Guest sherbear320

What do I need to be a science teacher?

Guest sherbear320

Hi,

I have a degree i computer science and a PGCE Secondary Ed, I know that Comp Science isn't a particularly popular subject out there!!

I've been doing a degree in Science mainly for fun but hubby and I are considering moving to Adelaide, I've finished the first year doing maths and general science and have signed up to do 60 points of physics at level 2 and 30 points of electronics at level 3!!

Do I need to complete the full degree to qual as a science teacher?

Thanks

Sherbear

Hi,

I have a degree i computer science and a PGCE Secondary Ed, I know that Comp Science isn't a particularly popular subject out there!!

I've been doing a degree in Science mainly for fun but hubby and I are considering moving to Adelaide, I've finished the first year doing maths and general science and have signed up to do 60 points of physics at level 2 and 30 points of electronics at level 3!!

Thanks

Sherbear

Are currently teaching? If yes, then I would think that as long as you know the subject, you should be ok. The ability to teach year 11 and 12 science is preferably, particularly physics.

Cheers,

Cooler

Guest Helchops

It's usually the PGCE that matters - if you had a PGCE as a Science Teacher, you might have been OK - but there would still be two caveats:

1) PGCE providers want your degree to be related to your subject

2) The AITSL (Teacher Skill Assessor in Australia) want your degree and PGCE to be in a related subject.

So, I would say that yes, you would need the full degree. I'm not sure whether you would need another PGCE in science though, or whether your existing one would be ok...I suspect the latter but maybe someone else can clarify.

Guest sherbear320
    It's usually the PGCE that matters - if you had a PGCE as a Science Teacher, you might have been OK - but there would still be two caveats:

1) PGCE providers want your degree to be related to your subject

2) The AITSL (Teacher Skill Assessor in Australia) want your degree and PGCE to be in a related subject.

So, I would say that yes, you would need the full degree. I'm not sure whether you would need another PGCE in science though, or whether your existing one would be ok...I suspect the latter but maybe someone else can clarify.

I know exiting PGCE is OK, I was hoping their submajor route would be OK, four units at level 2 and above like Victoria, but I guess this is only true if part of your first degree, preferably with one at level 3! Umm put plans back will prob be right on age border, oh and hello fellow Cannocker!!!

Guest Adelaide_bound

As far as I am aware, the fact you have a PGCE means you can teach anything in SA, much like in the UK - with Science being a shortage subject and science teachers harder to get (from what I have heard) the fact you don't have teaching experience in that subject shouldn't matter too much.

Its NSW where you can only teach what you have a degree in - SA is less fussy (and realises that we can multi-task lol).

Give the SA TRB a call/email to double check, but they told me I could teach whatever I wanted, with a degree in Business Studies and a PGCE in ICT Secondary as I want to teach either Primary or SEN again. I had no issues getting positive skills assessment or SA sponsorship (as a secondary STEM teacher - ICT counts under tech) last year.

Guest sherbear320
    As far as I am aware, the fact you have a PGCE means you can teach anything in SA, much like in the UK - with Science being a shortage subject and science teachers harder to get (from what I have heard) the fact you don't have teaching experience in that subject shouldn't matter too much.

Its NSW where you can only teach what you have a degree in - SA is less fussy (and realises that we can multi-task lol).

Give the SA TRB a call/email to double check, but they told me I could teach whatever I wanted, with a degree in Business Studies and a PGCE in ICT Secondary as I want to teach either Primary or SEN again. I had no issues getting positive skills assessment or SA sponsorship (as a secondary STEM teacher - ICT counts under tech) last year.

Thanks for that info, I've dropped SA TRB an email, is there much call for ICT, lots of people say no. I need the sponsorship points and Tech has just been yanked from the list, so I need the Physics route now though I love comp science (network engineering) used to teach it at Uni. Good luck

Sherry

Guest lyn
    Hi,

Thanks

Sherbear

If you have already completed a 3 year degree plus a 1 year PGCE then you should be fine. The TRB specify that you need to have done 4 years to qualify so either a 4 year BEd or a 3 Year BA/BSc plus a 1 year PGCE. They're not bothered about the subject that your degree is in.

Good luck with it all.

Lyn x

Guest sherbear320
    If you have already completed a 3 year degree plus a 1 year PGCE then you should be fine. The TRB specify that you need to have done 4 years to qualify so either a 4 year BEd or a 3 Year BA/BSc plus a 1 year PGCE. They're not bothered about the subject that your degree is in.

Good luck with it all.

Lyn x

Oh that's good, thank you for the help. We want to wait a year before applying to let hubby finish doing a Dip HE he's a purchasing manager and just wants to get a proper qual under his belt before we make the big jump!!

I wanna teach outside of Adelaide down the coast or in the country, is it difficult to get these types of posts, when I read stuff about NT it said you could teach more than one thing/get a more diverse role if you went out of the city and that's what I'd love!

Sherry