Sign in to follow this  
Guest maxxangel

Gawler

Guest maxxangel

Can anyone tell me anything about Gawler? I gather it is a fairly old town, which appeals. Is it in the Barossa Valley or just on the edge?

Cara

Just on the edge. It's total hicks-ville and tiny but I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. I heat it's fairly happening on the weekend nights...well, as happening as boopity-bop-ville can get;)

Guest Libby1971

We were very interested in this area...

There is a school up there, Trinity College or something like it, which is very well thought of.

We drove through it on our way home after a trip to the Barossa. One of the things I liked about it was the shopping area which looked like a UK style High Street. As suzer said, it is smaller. It is also quite a way out from the city but it depends on if you are looking for work on that side of the city or not.

Libby

Guest salisbury massive

Gawler is lovely, its got an old town feel about it and a meandering high street you drive through with shops on either side. The Gawler Show is on once a year just before the Adelaide Show, its a big do for Gawler. http://www.gawlershow.org.au/ There is a train station that will take you direct to the City, probably about 30 minutes train ride.

Property is relatively inexpensive because of the distance to the City but you could drive to the city in about 50 minutes I reckon. There are lots of houses with plenty of land if you like that sort of thing and some of the views are fantastic. You also have much closer access to the lovely Adelaide Hills, Barossa Valley and the wineries. Here is site about the town

http://www.gawler.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=219

Trinity College is an excellent school http://www.trinity.sa.edu.au/ very well recommended, I know a few people who travel quite a long way to take their kids there.

Maybe the only downside is its a bit small town ish, everybody knows everybody and if you don't like that it could be a problem.

Jo

Guest Rob and Clare

There is a massive new estate near Gawler called Hewitt, got some friends up there and it's really nice, right on the doorstep of the barrossa with all the fantastic towns like Tanunda and Lyndoch, and if you like beaches, probably only an hour away from the york peninsula, apparently the beaches there are better than adelaides, can't say as we haven't been, but a lot of friends have shacks up that way.

The only down side is the distance from the city, but with a direct train to the city and in fairness as Jo says, it's only 50 mins drive away, and let's be honest lots of people on this site live nearly as far from the city whether to the north, east or south and are perfectly happy.

Guest maxxangel

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and information on Gawler. I have to admit it sounds appealing. We aren't really city people and prefer small towns and villages.