Tamara (Homes Down Under)

Bitterley Cold Winter = Utility Bill Blowout!

I have been here for 5 years and this is the coldest Winter so far.

My neighbour has been here for 40 years and she says it's a real shocker this year!

I keep track of my home and rental utility bills (teenagers!) and am presently running at 3 times normal usage for gas and electricity. (very little solar feed in neither!)

With the 18 % increase in electricity costs and this increased usage there are some painful bills arriving at the end of September.

Best to put a little extra away each week from now on as everyone must be in the same situation...

Tamara

Its our first winter here so no idea what our bills will be like. We don't get our solar meter fitted until the end of the month. The gas heating is nice but we're trying not to use it too much. We're certainly spending longer in bed (be pensioners gives us a good excuse not to get up too early)

Guest andylynnchriskirst

We haven't got heating in the "new" house we are renting. They are installing it in a couple of weeks, too late really, been freezing our bits off for the past month haha!

Because we are still waiting for our furniture, including two little heaters, we ended up buying one more from Bunnings, just to keep the chill out!

So I'm hoping we won't have a massive bill..... :wink:

Guest Helchops

Heat is one of those basic human comforts we can't really live without - and certainly can't live comfortably without.

I'm not even planning on reading the bill - I'll just let the leccie/gas company take what they want because there is nothing I can do about it! I'm not going to go cold!

Today's been pretty miserable, but since we've been here i've thought it's been really nice - but everyone keeps telling me that it's really cold. I think next year we may feel it once we've acclimatised!

Strange you should mention the solar feed, we have had our solar installed for 56 days and have been taking readings in the morning and at night, and we have averaged 8.62 kw per day, on a 3kw system. I sent the installer the results and he said that the system is running well and that he has noticed that this year the outputs are 25% down on normal. We are still waiting for the meter to be changed to an 'input/output' meter so have no idea how this will impact our bills all I can say is that the meter reading is lower now than it was when the system was fitted.

As for gas well we also had ducted gas installed and we are certainly using it. :biggrin: Dreading the bills.