Change of passport prior to migration

Guest ajbritton

Guest ajbritton

Hi - Does anyone know if I need to let DIAC know about the change of a child passport prior to initial entry into the country?

We are a family of 4 and got our Visa last December but aren't due to fly out until August 28th. I've renewed my son's passport as there were only a few months left on it. The passport number is now different to the number on the Visa grant notice. The grant notice mentions that any change of details needs to be reported to the processing office and mentions some specific forms.

I've found form 929 (change of address and/or passport details), but this does not really seem suitable for filling in details about a child. There is nowhere for me to sign as the parent, only a box for the 'applicant' to sign. My son is nine years old - not old enough to sign anything.

Secondly - the form mentions the need for a 'certified copy'. I've never had to do any certified copies for DIAC - they've always been quite happy with colour scans before.

Although there are still a few weeks before we fly out we will be on holiday in France from next Friday so arranging certified copies will be a little more difficult than usual.

Anyone been through this passport change thing before?

Guest vikkiann

I downloaded a form, filled it in and signed it. Then scanned it back with copes of the kids new and old passports. I received an email the following day saying the visa had been electronically linked to the kids new passports. I just travelled with their new and old passports and carried that email just in case but had no problems. If you ring Australia high commission they explain it easier than their website.

It didn't cost us anything to have the visa's electronically linked to the kids new passports

I think its if you want a paper visa in the new passport that it costs.

As all visas are electronic these days there really isn't a need to have the sticker in a PP though. Although some people have commented its helped as proof to Aus employers and the like.

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Hi there, we have been carrying our old and new passports with us. When we arrived 3 weeks ago, the border guard said we could get rid of the old ones (with the paper visa in them) because the new ones have them electronically tagged, but medicare told us today that they can't read the chips, so needed our old passports with the paper version. Good job we kept them really! I'd definitely keep hold of them, you never know if you may need them or not! Hope this helps! Chris x

• 1 month later...
Guest ajbritton

In the end, I emailed my migration case agent at Immigration South Australia. She asked for a scan of the new passport which I provided. I got an email back the same day to say that the details had been updated on the electronic system. No problem.

Thanks for the advice everyone.