Guest ali

Questions- Hospitality & Tourism - Certificates Required to gain employment

Guest ali

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I last started a thread. I've been browsing seek.com for jobs in Marketing, Hospitality and Tourism, Events and Media and Retail. I've been getting responses but all of them have been negative. I know that since I'm not in Adelaide in person it will be very hard to get an interview let alone gaining employment.

Most Hospitality companies that post job ads look for gamin certificates (I get the picture), RSA, RSG and last but not least food safety handling. Do you know how and when I can get these certificates, what the incurring costs are and how long it takes to get the certificates?

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

P.S. The Saffron business will be a sideshow like I promised unless it proves otherwise so I really need to find a job when I get there.

Cheers:smile:

Ali

Hi ali

Andy is a chef and he did his food safety handling thingy on line, sorry cant remember how much it cost. Don't know about the others.

think you will have better chance of getting a ob when your over here, Andy applied for loads before we got here but didn't get any.

on the plus side it got him a load of contacts when when we did arrive, he found a job pretty quick.

Hope this helps

Lisa

See my thread below for info, this Telstra broadband dongle is sooooooo slow during the day, it's just painful. This was my original thread, but was sooooo slow to edit a spelling mistake I did it again Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:arghh:

I dream of wireless landine broadband, stupid landlords, no landline phoneline to house, snivel, boo.

Edited by keldaz

Hey Ali, have no clue about working in hospitality or tourism, but have just flicked through the yellow pages and Advertiser newspaper for you.

Adelaide Hospitality and Tourism School - Fee Free Hospitality courses SIT20207 Cert II in Hospitality.

Conditions apply- visit www.skills.sa.gov.au to check eligibility.

Level 2, 97 Pirie Street, Adelaide, SA5000.

T +618 8223 1818 F +618 8223 1802 E info@ahts.sa.edu.au

Quality Training- Fee Free Hospitality Training- Cert I or II in Hospitality, Cert I includes RSA.

T +618 8223 3888 Web http://www.qualitytraining.com.au

Both ads have the banner Skills for All, funded through the Govenment of South Australia 'Skills for All' initiative.

Best I can do mate, hope that helps, Daz.

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Hi Ali,

I worked in hospitality for 4 years in the UK, mainly bar work, waiting, even done a course on all the health and safety, rules and reg (even though they are different here obviously) and even done a bit of work in the kitchen preparing food for big events and cooking during the day, as this qualification enabled me to do so.

I've been sending out resumes by email and have even popped in to a number of places to show my face and have a talk with the managers and staff.

But it sounds like they are not interested until you have the certificates.

I have found a number of sites offering courses, but here is what I have found;

The RSA website says you can print of your certificate straight away. Whether an 'official' certificate is then posted, I don't know....

http://www.olgc.sa.gov.au/splash.shtm - This site has some good information on it too!

Hope all this helps!

Chris

Guest ali
    Hi ali

Andy is a chef and he did his food safety handling thingy on line, sorry cant remember how much it cost. Don't know about the others.

think you will have better chance of getting a ob when your over here, Andy applied for loads before we got here but didn't get any.

on the plus side it got him a load of contacts when when we did arrive, he found a job pretty quick.

Hope this helps

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for helping put my mind at ease.:smile: I have been sending out lots of CV's as well. Like Andy I've been turned down. How did Andy manage to use his contacts when you arrived first? Did he call them or send them an Email saying that he had arrived in Adelaide?:smile:

And yes you have been very helpful:smile:

Thank you once again and cheers:smile:

Ali

Guest ali
    Hey Ali, have no clue about working in hospitality or tourism, but have just flicked through the yellow pages and Advertiser newspaper for you.

Adelaide Hospitality and Tourism School - Fee Free Hospitality courses SIT20207 Cert II in Hospitality.

Conditions apply- visit www.skills.sa.gov.au to check eligibility.

Level 2, 97 Pirie Street, Adelaide, SA5000.

T +618 8223 1818 F +618 8223 1802 E info@ahts.sa.edu.au

Quality Training- Fee Free Hospitality Training- Cert I or II in Hospitality, Cert I includes RSA.

T +618 8223 3888 Web www.qualitytraining.com.au

Both ads have the banner Skills for All, funded through the Govenment of South Australia 'Skills for All' initiative.

Best I can do mate, hope that helps, Daz.

Hi Keldaz,

I know where you are coming from on the slow internet. It's a bugger isn't it? I should really look into the internet providers in SA and choose one that walks the walk.:wink:

Thank you for the very useful information and for taking the time to look at the yellow pages. I hope that someday I'll be able to return the favor.:smile:

I will have to check them out later tonight as right now I'm studying for my driver's license exam today. :smile: I feel much closer to Adelaide right now than I've ever been. Taking classes should make it all much more real:smile:

Thank you again Daz:smile:

Guest ali
    Hi Ali,

I worked in hospitality for 4 years in the UK, mainly bar work, waiting, even done a course on all the health and safety, rules and reg (even though they are different here obviously) and even done a bit of work in the kitchen preparing food for big events and cooking during the day, as this qualification enabled me to do so.

I've been sending out resumes by email and have even popped in to a number of places to show my face and have a talk with the managers and staff.

But it sounds like they are not interested until you have the certificates.

I have found a number of sites offering courses, but here is what I have found;

The RSA website says you can print of your certificate straight away. Whether an 'official' certificate is then posted, I don't know....

http://www.olgc.sa.gov.au/splash.shtm - This site has some good information on it too!

Hope all this helps!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have a BA in Hotel and Hospitality Management from the UK (2002). I worked a couple of years at a high-end restaurant in Tehran, waiting the tables, supervising and then moved on to become the assistant manager. Then ran a catering project in a seismic camp (oil) for a year and a half. For the past 7 years I've been a marketing manager for a company focused on international conferences and corporate events. I've helped with the training of the staff, writing menus and with the start-up of some small restaurants as well (part time). But like you said, rules and regulations differ from country to country. So this is a weakness I will have to address preferably prior to my move.

How are you managing right now? Is it hard getting a job in the hospitality scene out there? I prefer the events sector as I'm an outgoing person with lots of energy and would prefer a hands on role. Marketing will be fine though as my imagination just won't stop taking me places.:wink:

Thank you for sharing the links. Have you tried them yourself?:smile:

Cheers and thank you once again:smile:

Ali

Guest ali

Chris and Keldaz,

Thanks a bunch guys. The information you've given me is spot on!:smile:

And there are so many courses, pooh I'm excited now:biglaugh:

Ali

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Hi Ali,

I haven't done any of the certificates yet, although if a few more weeks pass by without work, I will definitely go for it!

I've also been told a lot that because it's winter here at the moment, not many employers within the hospitality industry are looking for new staff, and they have all told me it'll pick up within the next few months! However there seems to be lots more jobs here in the winter than there was in the UK summer, so doesn't that say something lol!

Your degree will definitely help along with your experience! I'm sure you'd find something within no time!

Good luck for when you do arrive!

Chris

Hi Ali

He sent them an email telling them when he was due to arrive and ask if he could get in touch when he came. When we got here he spent some time going to different places and dropping in his resume and got in touch with sone that he had applied to for a job.

Lisa

Guest ali
    Hi Ali,

I haven't done any of the certificates yet, although if a few more weeks pass by without work, I will definitely go for it!

I've also been told a lot that because it's winter here at the moment, not many employers within the hospitality industry are looking for new staff, and they have all told me it'll pick up within the next few months! However there seems to be lots more jobs here in the winter than there was in the UK summer, so doesn't that say something lol!

Your degree will definitely help along with your experience! I'm sure you'd find something within no time!

Good luck for when you do arrive!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sounds heaps good! More jobs during the winter than the UK summers! Wow! That is saying something. Thank you for the encouragement and I will make sure to remember the advice you have given me. Good luck with getting the qualifications and finding a job that makes you happy.:smile:

Ali

Guest ali
    Hi Ali

He sent them an email telling them when he was due to arrive and ask if he could get in touch when he came. When we got here he spent some time going to different places and dropping in his resume and got in touch with sone that he had applied to for a job.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thank you again. What a great approach to getting a job. I've never done this before but I will definitely start creating a contact list of people who have responded (turned my application down) to get in touch with prior to the move and after I arrive. I salute you and Andy and thanks for the advice.:smile:

Ali

Chris and Keldaz,

Thanks a bunch guys. The information you've given me is spot on!:smile:

And there are so many courses, pooh I'm excited now:biglaugh:

Ali

Hi Ali,

You are most welcome. The path to Adelaide isn't completely smooth, stumbling over rocky bits is all part of the experience.

I've had a serious try at soaking up as much rain as possible for you, left house walking to local shops, lovely sunshine, half way home, bash rain arrives, soaked to skin, lol.

Really fabulous time of year on the way though, September - October the start of the good stuff. So find yourself a metal birdie soon.

Regards Daz.

Guest ali

Hi Daz,

I guess I'll be changing one summer for another! How great is that? To enjoy 13 months of sunny weather with occasional showers here and there to cool you down a bit? Can't wait mate. Getting ready, I don't mind the bumps as long as they don't mind me:wink:

Soon mate, we'll be having a few pints:smile:

Cheers,

Ali

Hey Ali,

Yes 13 months of summer sounds just the ticket. Starting to suspect OH and I have turned into reptiles. Every time we see a sunny patch, we run and stand in it to warm our blood. Very much looking forward to warmer weather. Funny really because compared to UK it's very mild here in winter. We were recently asked to show a guy around Adelaide, he had come over from England to validate his visa. He was wandering about in shorts, T-shirt and flip flops, saying how lovely it was. We were in winter wear, jumpers jackets etc.

As to the Pint situation, I'm afraid its stubbies or scooners here mate, unless you find a British pub. We've got one quite close by, but have avoided thus far on the basis it's probably full of British.

Good luck with your final hurdles.

Regards Daz.

Guest ali

Hi Daz,

I know how it feels when you move from a colder climate to a milder one. I was in Canada for a few months when I returned to London (winter time) and I felt like it was spring over there.:wink:

But I've been enjoying warm and hot weather from 5 months now and by the time next winter comes about in Adelaide I will have enjoyed 13 months of hot weather.:biggrin: I don't know if I'll ever be prepared for winter again:biglaugh:

Stubbies eh? Just googled it, didn't want to walk into a pub and immediately introduce myself as a newbie in Adelaide.:biglaugh: Ok then, we'll have a few schooners mate.

Take good care:smile:

Cheers,

Ali

Guest Jo&Phil

Currently the SA Govt funds free Certificate II qualifications under the new Skills For All initiative. This is also available for some visa holders ... see http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/about-skills-for-all

Cert III is a trade related qualification that is the industry norm in hospitality and cookery ........... but if you have managerial experience/aspirations you might consider the Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Hospitality (not free). There are lots and lots of hospitality jobs (not all are fabulously paid) and in Australia qualifications are very much sought after. Not sure when you arrive but the government trainer is TAFE ... see http://www.tafesa.edu.au/courses/hospitality-tourism Any current qualifications can be matched using the Govt's skills recognition service ... another website to browse http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/os-qual-units.htm

Bring as much evidence as you can in terms of resumes/testimonials/pictures etc of what you've done as this all helps! Best wishes for the move

Guest ali
    Currently the SA Govt funds free Certificate II qualifications under the new Skills For All initiative. This is also available for some visa holders ... see http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/about-skills-for-all

Cert III is a trade related qualification that is the industry norm in hospitality and cookery ........... but if you have managerial experience/aspirations you might consider the Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Hospitality (not free). There are lots and lots of hospitality jobs (not all are fabulously paid) and in Australia qualifications are very much sought after. Not sure when you arrive but the government trainer is TAFE ... see http://www.tafesa.edu.au/courses/hospitality-tourism Any current qualifications can be matched using the Govt's skills recognition service ... another website to browse http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/os-qual-units.htm

Bring as much evidence as you can in terms of resumes/testimonials/pictures etc of what you've done as this all helps! Best wishes for the move

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it. :smile: I'll do my best regarding evidence of experience, my resume, recommendation letter (I have been employed by one company for the past 7 years), I have found a brochure with the company logo with my name on it, a few pictures of the charity events that I've helped organize, my Bachelors degree and I think that is about it. But I'll try and do the courses online prior to my move.

I can work in marketing departments of companies as well since I have 7 years of experience there. So I'm not limiting my options to the hospitality industry as I can focus on marketing divisions in retail (don't have any experience in retail though) and events as well.

Thank you again.:smile:

Cheers,

Ali

Guest ali

Jo&Phil

I'm browsing the tafe website you gave me and there are so many possibilities. Shame I have to pay for most of the courses, but the great thing is that there are so many part-time/evening classes! It's got me all worked up and excited. I feel 18 again if you know what I mean:biglaugh:

Thank you:smile:

Guest Jo&Phil

If you are eligible for a free Cert II you will find that TAFE in Adelaide/Noarlunga includes this in the higher level qualifications which is a bit of a saving. You may also find that you can gain qualifications via recogniton of prior learning (RPL) ... but will need some evidence so bring everything you can find and perhaps have people in the UK available via email to provide supporting statements if requested. Not sure if you're in Australia yet but when you arrive, PM me here ......... I work at TAFE in this area and a big part of my job is dealing with RPL and this type of enquiry!

Guest ali
    If you are eligible for a free Cert II you will find that TAFE in Adelaide/Noarlunga includes this in the higher level qualifications which is a bit of a saving. You may also find that you can gain qualifications via recogniton of prior learning (RPL) ... but will need some evidence so bring everything you can find and perhaps have people in the UK available via email to provide supporting statements if requested. Not sure if you're in Australia yet but when you arrive, PM me here ......... I work at TAFE in this area and a big part of my job is dealing with RPL and this type of enquiry!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I will PM you after I move to Adelaide. I will have to check with Centrelink to see if I'm eligible or not as I have a 475 SS visa with a 'route' to PR.

Cheers Guys,:smile:

Ali