Anyone know a Pom Dentist in Southern suburbs??

Guest BAZnDAF

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi,

After several costly visits to the dentist and still unresolved dental issues, can anyone advise if there are any British Dentists in the Morphett Vale area/southern suburbs where my husband can finally get his teeth sorted properly? Can't help thinking would have been cheaper to book a flight back to Blighty to visit our old dentist:arghh:

Guest jorose

I don't know of any British dentists in the Southern Suburbs. However, I do work within the public dental sector and work with various non British dentists whom I would without doubt trust to attend to my dental needs accordingly. It's perhaps unfortunate that you feel that you have unresolved issues/dental needs but I feel it's unlikely to be the result of a nationality. Ask for word of mouth recommendations regarding dentists in general from friends/colleagues. I personally attend a private practice in Hallet Cove and been suitably impressed with my Aussie dentist. Hope that helps.

Edited by jorose

Guest Pam777

I am the manager at Southside Dental Options in Morphett Vale. the dentists are not from england but they are good and honest dentists. the treatment that you receive in Australia might be more expensive but is (in my opinion) better as it is not restricted to what you are allowed to do on the NHS. the old age saying is ' you get what you pay for'

I go to Michael OLeary he is british and is at Kissable dentist aldinga shopping centre, he is great !!

you MUST of course get extras cover first !!

I haven't come across a dentist that won't treat you without extras cover yet. Out of interest, is there any reason he won't treat you unless you have private insurance? Glad mine is happy for me to pay full price as I don't have any insurance or extras.

I am the manager at Southside Dental Options in Morphett Vale. the dentists are not from england but they are good and honest dentists. the treatment that you receive in Australia might be more expensive but is (in my opinion) better as it is not restricted to what you are allowed to do on the NHS. the old age saying is ' you get what you pay for'

Sorry, but that's cobblers. Tons of dentists in the UK that do work other than NHS.

Jim

Sorry, but that's cobblers. Tons of dentists in the UK that do work other than NHS.

Jim

Oh dear sorry, my brief and vague typings have caused such confusion !!!

what I mean by you MUST get extras cover first is that it is so expensive if you don't.

I need a root canal and cap to a molar.

The full price is $2350.00

I am getting this work done over 4 appointments, which will also take me over the new January "year" for the maxium of $1000 per year for my cover.

I will only be paying about $400 of that figure due to the extras cover we have.

The extras for the 2 of us costs us $80 per month and we both get 2 pairs of glasses every year free of charge from spec savers on that, hubby goes to chiros every couple weeks. I have had some dental work and more to come...so I am very happy with it !!

I wouldn't like to be paying all that out for one tooth !!

Guest monkey-74

I use the hallet cove practice they were fantastic and the practice manager is a Brit if that helps ease your mind. She's called Liz and will look after you.

Guest moonraker1959

So what exactly is it that NHS dentists don't do that other dentists do?lol I've had fillings,root canal,and a crown all under an NHS dentists.I have a fantastic dentist too and very cheap.

Guest Pam777
Sorry, but that's cobblers. Tons of dentists in the UK that do work other than NHS

I am quite aware that there are others dentists available but are the private dentists cheaper than australian dentists? the ones i worked for weren't, therefore my comment presumes that the start of this thread mentioned going back to the uk for treatment......does that mean you would travel back to the uk for treatment with a private dentist??? as you will most likely be paying the same amount.

On the question regarding the NHS, the NHS restricts dentists to the materials they are allowed to use and the price they can charge. With an NHS dentist we had to treat atleast 3 times the amount of patients as we would here (to make it financially viable to operate). In the UK (on the NHS), a filling would be done in 10 mins whereas here we allow more like 30-45 mins.

The public system here is restricted to people on low incomes.

This is obviously my opinion after working 15 years with the NHS/Private and Denplan systems and 7 years in Australia.

I have a fear of dentists no matter what nationality!! The cost is also prohibitive (and I have extras cover!). I have not been to the dentist since I have been here (nrly 4 yrs) I am ashamed to say. I have also felt that I cannot trust people that make such a lot of money from working in your mouth! Is there anyone on here who has regularly been to a dentist and NOT had any work done?

Ridiculous aren't I! But I really need a check up and my stupid fear and distrust is standing in my way!

Guest jorose
I have a fear of dentists no matter what nationality!! The cost is also prohibitive (and I have extras cover!). I have not been to the dentist since I have been here (nrly 4 yrs) I am ashamed to say. I have also felt that I cannot trust people that make such a lot of money from working in your mouth! Is there anyone on here who has regularly been to a dentist and NOT had any work done?

Ridiculous aren't I! But I really need a check up and my stupid fear and distrust is standing in my way!

Yes, me. I've been regularly and not needed work done.