Sign in to follow this  
Guest lizdaz

Jobs in the Adelaide

Guest lizdaz

Hello everyone,

Its great to find a forum with people in the same situation as us.We are coming over to Adelaide at the end of next month with a view to investigating the job market for Floor Finishers.I have been a floor fitter for over 21 yrs but unfortunately have no qualifications.There were no NVQs back in those heady mid 1980s days.Because of this my application for a skilled visa has been suspended by the TRA until the summer.

If anyone can help or has any useful tips about sponsorship or anything else for that matter please get in touch.Look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks Darren

welcome to PIA, sorry cant help to much on the floor laying side, but would think the work situation is positive in that trade. Someone will have more information later but wanted to wish u good luck

Guest Django

Hi Darren,

Can't help with your quandary either but just wanted to say hi. Good luck with it all and keep us upadated with how its going.

Pete

Guest stufi1997

Hi Darren, I'm a painter and dec, and like you i was time served but no qualifications ,i'm not sure of the rules now because i did my tra last year, but i had to prve my expeiance through work referances ...old employers and who i did my time with. Can't say it was'nt a lot of work and i had to write my own referances on one of them , i got my old boss to e-mail me a letter headed paper and then told him i was a wondrfull employee...he just laughed so i was lucky there. If your self employed i'm not sure , i think you need envoices and customer ref's etc ????you also have to explain your job in depth ..even the obvious bit's and all the tools in your trade. i'm not sure if you've looked into it yet so you may know all this already.i'm a different trade but i think the idea is the same for us all , i can give you my stuff if it can give you a clue ....good luck Stu.

Guest lizdaz

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the info.Most of it already known.The TRA have suspended any application that relies on experience and skill only.Dont know when this suspension will be lifted so some form of sponsorship may be our only route in.

Thanks Darren

Guest stufi1997

Aww mate that sucks, looks like you'll have to hang on till summer...but on that note ,it's not far off. As for applying for a sponsor it's worth a try .i did'nt even get a reply from anybody workwise as i think there are plenty backpackers and migrants already there...!So get the internet phone book out and start sending cv's. my mate in bristol is a mechanic and he's had three replies in a week, so just luck maybe.??? hang in there though the rules change all the time. Stu..

Guest jill wright
    Hi Darren, I'm a painter and dec, and like you i was time served but no qualifications ,i'm not sure of the rules now because i did my tra last year, but i had to prve my expeiance through work referances ...old employers and who i did my time with. Can't say it was'nt a lot of work and i had to write my own referances on one of them , i got my old boss to e-mail me a letter headed paper and then told him i was a wondrfull employee...he just laughed so i was lucky there. If your self employed i'm not sure , i think you need envoices and customer ref's etc ????you also have to explain your job in depth ..even the obvious bit's and all the tools in your trade. i'm not sure if you've looked into it yet so you may know all this already.i'm a different trade but i think the idea is the same for us all , i can give you my stuff if it can give you a clue ....good luck Stu.

Hi Darren

My hubby is a Baker and had tra done couple of years ago. I know its a different trade all together but remember filling in the application and as well as a reference(worked same place 18 yrs) like the above quote had to explain his job in depth a bit like telling a child. He had no formal applications but passed tra and got state sponsorship,now on with visa

Good luck!!!

The Wrights(west yorkshire)