Guest twinfamily

best public/pivate primary schools

Guest twinfamily

Hi

We're moving to Adelaide next year and looking at areas with good schools. Can anyone recommend the best private/public primary schools that follow the IB programme?

Is the catchment system similar to England?

Thanks

Jessica

Jessica,

We're not in Oz yet so I'll leave others to make recommendations. However, I have been using a few websites for research which will be a good starting point for you. You will need to have an idea which part of Adelaide you want to look at though. The first one also has zoning maps, similar to UK catchment areas.

http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/locs/

http://bettereducation.com.au/CompareSchools/primary/sa/compare_sa_primary_schools.aspx

http://www.myschool.edu.au/

TJD

By the way not all the schools are zoned.

It's a bit hard for people to say what are the best schools as most of us will only have experience of one, or possibly, two schools so you are mostly going by reputation, which may or may not be justified. It also depends on your definition of a good school - do you want one that gets good results, that provides a good all round education for your child or one that has additional support for children with learning/behaioural difficulties? The other thing of course is that everyone is going to think that the school their kids go to is the best - after all who wants to think that they are sending their kids to a school that isn't very good?

The school my kids go to is an IB school, and of course I think it is brilliant, although they have only been there two weeks. It is very international with kids from all kinds of backgrounds, has loads of facilities and is set in beautiful grounds next to a creek. Check out the links provided above to get an idea of what the schools are like in the areas you are thinking of moving to.

Guest twinfamily

I am happy to consider actual names of school as it may decide where we live!

When you say it is not zoned, what does that mean?

Also by good schools I mean high achieving schools - ie ofsted equivalent of excellent here in england?

Thanks very much

There is no equivalent of Ofsted in Australia that I am aware of. The nearest thing to the ofsted reports are the context statements prepared by the schools, but obviously they are not assessing themselves. We did look at Naplan results for year 7 and found the best results were from Glen Osmond, Norwood, Linden Park and Burnside primarys, followed by Magil and Stradbroke primarys. My kids go to Stradbroke primary, partly because we can't afford to buy in the other areas. We did look at the results for Port Noarlunga, Henley Beach and Hallett Cove South primarys but they all had lower results. There were a few other schools we looked at for comparison purposes in various areas but they all had lower results than the schools listed. It's worth noting that the best schools on our list are in expensive areas and these kinds of areas usually produce higher results in tests. They are also all in the eastern suburbs, which are not near the beach but are close to the CBD. We focused on schools in this area because that is where we wanted to live and we chose other schools in other parts of Adelaide to compare with almost at random.

Our other reason for choosing Stradbroke is it is an IB school, it has fantastic grounds, the website gave a good feel and we liked the area when we drove round it. Rostrevor is close to the hills while still being quite flat and is very green with lots of trees. It has a slightly more wild and less manicured feel to it than some of the other eastern suburbs (that a are also very green and leafy). We also liked Athlestone but it's in the zone for a not so good senior school and we can't afford private so we ruled that out.

Zoning is Australia's equivalent to catchment areas. Some schools are strictly zoned, that is they will only take children that live within the zone, or catchment area. Other schools are not zoned and will take children from anywhere. Zoned schools are often zoned because they are popular and have a limited amount of spaces. Stradbroke was always our plan A, but we went round in circles considering other potential areas to live (although never near the beach), but we kept ruling them out because they were either too expensive, too far away from the CBD where I've got most chance of getting a job, or the schools were not very good.

The links above are a good place to start investigating schools if you can narrow down the areas you would be interested in living. Good luck.

Nicola

If you choose private school, it doesn't matter where you live. IB is popular in Adelaide private schools. Most of them will be R- 12 schools, but there are a couple of Private junior schools. The private primaries are all Coed. St Andrews in Walkerville, St Peter's Woodlands in Glenelg, Annesley Junior School in Wayville, but this finishes at yr6 not 7 as the other two do. Annesley definitely follows IB curriculum.

My children went to Linden Park primary which is part of an IB cluster of schools which feed into the IB High school Glenunga. This school always offers a good solid education. Glenunga is also highly thought of, all chidren follow the IB curriculum for the first 3 yrs at high school, it also offers the Ignite class consolidating yrs 8/9 into one year. Primary schools which feed this school are Glen Osmond, Burnside, Marryatville, Magill, Parkside. Blackwood High offers IB Middle yrs and the cluster primary schools begin it. Belair, Blackwood, Coromandel Valley, Eden Hills all feed into this high school.

Guest mazcatt

Hi Jessica,

Good luck with the move! My kids both go to Annesley Junior School and I couldn't rate it highly enough. It is an IB school, and in the early learning centre (which is a long day care for children from two to five, and is open 49 weeks a year) they follow the Reggio Emilia philosophy. There is a fantastic before and after school care program onsite, if you are looking for that, and as the school has relaunched this year, it is still very small in numbers in the primary classes – another bonus. In my son's class, we have 16 students with 1.5 teachers, which is fantastic. It is a very caring school with a close-knit community. It is a private school but it is mid fee, so is more affordable than many other private schools. The fees for the early learning centre are comparable to what you'd pay in many community long daycare centres, so it makes it easy for parents to have pre-school and school children at the one site. Cheers

Guest twinfamily

Thanks for all your replies. It looks like my job will be in Salisbury which I know is not a good area. Are there any nearby suburbs (happy to commute upto 30mins to work) which have good schools?

Any idea what average daycare costs are?

Also are private schools v expensive?

Thanks!

Guest mazcatt

Hi Jessica, there is quite a range in the price of private schools - from about $3000 a year (I think) up to about $12,000 a year. I am talking private primary schools. Annesley sits in the middle of that range. Catholic schools tend to be at the cheaper end. The one thing about Adelaide is it's very easy to commute, especially if you can vary your hours slightly to be out of the peak hours.

Day care, we currently pay about $75 a day and get half back from the government as a rebate. We were at a community day care prior to Annesley and the fees were similar. I think some fees are slightly cheaper in other areas. But compared to what we used to pay in Sydney, this is awfully cheap. We live in Clarence Gardens, which is a great, family friendly area. The median house price is about $460,000. It's slightly cheaper than areas closer to the city, but you would find cheaper housing further out. To get an idea of what areas cost to live in, you can check out domain.com.au or realestate.com.au to see what's on the market.

Edited by mazcatt

Salisbury is NOT a bad area! Like many places all around Adelaide there are good and bad pockets, but Salisbury in particular has some very posh bits. One of my son's friends lives in Salisbury and comes to a (high) school in Athelstone so really much much any of the north eastern suburbs are do-able for schooling for your child, but don't forget it's a lot easier for playdates etc if their school is fairly local.

I don't really know Salisbury, but my OH works in Mawson Lakes and we looked at a few suburbs up that way. Golden grove is quite nice and the schools there have a good reputation. We seriously considered Banksia Park as a suburb because the schools there look good, it's very green and it's close to my sister in law who lives in Fairview Park. In the end I decided that it was too far out from the city where I'm most likely to get work. It's also quite hilly round that way but this means if you get the right location you can get some lovely views. I'd agree with Diane that many if the North East suburbs would be suitable locations for commuting. We considered Athelstone, which is a lovely area with a good primary school, but it's in the zone for a senior school we did not want our kids going to and we can't afford to pay for them to go private. We ruled Mawson Lakes out for a similar reason, but also because it's all a bit new there for me, but it might be worth you having a look if you can stretch to the fees for private school.

Guest twinfamily

So there may be a few good suburbs near Salisbury. Anyone know of good nearby areas with good primary and secondary schools?

I heard that golden grove may have more mozzies as it had still water? Don't wanna be bitten lots! It'a v difficult lot try and decide when we've never visited!

Keep an open mind, find some short term accomodation somewhere in the northern part of Adelaide and have a good look round when you get here. Personally I'd recommend Rostrevor - you could probably do here to Salisbury in half an hour most days - but what suits me may be your idea of hell. Check out the schools in the northern/eastern suburbs on the myschool website and rule out areas that don't have great schools, see what you're left with and start from there.

I heard that golden grove may have more mozzies as it had still water? Don't wanna be bitten lots! It'a v difficult lot try and decide when we've never visited!

You may be mixing Golden Grove up with Mawson Lakes which had the nickname "Mozzie Lakes" for a while (coz of the Lakes, funnily enough...). I've never heard anything about excessive mozzies in Golden Grove area. Do a search on the site as there have been quite good posts about both Mawson Lakes and Golden Grove in the past on here, and not much will have changed! We're by the river in Highbury and certainly don't have more mozzies than average here - have had more bites from sandflies at the beach - from my experience most mozzies seem to proliferate in people's water tanks if they don't keep them treated, rather than any natural water features that are in suburban Adelaide. As Nic says, keep an open mnd and check it out when you get here. Quite a few site members have short term furnished rental properties that are more central or northern - have a look at Kris's places (http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/member.php?u=4108) and Rachel's (http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/member.php?u=4261) and Donna's (http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/member.php?u=636) for starters

Guest Jazz23

Definitely eastern suburbs for schools

Check out http://www.myschool.edu.au will give you an idea of how the school performs academically, however you need to read the results in context.

Im not sure what IB means..sorry

If you have lots of money

Pembroke (Kensington primary and secondary)

Pulteney Grammar (city primary and secondary)

st Andrews (walkerville primary only)

If you don't mind carholic

st ignatius has 2 campuses both in eastern suburbs, primary n secondary

Public schools

.Walkerville Primary

norwood primary

Note I assumed you wanted co-ed....there are some all boys or all girls private schools which are very good also.

Cheers

Jaz