertorte

I got up this morning to check the results of the Wimbledon final. I wanted so badly for Murray to win, to give him a chance to savour the title. Maybe to see him smile once.

I checked the BBC news website expecting a bold title in front page, but no mention.

Oh no.

Then I went on news.com.au and closed my eyes whilst the site loaded up (I was grateful for the lag time this once) There it was. Of course, Murray lost so now no-one spends a word about it.

So Murray is not even worth the mention of his courage, of how it stepped up his game, of how everyone might cheer him on at the Olympics. Of how there really is no shame in losing against the player with the best track record and the most experience on the court.

I am sorry if this comes across as a rant, it's simply that I noticed time and time again that if Britain is playing an international football tournament final or Wimbledon final and then does not win, no mentions are made of the game in question in the front page news at all, almost to completely degrade the British player or team who dared inflicting the loss.

It is the pression to deliver for the nation. And the nation wants the win or else. Oblivion for the player and collective feelings of bitterness.

I wish there was a different attitude towards sport in Britain. I wish there was less of a sense of entitlement for the Nation to win regardless of the objective circumstances and the pressure to deliver for the nation that is systematically heaped on the shoulders of the players. I yearn to see more of a sense of human compassion for the losing side and instead reserve the ruthlessness for a constructive self-analysis and implementation of the winning plan.

I for one want to break the silence today and say:

"Andy Murray, you brave Scot, my thoughts and admiration are with you. You have come a long way. You have now the right coach, you have shown you are a solid contender. With more experience playing at the level you have been leading up to this grand slam final you may see the day that you will lift that Wimbledon title.

But for now your best is very good and you have chances at the Olympic games. Keep up the good work and good luck to you"

OK guys, can I challenge you now to break the silence and give it up to Andy Murray!!

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

"Andy Murray, you brave Scot, my thoughts and admiration are with you. You have come a long way. You have now the right coach, you have shown you are a solid contender. With more experience playing at the level you have been leading up to this grand slam final you may see the day that you will lift that Wimbledon title.

But for now your best is very good and you have chances at the Olympic games. Keep up the good work and good luck to you"

OK guys, can I challenge you now to break the silence and give it up to Andy Murray!!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

We stayed up last night to watch it. I so hoped he could win, for himself as well as the rest of us. He played a great match against Fed, he gave it his all, and he has shown how much he has improved under Lendl. I am a sad Scot this morning (was a blubbering one after the match last night when the poor guy broke down) but more than that I am a proud Scot. Stay strong Andy, your time will come!

I dont know where you have been looking but its on the front page of every newspaper and news sites (including the bbc)??

Guest Sachertorte

It was the BBC news I was talking about- the feature is not in the headline news there, only in the sport section as if it was a minor event. I was not including tabloids in general (who are interested more in who was wearing what etc than Andy himself)

Anyway, could you also contribute a word of encouragement for Andy Murray?

It was the BBC news I was talking about- the feature is not in the headline news there, only in the sport section as if it was a minor event. I was not including tabloids in general (who are interested more in who was wearing what etc than Andy himself)

Anyway, could you also contribute a word of encouragement for Andy Murray?

Its on the front page of newsthe very first article, the headline? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk/

I hate tennis, but good luck to him, good acheivement to reach any sporting final.

Edited by mydearboy

I logged onto a few British newspapers the other day to see what they had to say about Wiggins getting the yellow jersey in the TdF, and Froome winning the stage - had to really search to find anything about it (was finally hidden somewhere on the "Other Sports" page!) so I think it's just if it's not football, it doesn't count!

Guest ali

I've been a Roger Federer fan for a long time now. Before Roger I was rooting for Boris Becker. Yesterday I really wanted Andy to win. Not that I was disappointed but I have to give it to the guy, a few years ago I would've never thought that he would make it this far. He's been working hard and getting better and better. When someone try their best you have to give them an standing ovation and not only in sports.

Andy Murray, you are young, talented, powerful and have a long road ahead of you. You will win Wimbledon and mark my words on this mate.:smile: