Unlocked phone problems!!!

Guest hobbsy555

Guest hobbsy555

:arghh: I have an unlocked Motorola Defy which I used to use on the Orange network in the UK. We have purchased crazy johns phones for the free texts and calls to each other, and a sim card for my Defy. The problem is I cannot get any signal ( 'no service' message displayed on phone) on my UK phone.

Have tried an Aus virgin sim from another phone and it worked OK. Have also tried old o2 sim from UK and it worked so I am sure the phone isn't locked.

Is there a problem with compatibility with some local network providers and UK phones??

Any answers would be greatly appreciated as I am the only family member without a working phone at the moment.

Cheers, Bruce.

It's most likely been set to use a specific frequency instead of being able to pick the one that the sim wants. If this is the case it's an option in the settings somewhere.

For 3G use though I think the phones were "hardwired" to allow a limited choice depending on the area of the world they were originally destined for so even if you get phone coverage you might still find you have no 3G availability.