Guest reevendeb

car plants

Guest reevendeb

does anybody living in adelaiade know the location of the car plants there.

ive heard that gm holden have a plant there and mitsibushu also, but im not sure if they are in adelaide or some where else in s.a. any pointers appreciated people.

Guest Rob and Clare

Holden have a huge plant in Elizabeth, Mitsubishi has a plant in Tonsley to the south of the city, but it is actually due to close in 4 weeks...

Guest reevendeb

thanks for that rob and clare, is elizibeth far from adelaide?.. ive also heard that its not such a desireable place to live, :err:

Guest barmyarmy

if as said the car plant is closing will this not be a massive blow to adelaides economy ,as i live in sunderland we have nissan here n if that closed it would be a massive blow with the knock on effect to supply buissnesses in area down to local trade etc, wondering if same applies to adelaide:huh:

Guest Rob and Clare

Elizabeth is just north of adeaide, maybe 25 - 30 mins by car... I think Elizabeth got a reputation from the 10 pound poms in the 60's... You know what it's like, lot's of foreigners turn up, the locals get angry, the foreigners fought back, and so began the elizabeth reputation, all because of the poms... I think it is the worst area for crime in adelaide according to the stats, but still possibly better than most of the better uk suburbs. I've got a few friends there and to be honest the shopping centre and bars are no better or no worse than any of the other outer suburbs. But even if your still not keen, then gawler, mawson lakes, golden grove, salisbury heights are all within 15 mins drive and are popular areas, or largs bay down to west lakes are beach areas still within 30 mins...

Guest Rob and Clare
    if as said the car plant is closing will this not be a massive blow to adelaides economy ,as i live in sunderland we have nissan here n if that closed it would be a massive blow with the knock on effect to supply buissnesses in area down to local trade etc, wondering if same applies to adelaide:huh:

It is a blow, but it's been closing for a long time, only employing 900 people now, a long way down from it's hay day of 2 - 3000. Holden is the major employer and with all the local firms it probably employs tens of thousands.... The other car companies are Ford (in geelong) and toyota in melbourne. Adelaide is building a larger reputation as a defence city these days, and although it doesn't help us until after citizenship (unless there are special circumstances) but there are massive long term defence contracts being won by companies in Adelaide... and of course there is a mining boom.....

Guest bridges
    does anybody living in adelaiade know the location of the car plants there.

ive heard that gm holden have a plant there and mitsibushu also, but im not sure if they are in adelaide or some where else in s.a. any pointers appreciated people.

hya the mitsibushu factory has shut down 6months but the holden factory is in the north in muna para suburb we drove round it it is massive basically vauxhalls is holden just a diffrent badge i.e the holden commodore is the vauxhall omega

i have worked in the car industry in the past, for a major supplier of seating to honda and also have worked on the production line at aston martin . does anyone know how difficult it is to get jobs at the car plants i.e. do you have to know someone that works there! also if anyone knows whether they employ people on 457 visas it would be a great help