Guest jodie

Looking for new friends in Adelaide

Guest jodie

Hey there, i am 19 and coming out to Adelaide in September/October, hopefully moving out there soon. I am a lesbian and a bit worried about being accepted in the gay scene out there. Does anyone know anything about the gay scene out there or how i could meet friends?

Jodie

Guest bigal

Hi Jodie, I don't know anything about the gay scene here in Adelaide,but there is a club in the city called The Mars Bar which is known as a "gay" bar.

Hey Jodie. There's not a huge scene in Adelaide in terms of actual gay bars, but there are 2 regular girls nights - look up Girlfeast and GLicious - Girlfeast is run by a company called Temptress products. I think they each run every Friday fortnightly, so there are 2 regular nights a month. Girlfeast is a slightly older crowd but they're similar nights. Both have facebook pages. Mars Bar is the only gay club as such in the city, it's mixed and very large and dancey. Lots more gay guys and straight women on hen's nights, but that's just my opinion. It's a love it or hate it kind of place.

GaydarGirls isn't used much here - lots more people online on Pink Sofa. Feast is the gay pride festival in November - it runs for 2 weeks, the main 2 events are Pride on the opening night (Saturday) with a march then after party in the CBD - teeny tiny compared to London! In fact, microscopic compared to London, Brighton etc! Then there are lots of cultural, club nights, comedy, exhibitions and other events through the two weeks, ending in Picnic which is a big community picnic in a park in the CBD on the last weekend of Feast. If you jump on the Feast website and Facebook you'll get all the updates.

There is a regular running group just starting up on Sunday mornings along the Torrens for walkers/runners - called Adelaide Frontrunners and a few coffee type groups - I know of a couple in Semaphore (northern beach suburb) and in Gawler (northern northern suburbs/southern Barossa Valley area) and sure there are more around.

There's a free gay publication called Blaze that's distributed around cafes, newsagents etc and also has a website.

There are no dedicated gay pubs in Adelaide that I know of, but a few that are more gay friendly include the Wheatsheaf in Thebarton - lots of girls hang out there. It's a lovely pub with local beers, wines, no pokies, no flatscreens, good live music, very friendly, community vibe, run by 2 female couples. Just outside the city. Also check out the Ed Castle pub in the city - used to do dedicated gay nights for pre- mars drinks, but no longer, but still friendly and does very occasional gay events.

I've found the gay scene in Adelaide pretty friendly - it's also the kind of place where everyone knows everyone - which can be a good and a bad thing. It's frustrating sometimes that there are no actual gay bars to hang out in, and sometimes it feels a bit 'where is everyone' - you see thousands of girls at events like Picnic, then wonder where they go the rest of the year?!

Right now we're clearly all hibernating at home, watching Lip Service with our cats ;)

Feel free to send me a message for any more info.

Cheers, STP x

PS a few other gay run/gay friendly places I like include Zest Cafe Gallery in Glenelg (also does best brunch in Adelaide!), Bliss vegan cafe on Compton St, just off Gouger St, near the Central Markets, Metropolitan Hotel in the city, and sure there are lots more but clearly I am old and boring and can't think of any!