scooterdan

Adelaide/Singpaore Wireless

Hey Chaps!

Didnt quite know where to put this....!! Here goes...

We have had our laptop upgraded with a wireless card etc and was wondering how easy it is to connect in Adelaide wifi spots and Singapore airport?

I have connected to MIL router....but couldnt get on the web as it kept trying to dial our default wired connection....when i disabled that, it just said i was offline....do i have to change anything else in my settings to access from a public place?

Just makin sure...so when i get to Singapore and get out my laptop i dont look a complete idiot....!!!

Cheers

Dan and Steph

And the title is supposed to be Singapore...before someone notices!!!

Dan,

I think from memory you have to go and set the wireless card as your default connection. Also Go to control panel, internet options and click item where it says "never dial a connection" I think all that is happening is that your pc is looking for a dial up connection and as you disabled it it cant find so says u off line.

Hope i got it right but im sure another clever person will know for sure when im wrong

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Dan & Steph,

Not long to go now.

We have just returned from our recci and took the lap top with us. I tried to connect in Singapore Airport but it was a waste of time, anyway you can use the free PC's with Internet connection dotted around the airport.

Once we were in Adelaide we thought we had free Internet access in the hotel but this was simply a connection and we had to buy credit for access via a card from the Telstra phone shop. You need to buy a "Phoneaway" card and then when you are in range of a Telstra hotspot you could connect at 25cents connection fee and 25cents per min which was taken from the credit on the card.

We found the best way was to join a library and this gave you free access for one hour per day on their terminals or eight hours if you took your own Lap Top in with you. All you needed to join was proof of address, we used the letters we got when we opened our accounts from West Pac bank and this was good enough.

www.telstra.com

http://www.telstra.com.au/wirelesshotspots/help.htm

http://www.telstra.com.au/wirelesshotspots/pricing.htm

Hope this helps and good luck with everything.

Martin and Val 11_9_10.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNxdm824YYGB

Guest dglamoore

We used wifi too in Singapore as they had a connection in our hotel room and when we got here it was invaluable.

If you join your local library when you arrive in Adelaide the larger ones offer 8 hours a day free wifi access. :jiggy:Just take your laptop along and they will sort you a password. Then just find a comfy seat, log in and go!!

Lisa:cute:

Hey!

Will give it a go.... Our laptop is a bit crappy but will have to do till we get another over there!! Saw the post in 'sales' bout them laptops from Likes Shopping and sent a PM, but havent heard back yet!!!

Cheers all for your help...more ??? to come yet!

Dan and Steph