Misplaced

Novice Flyers advice please

Hi all,

We are very novice flyers and would like advice from you more experienced flyers.

And to get the ball rolling I have a few questions:-

Can you take a shaver(razor) on the plane?

What do you find useful to take on the plane?

Any advice very welcome.

Cheers,

Misplaced

Guest Guest5035

travel very comfortable, no restrictive clothing, high heels etc etc,minimum hand luggage, change of clothing just in case you cut yourself using the razor which will be ok unless its a knife type. Drink plenty of water, walk around the plane ever hour or when you are awake, which will be most of the time, the most useful think to take on a plane would be the passport, you'll be right. Perhaps a shower in Singas or wherever you stop to refreshen helps aswell.

stevo

Hi Misplaced, sorry to read thread on your house not selling, what a major pain. As to flying, we take a bag of boiled sweets to suck on take offs, its an easy way to equalize your ears to cabin pressure. Agree with everything said above by lynsteve. We always take our shoes off on longhaul flights as well, felt although feet swell slightly, could be our imagination, but find it far more relaxing. Just remember to put them back on when you go to use the loo (floor can be a little damp), paddling is lovely but save it for the Aussie beaches. We've also got into the habit of taking a mini deck of cards, can only watch so many films. Thats all I can think of at mo, other than look out of the window a lot during daytime, it's not every day you get to see the world from above. Makes you realise what a truly amazing achievement aircraft are. Oh and if someone who looks scared runs past you with a parachute, mug em.

Edited by keldaz
    Bibble

The airlines usually have some quite comprehensive guidance on their websites about what you can and cannot take on the plane. Read this carefully and then you are in no danger of being caught out. Any liquids have to be in containers of less than 100mls and they have to be in a clear plastic bag in order to go through security. It's much easier if you get this sorted before you leave and have the bag(s) handy in your hand luggage. Also make sure you read about what you have to take out of your pockets and bags before going through security and make sure you do it. I've seen numerous people sent back through and /or searched because they have left things in their pockets.

Note, you can take empty bottles of any size through security which can be useful for filling with water for in the airport and on the flight, but take them out of your bags before going through security or they will want to check your bag. Also, you have to go through security at the gate in Singspore so make sure you empty any water bottles before going through or you will have them taken off you.

Other than that I'd second Stevo's advice about drinking plenty of water and moving around. Also check out the inflight entertainment.

Nicola

Guest JayandEm

Don't buy any duty free alcohol at heathrow as you'll not be able to board with it at Singapore but you can buy it at Singapore airport. At least that was the case when we flew out a year or so ago x

Guest ali

This is how I usually fly:

-I wear comfortable clothing

-Chew on a chewing gum (prior to take-off)

-Because I'm a little bigger than average (187 cm's tall - 95+ kg) I usually book a window seat as its very hard for me to sit in the middle or the aisle seat as people walk and they hit always hit my arm or shoulder!

-like said above I take a playing deck with me

- I read a book (if I'm not watching a movie or not sleeping)

-stretch out my legs a lot

-I don't drink wine while flying ( somehow it drops my blood pressure and I feel nauseated) but I do drink whiskey and beer, helps me sleep

-sometimes I go for a walk

That's all for now.

Enjoy the flight and have a safe trip.:smile:

Cheers,

Ali

Wear comfy non tight fitting clothes, layer up so you can take them off and put them on as you need. Don't wear tight fitting shoes, go for ones you can kick on and off and scrunch your toes up in and so on. I tend to wear slip on mules for the flight itself and carry a pair of flip flops or something in my bag.

Don't take any liquids of over 100ml through security. It will only get taken off you. This includes things like creams, lotions and even stuff like Sudocrem (many a mum has been caught out by this). Unless you have a prescription for it, you will lose it. Pack all the big bottles in checked luggage and take a few mini bottles for hand luggage. Don't forget you can always buy a bottle of water once you've cleared security. And other stuff.

Take some snacks in wrappers. Always handy.

If flying via Singapore have a shower while waiting for the next flight. Rainforest Lounge is fab, towel and hairdryer etc included in the price. Lots of computers and free internet around also.

Make sure you do some leg exercises while sitting and get up and walk about plenty.

We always get a night flight so can pass a big chunk of the first long leg away snoozing. I get bored senseless flying long haul in daylight hours from departure. Have a good books to hand either way.

I travel in thongs cos they're easy to kick on and off - or uggies if you're my son :rolleyes:

I drink only water as alcohol apparently, and disappointingly, dehydrates. My OH drinks plentiful amounts of both lol.

I periodically spray my skin with a moisturising spray (not tested on animals, obv) and take my contact lenses out or I sometimes just use saline drops to moisturise them. I use hand lotion too, just because I can.

We all try to stay awake/sleep according to the time zone we are in, aiming for the final time zone. Three of us are fine with this and we've never really suffered with jet lag. My son uses Melantonin tabs to encourage sleep; they seem to help. When we reach our destination we move heaven and earth to hit the ground running and sleep only when it's, at least approaching, night.

I also make sure I have extra layers so I can rug up when the temp falls on the plane. Could be I'm just a bit of a princess but I hate being cold.:sad:

We also pack a deck of cards and when the kids were younger, we used to take question cards (sounds waaay more boring than it was!) as well as a couple of books, fav teddies, paper etc.

You sound really excited, Misplaced! It's really lovely :wubclub:,

LC

Thanks for all the advice it really is very helpful to us novices.

I have another couple of questions to which answers would be very grateful.

As we have not had much time to exchange our money - I am currently trying to find out if we can activate our bank account with NAB even though we have not 'officially' migrated. However, it would very useful to know what currency people take to spend on duty free?

There are other questions but I forgotten them!!!!

@Lazy Cow - yes very excited as I am going home for the first time in 34 years!!

You can use whatever usually. Depending on where you buy. I used GBP £ in Singapore and also had a few Singapore $$ for showers. They convert at the checkouts usually.

Oh! Just thought of another question:-

What are the regulations for shoes going into Australia?

You obviously have the pair you wear when boarding but but what about any you take - do they have to be spotlessly clean?

Once again thanks.

Mis

Guest Guest5035

shoes.......we don't wear shoes, well some bogans don't..

stevo

And another question!

As the kids and I have a British and Australian passport which passport do we use at Singapore? Or does it not matter?

I know when entering/leaving England we use the British one and when entering and leaving Australia we use the Australian one. But which one in Singapore?

Cheers,

Mis

And another question!

As the kids and I have a British and Australian passport which passport do we use at Singapore? Or does it not matter?

I know when entering/leaving England we use the British one and when entering and leaving Australia we use the Australian one. But which one in Singapore?

Cheers,

Mis

Have both of them to hand, its simple enough. IIRC our son used his Aus passport but they also looked at his UK one.

Oh! Just thought of another question:-

What are the regulations for shoes going into Australia?

You obviously have the pair you wear when boarding but but what about any you take - do they have to be spotlessly clean?

Once again thanks.

Mis

So long as you've not been hiking across farmland in them or something they should be fine. Just make sure no mud and stuff on them.

And another question!

Cheers,

Mis

This has got me thinking, as we have done the journey many times with our kids who have both passports, (visiting Australia when we lived in England) and to be honest I couldn't remember what we did (it was a few years ago and the older I get, the worse my memory!)

Looking at their passports (and stamps), we definately showed the Australian passports going in and out of Australia, and obviously the UK one when arriving back in England. When leaving the UK, immigration are not too bothered at looking at your passport when you leave. You don't get a stamp or anything. We had to show the kids' Australian passports at the airline's check in desk when leaving the UK, because if you only have a UK passport then it must have an Australian visa in it in order to enter Australia. Obviously if you have a valid Australian passport then you won't have a visa in your UK passport. The airline must check that you have the right passport/visa to enter the country of your destination else they won't let you on the plane.

When you leave Australia it is totally different to leaving the UK, you have to queue up at immigration and they scrutinise and stamp everything. They like to have matching 'arrived' and 'departed' stamps. I remember having to show both passports for the kids as we had put on our departure form that we were leaving Australia to continue residing in the UK and the guy wanted proof that the children had the right to live in the UK, which was fair enough. The Australian passport was the one that was stamped.

Are you having a stopover in Singapore (leaving the airport and staying in the city) or just in transit in between flights? If you are in transit then you won't go through Singapore immigration, if you are having a stopover from UK to Australia, use the Australian passport. If you are having a stopover from Australia to UK, then use the UK passport. In general show the passport of the country of your destination. Hope this hasn't confused you!

Earplugs - get some good ones and make sure they are pushed as far in as they will go! Cuts out the awful "white noise" of the plane and makes it so much easier to sleep. Managed to get some excellent ones last time we flew back from the UK, and it made such a big difference. Also don't be afraid to wonder up to the stewardess station and ask for a soft drink or a snack if you feel like it - they often have bowls of fruit and biscuits out there for passengers! Drink lots of water - flying is very dehydrating.

Just out of curiosity where about on the plane do people like to sit? Front, middle, back? Side or middle? And your reasons for sitting in those places.

Edited by Misplaced

Not right next to the loos or at the very back as seats don't recline much. Don't mind which block I'm in. I am not fussed about the window blocks or anything.

If there are 4 of you chances are you'll be in the middle block across a row but some planes may have window sections with 4 across these days I guess.

http://www.seatguru.com is good if you are able to prebook your seats

With four of us, we like the bulkhead seats as you get a bit of extra legroom - but if there are families with babies that need the bassinets you can't get them - worth asking when you check in though just in case.

As we have been on the last minute our seats are towards the rear of the plane and we are sat 2 in front 2 behind; though this might be easier for conversing.