Learning to drive in Adelaide

IrishStew

so I'm irishstews daughter (hi there!!!) and I'm sixteen and am sorta havin some questions bout learning to drive in Adelaide...:err:

1 If I apply for my provisional straight away when we get out there how many months will it take for me to get it?

2 Can I take my test as soon as turn seventeen or do I still have to learn for a year?

3 Are the tests (theory and practical) harder in Adelaide than here in uk?

4 Would I be wise waiting until I'm used to the system before I do my test cuz I've heard Adelaide is pretty mental for driving!

5 Do I have to have an over 25 with me while I'm learnin etc?

6 How much do driving lessons cost?

7 Is insurance for my age group as expensive as uk?

Any answers would be appreciated! Ta in advance!

Irishstew junior!!!!! :cute:

Hi Irishstew's daughter

My daughter is 17 and has just got her Ps over here. They are constantly talking of changing the rules here but at the moment ...

At 16 you can go to a Vehicle Licensing Centre and get your Ls. My daughter did this on her 16th birthday. You don't have to book, but you do have to do a theory test. You have to answer 8 give way questions and get them all right, then you have to get 80% of the rest of the questions right. You can practice the types of questions you get n the RAA site http://www.raa.com.au/page.aspx?TerID=192&?TerID=1196

You have to pay for this, and if you pass you then get your pic taken and you will be posted your learner's license. They give you a paper copy to cover you while you wait for the license to come in the post.

You then have to do at least 75 hours logged driving practice, including some hours at night. This can be with family, or someone who has held their license for at least two years (after Ls, you go onto P1s for one year and then P2s for one year, so the supervising driver has to hold a full, non-P license), or an instructor. Lessons cost minimum $1 per minute - usual is $60 for an hour or $90 for an hour and a half, but it does very upwards of that.

The major difference from UK is that you can learn on an automatic (in fact it is hard to find an instructor who teaches on a manual) but still get a full license at the end permitting youi to drive either type of car!

You have to be on your Ls at least a year, but after that and when you have done your logged hours, you can either take a test (a VORT vehicle on the road test) or go the Logbook Method, where you get tasks ticked off in your log book by a qualified instructor and when they are all ticked off, you can get your Ps (this is what my daughter did). The test costs more money. The log book method also costs extra money for the 'pass' certficate at the end. When you take your pass certificate into the licensing office, it costs more money again for your Provisional License!

Insurance is quite expensive, but not compulsory as the rego (which is compulsory) includes very basic insurance cover. If youi get insurance in your own name it costs lots as a young person, if you get put on as a named driver, it also costs lots, some insurance companies recommend not being a named driver, but if you have an accident whilst driving and the car is insured in your parent's name, the insurance company will charge a very large excess - so some people prefer to put say $2,000 aside to cover this excess and not be a specifically named driver on the insurance.

The driving here is not much harder than the UK, but the other drivers are a bit scary! Roads are generally nice and wide though!

Another point of top of Diane's really thorough replies. When you go to move from your P 1's (have to display P plates at all times) to P 2's - only difference is that you don't have to display P plates - you also have to complete a hazard awareness test. This is completed on a computer at the same locations as you go to to take L's etc and involves a test of reaction skills and awareness. And also if you have had any speeding fines etc I think you have to wait longer - hence the reason you often see 20+ yr olds still driving on their P plates. Finally you have to be on your P 2's for at least 6mths (i think - daughter is currently on P 2's and can move to full licence in 8 days!!) before you can move to your full licence and you cannot get your full licence until you are at least 19. All the time on P's, as Diane has said, there is a strict zero alcohol limit and I believe if you get caught with alcohol in you system that it's back to L's (but don't quote me on that!!)

Good luck and safe driving!! :cool:

Another point of top of Diane's really thorough replies. When you go to move from your P 1's (have to display P plates at all times) to P 2's - only difference is that you don't have to display P plates - you also have to complete a hazard awareness test. This is completed on a computer at the same locations as you go to to take L's etc and involves a test of reaction skills and awareness. And also if you have had any speeding fines etc I think you have to wait longer - hence the reason you often see 20+ yr olds still driving on their P plates. Finally you have to be on your P 2's for at least 6mths (i think - daughter is currently on P 2's and can move to full licence in 8 days!!) before you can move to your full licence and you cannot get your full licence until you are at least 19. All the time on P's, as Diane has said, there is a strict zero alcohol limit and I believe if you get caught with alcohol in you system that it's back to L's (but don't quote me on that!!)

Good luck and safe driving!! :cool:

Yes, your right Sally about being on P 1's longer with fines etc...That happened to Hannah, think she had another 6 mnths added.

Abbie has her final drive this weekend, so not long till another one on the road!!! Scary stuff!